Anyone Else Miss The 90's?

OutriderX

I tend to agree that the '90s were an improvement on the '80s. I was never a fan of Grunge music. I suppose the '90s ushered in a new political age both in Britain and the US which was a vast improvement on the New Right ideology of the '80s.

In terms of personal milestones, the '90s was the decade I got into Zeppelin, saw Page and Plant live for the first time, and started my university education.

Whatever the genre name or else, the IMPORTANT THING IS THAT IT KICKED OUT THE YMCA/DISCO/DANCE CRAP OF THE 80S....FOR GOOD :):):)

Not to be argumentative, but YMCA was a 70s song, Disco began in the 70s - I loved the music of the 70s - and the 80s and the 90s and now too. I hear great new music just about every day. I don't limit my taste according to decades - and I don't believe that everything changed at midnight on 31at December 1989.

Just giving another perspective.

No, not really. Granted I was a teenager for the latter part of the decade, but I wouldn't give up much to suddenly find a time machine and be transported back. Just like any decade, there were good things and bad things.

Much like Knebby, I also think that there's great music in every decade, sometimes you just have to be willing to look for it instead of relying on the radio to spoon-feed it to you.

Musically, I personally think it is hard to top the Sixties and Seventies.

You had The Beatles, Motown, The Girl Groups, The Stones, Beach Boys, Jimi Hendrix, The Mamas and the Papas, Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, Bob Dylan, Simon and Garfunkel, Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye, Rod Stewart, James Taylor, Carole King, Cream, Led Zeppelin, The Who, Yes, Santana, Bee Gees, Fleetwood Mac, Joni Mitchell, Elton John, and on and on it goes.

Can someone offer up a list for the groups that had the same musical impact from the 1990's?

I tuned it all out, but I'm genuinely interested.

Thanks...................missy

I really hate that argument. "Oh well, the 60s and 70s had blippity bloppity bloop, what band from the ______'s is like that?"

No group, regardless of when they started, are anything like the bands you mentioned. None of the bands you mentioned are even anything like each other. It's also a tad disingenuous to suggest that a band that's only been around for 20 years or less could have the same cache or impact as a group like The Rolling Stones. By saying that there's been plenty of great music in the years since those groups, is not the same as saying that the great music that has been around is exactly on the same level as music from thirty years previous. It's not. It hasn't been around long enough. Largesse doesn't happen immediately, you know.

I'm sorry, but if you really and truly believe there's been no good music since December 31st, 1979, you're just lazy and don't feel like putting out the effort to find stuff that isn't beat to death on pop radio. I don't even listen to the radio anymore; I use the internet and word of mouth to find stuff nowadays that's worth listening to.

Not to be argumentative, but YMCA was a 70s song, Disco began in the 70s - I loved the music of the 70s - and the 80s and the 90s and now too. I hear great new music just about every day. I don't limit my taste according to decades - and I don't believe that everything changed at midnight on 31at December 1989.

Just giving another perspective.

Verty late 70s actually....that period that paved the way for senseless disco rot!!! Of course it's not merely a de cade thing....but I'd wilingly cancel the RIGHT-WING 80s off the calendar any day...if I could :):)

I'm sorry, but if you really and truly believe there's been no good music since December 31st, 1979, you're just lazy and don't feel like putting out the effort to find stuff that isn't beat to death on pop radio. I don't even listen to the radio anymore; I use the internet and word of mouth to find stuff nowadays that's worth listening to.

Of course there's been some good music since '79...the only GOOD pop bands I can think of are: The Knack, The Shirts, Blondie, The pandoras, The Bangles....:):):)

No, not really. Granted I was a teenager for the latter part of the decade, but I wouldn't give up much to suddenly find a time machine and be transported back. Just like any decade, there were good things and bad things.

Much like Knebby, I also think that there's great music in every decade, sometimes you just have to be willing to look for it instead of relying on the radio to spoon-feed it to you.

For me and many like me, the 80s represent the DARK AGES of music...they are better left where they lie...BURIED FOREVER:):)

I'm sorry, but if you really and truly believe there's been no good music since December 31st, 1979, you're just lazy

Electro,

I don't believe I said that at all.

I said personally I thought it would be hard to top those two decades (as in better than).

I did tune out a lot of the music of the Nineties. This is a thread about the Nineties, not everything post 1980.

I'll ask again if someone can provide me with the great groups or singers they personally think came out of that period.

Because I may have missed something good. Example: Zero 7. Just discovered them recently and love the music.

As far as all time favorite music, I guess I will always be a retro girl. :) ................missy

Electro,

I don't believe I said that at all.

I said personally I thought it would be hard to top those two decades (as in better than).

I did tune out a lot of the music of the Nineties. This is a thread about the Nineties, not everything post 1980.

I'll ask again if someone can provide me with the great groups or singers they personally think came out of that period.

Because I may have missed something good. Example: Zero 7. Just discovered them recently and love the music.

As far as all time favorite music, I guess I will always be a retro girl. :) ................missy

Missy I have to agree with you. :) I think the '60s and '70s were the best decades in terms of the quality of music (popular/rock music) produced. This is the consensus amongst most of people (well everyone) I know. There is not a band today that has the same status as Zeppelin or the Stones. I believe we'll never see a band like the Beatles ever again. I'm not saying all music since the '70s is not worth listening to, but I don't think it is of the same quality. Jimmy Page was asked in a recent interview on radio to name a band today that he thought was similar to Zeppelin, and he just mumbled and didn't really say anything. I think that says it all really. Members on here can bash my opinion if they want, but you won't change it.

