Frank Buckles - An American Hero

danelectro59

I find it rather disparaging that this story got as little attention as it did, but then I guess people just aren't into, or don't care about history as much as they used to. Here was the last living link to a war that shaped the 20th century and still has implications to this day ie; the Middle East and the Muslim world which was thwarted by the Ottomans for 300+ years. I know it's much more exciting to read the exploits of Charlie Sheen than care about a 110 year old man, but I personally find stories like this much more fascinating than some overpaid, egotistical drugged out idiot who I give a rat's ass about. But hey, he's not the train wreck. That would be the modern day media.

Anyway, for those who care

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/02/28/AR2011022800165.html

This becomes even more interesting as there are now only two known WWI veterans left period. I was going to post their names but thought it might be more appropriate for people to look into this themselves and read up on these forgotten heros and their generation

Archived