Anyone Else Miss The 90's?

OutriderX

Regarding music tastes and the fact that some people out there prefer "Classic Rock" and "Old School Music" to the stuff which is being produced today, well, it's their choice. There is nothing wrong with that. I personally think it is very unfair to accuse a person of being too lazy to discover things. That is in my book, jumping to unnecessary conclusions. Every person is different and every person is an individual with unique tastes and preferences. There is this saying called "Each to his own", you know?. I think that saying should be applied more frequently on this forum. If my post annoys anyone who thinks otherwise, then that's just too fuckin bad. Who are we to judge a person's music taste anyway? Are our music tastes perfect? Well, the answer to that is "it depends". It is all very subjective if you ask me.

As for my tastes in music, well, I love a variety of bands and genres. Some of my favourite bands are from the 50's and 60's (especially some obscure garage rock bands from countries like France and Mexico), some are from the 70's and some have been on the indie music scene for just 5 years or even less. I do not feel the need to keep checking whether I am indeed following current trends as far as music is concerned, just to come across as "broad minded" and "open" in order to please people :rolleyes:

If a particular musical composition is pleasing to my ears, I listen to it. If it ain't, I just chuck it and move on.

To me, hunting for "new music", especially looking for bands in the indie music scene, is a hobby, I enjoy most immensely. That's why I am a member of sites like last.fm. But I also get that there are people who are comfortable sticking to the "older" bands such as Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd (for instance). Take the case of my dad for example. He is 56 years old. He loves Led Zeppelin, The Doors, Pink Floyd, Queen and other well known bands from the late 60's and 70's. I tried to get him into some "new music" which I discovered recently, but he kept dismissing the so-called "current bands" I listen to. Can't say I wasn't annoyed with his attitude. I also thought he was experiencing a "stuck in the 70's syndrome" where a person believes that good music comes from bands which existed in the 70's alone or even earlier for that matter. But, my mom told me something which made me think. It was something like this : "Goodness! Let the man be in peace and listen to what he loves. Don't shove your "new" music down his throat. I can't ever recall your dad trying to push his music collection down your throat. He pretty much gave you the freedom to choose and discover music, be it old or new, all on your own and allowed your music tastes to evolve through time without interfering or judging you in any way. So, can't you behave in the same fashion too and respect his tastes?". I just sat in silence after my mom's little lecture, thinking that no truer words have been spoken. I am in no way competent enough to judge or jump to conclusions that my dad is a narrow minded guy, just because his tastes in music are dominated by bands from the 60's and 70's. It doesn't seem fair at all! The same thing goes for folks on this forum.

As far as deviating from the topic is concerned, well, don't hold me responsible. I have my opinions and I do think that have every right to express them.

There was NO new music in the ruddy 80s......only Saturday Night Fever crap:):):)

The 80s is one of my favorite eras of music.

As for the "I'm stuck in the 60s/70s" discussion. It's one thing to own up to it, it's quite another to say there's no good music in 2011 while in the same breath saying you refuse to listen to it.

I can't say I miss the 90s but then again I've always been one that lives in the now and doesn't long for the past, no matter the decade.

There was NO new music in the ruddy 80s......only Saturday Night Fever crap:):):)

You are aware that Saturday Night Fever was disco, and that disco wasn't in the 80s?

BTW, it's kind of funny how people are confusing one argument for another re: good music being made today, as opposed to classic rock from the 60s and 70s. If you say that you prefer listening to older music, that's cool. I prefer listening to it as well. There's a difference between saying that though, and saying that there are no good bands making music right now, and that the only good music available to listen to is stuff that was made 40 years ago. There are a ton of great bands and great music out there right now, it's just not beaten to death on corporate radio/TV. Last.FM, Pandora, Grooveshark, the "Current Music Recommendations" thread in the Other Bands section of the board.....those are all places to go to look for it.

I don't believe in closing yourself off from an entire generation of music just because it requires more effort to listen to than just turning on the radio. Yes, a good chunk of stuff out there right now is pretty pants, but a good chunk of it isn't, either.

I definitely found things to love in the 80s that were very different than what I loved in the 70s. You can probably tell by some of the "What I am listening to now" and "What song is stuck in your head" songs that I put up. Our family has everything covered from Rap/Hip Hop to Motown, R&B, Disco, Country, Techno Pop, Pop, classic and alt rock and even a little classical. About the only genre none of us listen to is that screaming death metal stuff or anything sinister/violent.

BTW, it's kind of funny how people are confusing one argument for another re: good music being made today, as opposed to classic rock from the 60s and 70s. If you say that you prefer listening to older music, that's cool. I prefer listening to it as well. There's a difference between saying that though, and saying that there are no good bands making music right now, and that the only good music available to listen to is stuff that was made 40 years ago. There are a ton of great bands and great music out there right now, it's just not beaten to death on corporate radio/TV. Last.FM, Pandora, Grooveshark, the "Current Music Recommendations" thread in the Other Bands section of the board.....those are all places to go to look for it. I don't believe in closing yourself off from an entire generation of music just because it requires more effort to listen to than just turning on the radio. Yes, a good chunk of stuff out there right now is pretty pants, but a good chunk of it isn't, either.

I really love Pandora, I have discovered quite a few bands I never would have otherwise; although I was resistant at first to not being able to choose specific songs, like you can in Grooveshark (I contracted malware more than once from Grooveshark, unfortunately; from the ads, I think). You're right about keeping an open mind and seeking out new stuff. :)

You are aware that Saturday Night Fever was disco, and that disco wasn't in the 80s?

