Robert Plant test pressing

reswati

A question for those who might know.

How many of this record are known to exist (This is a test pressing made for what would become a promo on EsParanza)

http://cgi.ebay.nl/w...e=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Also does anyone know when and where the live tracks on the B-side were recorded?

At least one is known to exist...obviously...but there are probably additional copies that were pressed. I have a few Robert Plant test pressings and acetates in my archive for various singles and albums. They are relatively hard to find. I believe Plant test pressing singles usually sell for around $50, albums about $75 - $100 and acetates $150 - $250.

I haven't heard this particular test pressing but I believe all the live tracks used for promotional purposes that year are sourced from the Westwood One Superstars in Concert (Show #88-13) radio program which aired across the USA the weekend of July 1-3 1988. The performance was originally recorded on May 23, 1988 at The Spectrum in Philadelphia.

Thanks for the info, Steve.

Since I bought this gizmo for 19 euro and 99 cents it seems I got lucky, and I absolutely love the live version of Ship of fools.

I'm gonna search for the complete show.

Greetings from the other side of the planet!

Thanks for the info, Steve.

Since I bought this gizmo for 19 euro and 99 cents it seems I got lucky, and I absolutely love the live version of Ship of fools.

I'm gonna search for the complete show.

Greetings from the other side of the planet!

I have the original vinyl (3 LP) for the complete radio broadcast in long term archival storage. I will PM you. There is also an audience recording in circulation but my index listing shows that one has eluded me thus far. It was a brilliant performance.

I haven't heard this particular test pressing but I believe all the live tracks used for promotional purposes that year are sourced from the Westwood One Superstars in Concert (Show #88-13) radio program which aired across the USA the weekend of July 1-3 1988. The performance was originally recorded on May 23, 1988 at The Spectrum in Philadelphia.

I could be wrong Steve, but I remember this broadcast. I think the material may have been a mix of the Philly show and from the Meadowlands in East Rutherford, NJ a few days earlier. I went to the show on the 17th. He did two shows there if I recall. Ticket sales were quite brisk. The second show was either the 18th or 19th.

I could be wrong Steve, but I remember this broadcast. I think the material may have been a mix of the Philly show and from the Meadowlands in East Rutherford, NJ a few days earlier. I went to the show on the 17th. He did two shows there if I recall. Ticket sales were quite brisk. The second show was either the 18th or 19th.

He did perform at the Meadowlands on May 17th & 18th 1988 but I don't think Westwood One was there to record that night. I don't know for certain. I will have to look into this further.

My sources say that both songs were recorded 5/23/88 in Philadelphia. The songs were pressed on a 12" promo single (see here) but never officially released.

The "Superstar Concert Series" radio special from July 1988 features a soundboard recording of the same show.

Archived