Whitesnake

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

This was the best Whitesnake line up to my ears unfortunately the perception is that David treated his band mates much like groupies and judging by the rotating circus of GREAT players over the years perhaps the perception was true…Bernie Marsden and Mickey Moody were one of the best guitar combo’s around backed by the mighty Jon Lord of course on the lower video.

These guys rocked as a unit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaIUG-g5N80]

The 1987 line-ups through to 1991 didn’t sound like they did many rehearsals for any songs to be honest. Maybe it’s just me, and they had rehearsals left right and centre but it doesn’t sound that way to me ears. Also that 1987 -1991 had really shite background vocals.

I know that on the Japanese tour for Coverdale/Page around 1994 that David was messing up lyrics as well. That kind of thing upsets me because far to many lead singers and or spokesperson of bands think it’s okay to charge $100 a ticket for a subpar performance which is angers me.

And David knew better

It sounds as if they did n't rehearse it

Rockpages.gr: So, if David called you up today and asked you to do another album like in the old days, what would your answer be?

Micky Moody: I’d say “yes” without any second thinking. I don’t think that he will, though…(laughs)! David wants to work with young and fit musicians. We are certainly not young…I look good compared to Bernie…(laughs), but not that good for Coverdale.

http://www.rockpages.gr/detailspage.aspx?id=3143&type=1&lang=EN

• 1 year later...

Whitesnake Recruits Night Ranger Guitarist Joel Hoekstra

Whitesnake has recruited Joel Hoekstra (Night Ranger) as its new guitarist following the departure of Doug Aldrich.

Says Whitesnake mainman David Coverdale: "One of the first, if not the first, guitarists to put his name forward after hearing that Doug Aldrich had left the band was an exceptionally talented musician whom we had met briefly last year when his band opened for Whitesnake in Arizona.

"We jammed together and were mutually impressed enough to ask him to join Whitesnake on the spot. This was May 30th, 2014.

"Joel is currently fulfilling his remaining tour dates with Night Ranger.

"We sincerely thank you all for your patience and understanding...and so, without further ado, we ask you to welcome, as we have done, our exceptionally gifted new Snake brother...Joel Hoekstra...guitarist extraordinaire."

"We couldn't be happier for Joel," Night Ranger said in a Facebook post announcing Hoekstra's departure from the band. "The last eight-plus years have been a blast, and we wish him nothing but the best."

Hoekstra appeared on two Night Ranger studio efforts, 2011's "Somewhere In California" and the recently released "High Road", as well as on 2012's 30th-anniversary acoustic concert set "24 Strings & A Drummer".

Aldrich left Whitesnake on May 7, explaining in a statement that he "had several recording and live commitments, so [he] needed a more flexible schedule to conclude these before going full force as normal." He added: "Unfortunately, my schedule was not workable."

Coverdale recently revealed that Whitesnake was "deep into the pre-production of the new Whitesnake project, which is so exciting to me, it's beyond words."

Aldrich played on the last two Whitesnake albums, 2008's "Good To Be Bad" and 2011's "Forevermore", and appeared on several live releases, including last year's "Made In Japan" and "Made In Britain/The World Records".

Dutch guitarist Adrian Vandenberg, who was a member of Whitesnake during the band's successful late 1980s period, recently told the classic rock program "Radio Fireball" about the possibility of rejoining Whitesnake: "Never say never. David and I will always do something in the future, whether it's with the two of us acoustically or whether it's a blues album or a rock album or a tour. We are too good friends not to do it and we have too much fun working together. But it has to be next to [Adrian's current project] Vandenberg's Moonkings, not instead of."

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/whitesnake-recruits-night-ranger-guitarist-joel-hoekstra/

post-15049-0-91795900-1408841521_thumb.j

Edited by luvlz2

Rockpages.gr: So, if David called you up today and asked you to do another album like in the old days, what would your answer be?

Micky Moody: I’d say “yes” without any second thinking. I don’t think that he will, though…(laughs)! David wants to work with young and fit musicians. We are certainly not young…I look good compared to Bernie…(laughs), but not that good for Coverdale.

http://www.rockpages.gr/detailspage.aspx?id=3143&type=1&lang=EN

Coverdale's insistence on staffing his band with pretty boys is misguided, imo. This female rock fan appreciates eye candy but I don't expect it in a band that's been around as long as Whitesnake. IMO, Coverdale should fire the pretty boys and give Micky Moody and Bernie a call.

Playing armchair psychologist...I wonder if Coverdale's obsession with appearance stems from his experiences in Deep Purple. From what I've read, he was chubby and had a wandering eye when Deep Purple discovered him. Their management put him on a diet and had his eye fixed. The obvious message this conveyed would have been that looks mattered. Then they hired Glenn Hughes, a good looking bloke and a talented singer, as their new bass player.

Edited by Disco Duck

Coverdale's insistence on staffing his band with pretty boys is misguided, imo. This female rock fan appreciates eye candy but I don't expect it in a band that's been around as long as Whitesnake. IMO, Coverdale should fire the pretty boys and give Micky Moody and Bernie a call.

Playing armchair psychologist...I wonder if Coverdale's obsession with appearance stems from his experiences in Deep Purple. From what I've read, he was chubby and had a wandering eye when Deep Purple discovered him. Their management put him on a diet and had his eye fixed. The obvious message this conveyed would have been that looks mattered. Then they hired Glenn Hughes, a good looking bloke and a talented singer, as their new bass player.

You nailed it! We are all fucked, and image is important to a point, and Coverdale forgot where the point ends however - I mean some guys are naturally fat guys who try and keep it in check which is cool, but if they are seen just giving up and piling on the weight it creates the impression that they don't care and just running through the motions. Remember, rock n roll is also about "us vs them" or as Ian Hunter wrote "one of the boys", and if the perception is that they don't care, they are no longer part of the "us". But David in my view put that ahead of the music when the music should have been the end game.

I also agree that David Coverdale should make the phone call to Mickey and Bernie and say, let's do it, let's make a record before it's too late, they are not kids anymore, and frankly, the music they recorded together was the best Whitsnake era overall and Bernie and Mickey have GREAT backing vocals, and still kick ass on the guitar

Whitesnake was a band that in my view was never managed well either, they never seemed to be able to put together a proper Canadian tour which was odd, and my friends who live in New England feel the same way, the band never really toured New England. They had followers everywhere here in Canada. Always wanted to see them live but was never prepared to fly or drive to Toronto. If they went out on tour with Def Leppard in North America I believe it would be a smashing success.