BTW, it's kind of funny how people are confusing one argument for another re: good music being made today, as opposed to classic rock from the 60s and 70s. If you say that you prefer listening to older music, that's cool. I prefer listening to it as well. There's a difference between saying that though, and saying that there are no good bands making music right now, and that the only good music available to listen to is stuff that was made 40 years ago. There are a ton of great bands and great music out there right now, it's just not beaten to death on corporate radio/TV. Last.FM, Pandora, Grooveshark, the "Current Music Recommendations" thread in the Other Bands section of the board.....those are all places to go to look for it.

I don't believe in closing yourself off from an entire generation of music just because it requires more effort to listen to than just turning on the radio. Yes, a good chunk of stuff out there right now is pretty pants, but a good chunk of it isn't, either.

Let's get this straight......most of the disco music created in the late 70s paved the way for the rest of the silly 80s...THAT is why I say the 80s absorbed all the heritage of the late 70s.....unfortunately many bands that sprung from the 70s jumped onto the disco bandwagon started in the late 70s (eg. Kiss with Dynasty, Boston that never truly found its way back into true rock,and so on:):). That's why the whole NY scene (Blondie, etc.) started the "new wave" thing in the first place...to rid the 80s of the disco stuff:):)

Plzzzzzzdo not fall into the trap of associating sterile disco with Motown....it doesn't work that way:):)

Plzzzzzzdo not fall into the trap of associating sterile disco with Motown....it doesn't work that way:):)

Where did I say anything about Motown? Better yet, where did I compare disco music to Motown? If you're going to quote something I've said, make sure your response matches the post you quoted.

LOL! I wasn't talking about the 80's at all :lol: I was just trying to drive home the fact that music tastes are subjective and very very personal and it is up to the individual concerned to decide whether or not to look for new and note worthy stuff to listen to and the fact that a third person pretty much has no business to make judgements.

Personally, I have a couple of bands who are my absolute favourites who pretty much started out in the 80's like "The Bangles" and "Bon Jovi". I also love the work of bands like INXS from the 80's. I am sure your opinions are way different to mine, but hey, as the old saying goes "each to his own" ;)

And ummm....wasn't Saturday Night Fever a product of the 70's? A very nice product, if I may add :P Besides, since disco practically died in the 80's, that movie sure wouldn't have survived that decade! :lol:

As far as mainstream art goes I'd say film was weaker in the 90's compaired to the 00's but music was stronger.

You had Tarantino, the Coens(both still going in the 00's) and a few others procuding interesting cinema but the blockbusters from the 90's are mostly pretty uninspired CGI showreels like Jurassic Park and Inderpendance Day. There are still obviously plenty of them today but I think the Lord Of The Rings films reintroduced the idea that great cinema could make big money.

With music I just get the sense that the 00's was a decade that really lacked a defining movement to shake things up. The 90's benefited from alot of talent that had been building up in the 80's and the movements they launched. The 00's on the other hand were much more focused on continuing movements such as "indie", grunge, hip hop etc that had lost there spark. Living in the UK we've had an endless stream of "NME front cover" indie bands who while they've been pleasent enough havent for me come near to matching the output of the likes of The Stone Roses, Blur, Primal Scream, Spiriutalized, Radiohead etc. The likes of The Strokes strike me as entirely unremarkable, a sure sign of image and hype rather than musical genius coming to the fore again and record companies started to gain too much control ala the 80's.

Give The Strokes another try. They're really fab, and Julian Casablancas actually IS a musical genius - as in the Grades etc he has gained in study. He's amazing, and so are they. xx

You know what they say about the 90's right_______if you remember them, then you weren't there! **puff-puff pass**

That was the '60's and I was there and I do remember them!

As for the '90's not at all.

Thanks for posting that! :D Seinfeld is one of my all time favourite comedy shows. I started watching the show during the 00's while in my mid-teens! Good stuff, that's for sure! I will ALWAYS remember the 90's for ground-breaking comedy shows like "Seinfeld" B)

And while we are on the subject of T.V shows from the 90's, I thought I'll include this :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYvuncXC6Ws

And this :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWBpU-wK52w

Give The Strokes another try. They're really fab, and Julian Casablancas actually IS a musical genius - as in the Grades etc he has gained in study. He's amazing, and so are they. xx

I'v heard plenty of his work and I think he's along way from a "genius", that to be entails work of the quality of The Stone Roses or Radiohead and The Strokes never produced that. They were IMHO ultimately just a decent garage rock band sold on image and sex appeal in much the same calculated fashion as say Britney Spears, just look at the background he came from and its a dead giveaway.

I don't think his background should be held against him - his talent is undeniable. His background didn't create the great songs or have any effect on the other musicians in the band. If you have listened to them/seen them live and still don't like them, fair enough, but to raise this accusation is just wrong. You don't have to be from the dirt tracks to be a genuine musician.

And IMHO they blow The Stone Roses out of the water. Good thing we all have different taste ;)

Oh and BTW you talk of The Strokes as if they are in the past. Their new album is fantastic. :)

I don't think his background should be held against him - his talent is undeniable. His background didn't create the great songs or have any effect on the other musicians in the band. If you have listened to them/seen them live and still don't like them, fair enough, but to raise this accusation is just wrong. You don't have to be from the dirt tracks to be a genuine musician.

And IMHO they blow The Stone Roses out of the water. Good thing we all have different taste ;)

Oh and BTW you talk of The Strokes as if they are in the past. Their new album is fantastic. :)

I wouldnt necessarily hold his background agenst him if it werent so obvious that it had a massive part in his sucess, both in terms opportunity and the way his work was/is sold. Not that I hate the Strokes but I found them very unremarkable and I think such an unremarkable band achiveing such massive sucess based on hype/image was a sign of what we've seen happen thoughout the 00's with "indie rock", mostly uninspired corperate junk sold on fake credibility.

Archived