Page with the Lips?

Chap

I for one think this would be awesome. The Lips are the kind of edgy and experimental group Page would do well to work with.

Agreed. And the Lips would certainly benefit from the wow factor that a truly evocative guitarist could add. Page is best when he defies expectation, even the expectation of his most ardent fans.

:smiley_pray:

Ohhhhh yeeeaaaahhhhhh! This would be incredible...I am praying it happens. I've heard the Lips cover Song Remains the Same and Kashmir and their song "Are You A Hypnotist?" from the Yoshimi album has one of the best Bonham-esque beats I've ever heard.

Have i understand it right? Jimmy will release something with the lips? :o

Maybe, we don't know that for certain.

"I know he likes our music," said Coyne of the legendary Led Zeppelin guitarist. "It doesn't always mean we get to sit in the same room as someone, and lot of times you're just sending tracks back and forth, but I'm hoping he's open to it. We always have a lot of stuff that someone like Jimmy Page could play over and we have a whole year to try and work this out."

pitchfork.com

That would be so excellent. I have been really underwhelmed with almost all of his collaborations since the end of the Firm (his guitar work on that was superb, weird, atmospheric and kind of punk).

He seems to want to work with very safe people typically, I don't know why. His approach to music has really taken a serious downturn (generally speaking) after the release of Outrider, a good CD to me. I don't think much of the original music he had on the IMGL movie, it seemed aimless to me. Seeing him play I Will Follow was great though, Page playing something interesting, out of the classic rock mould.

Although the article mentions specifically the guitar, I would like to see a greatly expanded use of the Theremin in a lips setting. That could be epic. As I said upthread, I love many facets of Jimmy's playing, but my favorites are when he is innovating and defying expectation--the bow, the Theremin, following LZ2 with a big bunch of acoustic stuff, using a B-bender in a non-country way, guitar through a leslie, Chopin on a Les Paul, being the premier guitarist in the world and hitting the stage with a $50 Danelectro -- I just love that stuff.

I truly love the Deathwish 2 soundtrack stuff--Jimmy working with a thread, a motif--all of these skills are at play here and would serve him well with the Lips. A lack of Junk coupled with his seemingly new-found work ethic could generate really interesting things. One thing I would have loved to see finished and brought to complete fruition was the Lucifer Rising Soundtrack for Kenneth Anger. The timing of that, along with Page's personal demons, prevented it becoming what it could have been. But now?

I think it (collaboration with the Lips) could be magic--and also decidedly FORWARD looking and not rehash and retrospective.

Edited by Chap

Chap, I get what you posted! Page defying expectations is the only Page for me. Like when he was onstage for ARMS, sticking out like a sore thumb, with a punk rock guitar tone and moving around like a complete skid. That to me was rock n roll, not classic rock. Excellent observation on the guitar hero with a $5 guitar. I like how he used what looked like a leather belt for a guitar strap during Zep. I think a great example of defied expectations is Page going from the Cumular Limit sessions, where he sounded very mod (to me), and the next album he put out was the 1st Zep album, definitely not mod. Great.

I bought IMGL on iTunes and it had extras but not this. Darn... anything else I'm missing?

Other extras include:

-All three discussing strings.

-All three playing Kashmir and Seven Nation Army.

-Jimmy playing Four Sticks

-Jimmy on theremin.

There's other stuff too, Jimmy's new acoustic piece is worth it on it's own!

Awwww, feather in the wind: KEEP HOPE ALIVE! :)

Yeah, it's been frustrating lately...but I refuse to give up hope that Pagey has at least one more trick up his sleeve.

And as for the guy who said...no, I'm not even going to dignify his lame-ass comment by responding.

Edited by Strider

all i can do is sit and wait.

There have been significant periods of time between creative projects for Page. 5 yrs. between Outrider and the Coverdale thing. 5 yrs. until WIC after that. I don't really count Unledded as a a break in the wait period, as there was very little in the way of new songs there. Then, not much. I put the Black Crows tour in the same area as Unledded, only more so. Nothing new there.

I agree that a F. Lips project could be amazing. I like the idea of a theramin heavy show.

I think he needs to get away from any trademarks for now, like the Les Paul. Just to take a break and get out of his comfort zone. I think the musical results could be nice.