Of course there are no bands today with the same status of Led Zeppelin or the Stones. Those bands have been around for forty years. Bands today haven't. That doesn't mean that in the next 30 years bands that are around right now won't be looked at the same way. There's no way to know. Claiming that music today doesn't have "quality" is just a cop-out, really. There's tons of quality music out there, you just have to be willing to look for it. Most people aren't.

As for post-1980 (or very late 70s): U2, Beck, Joss Stone, The Black Keys, Sigur Ros, Goldfrapp, Fleet Foxes, The Replacements, REM, Pearl Jam, Sonic Youth, Imelda May, Brian Setzer Orchestra, Velvet Revolver, Them Crooked Vultures, The Bangles, The Sundays, Echo and the Bunnymen, Visage.....and many, many more I'm forgetting here.

Most of what I listened to in the 90s was pretty mellow because of the kids: 10,000 Maniacs, Sarah McLachlan, Dixie Chicks, :unsure: ummmmmm, I think those may be the only CDs I bought in that decade that were not for kids. Oh, I did buy the Alanis Morrissette cd. Think that's it.

I did like Nirvana and Pearl Jam and I like the White Stripes, although I did not listen to them until long after the 90s were over.

The best thing about the 90s was the 80s were over. :o

Music started being about music, again. The 80's were overwrought with pyrotechnics, skin-tight body suits, hairspray, whammy-bars, and cocaine driven orgys. See Motley Crue. The boys from the Northwest were more than happy to come out, guitar, cable, amp, a few lights, and play music. Albeit on heroin, but the focus shifted. I think I benefited from that.

I think Tool is one of the most significant bands to come out of the 90s, and Soundgarden to a slightly lesser extent since they didn't stay together.

They are as near to what Led Zeppelin was as any band today.

Danny Carey is easily one of the 3 greatest drummers since Bonzo.

And much like Zeppelin, their success isn't dependent on radio play, as evidenced by their last album, 10,000 Days, where the average track length is nearly 7 minutes.

Other significant bands from the 90s include Alice In Chains, Stone Temple Pilots, Ministry, Nine Inch Nails, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Primus, Faith No More, The Offspring, Rage Against The Machine.

As mentioned earlier, it's hard to compare them to artists that have been established for 40 years, but all of these bands brought legitimate hard rock to the table, and many of these I prefer to the likes of The Who, The Doors, The Stones and a few others of the old standards so many hold dear.

But then, that's just me - I like hard rock.

Reflecting back on the decade in which I grew up in, I think I'll have to say, yes. I was 3 years old in 1990. I would just love to re-live my childhood once again, where things were so simple back then. I was pretty much just this kid who didn't have a care in the world. I also feel that my parents were much happier then and that their marriage was stronger, although they have made it 30 years together. The only sad thing I remember rather vaguely was hearing about Freddie Mercury passing away from AIDS related complications. Believe it or not, just two years after Freddie Mercury's passing, I got to listen to my very first Queen song "The Seven Seas Of Rhye" at the tender age of 5. I didn't know anything about Queen back then, but I sure as hell was fascinated by what I heard through my dad's stereo. Also, during the 1990s, thanks to the nature of my dad's job, (he is a Marine Engineer, by the way), I got to travel the world with my mom and dad while practically living on board ship, during the summer vacation! :D I miss those days! :(

Regarding music tastes and the fact that some people out there prefer "Classic Rock" and "Old School Music" to the stuff which is being produced today, well, it's their choice. There is nothing wrong with that. I personally think it is very unfair to accuse a person of being too lazy to discover things. That is in my book, jumping to unnecessary conclusions. Every person is different and every person is an individual with unique tastes and preferences. There is this saying called "Each to his own", you know?. I think that saying should be applied more frequently on this forum. If my post annoys anyone who thinks otherwise, then that's just too fuckin bad. Who are we to judge a person's music taste anyway? Are our music tastes perfect? Well, the answer to that is "it depends". It is all very subjective if you ask me.

As for my tastes in music, well, I love a variety of bands and genres. Some of my favourite bands are from the 50's and 60's (especially some obscure garage rock bands from countries like France and Mexico), some are from the 70's and some have been on the indie music scene for just 5 years or even less. I do not feel the need to keep checking whether I am indeed following current trends as far as music is concerned, just to come across as "broad minded" and "open" in order to please people :rolleyes:

If a particular musical composition is pleasing to my ears, I listen to it. If it ain't, I just chuck it and move on.

To me, hunting for "new music", especially looking for bands in the indie music scene, is a hobby, I enjoy most immensely. That's why I am a member of sites like last.fm. But I also get that there are people who are comfortable sticking to the "older" bands such as Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd (for instance). Take the case of my dad for example. He is 56 years old. He loves Led Zeppelin, The Doors, Pink Floyd, Queen and other well known bands from the late 60's and 70's. I tried to get him into some "new music" which I discovered recently, but he kept dismissing the so-called "current bands" I listen to. Can't say I wasn't annoyed with his attitude. I also thought he was experiencing a "stuck in the 70's syndrome" where a person believes that good music comes from bands which existed in the 70's alone or even earlier for that matter. But, my mom told me something which made me think. It was something like this : "Goodness! Let the man be in peace and listen to what he loves. Don't shove your "new" music down his throat. I can't ever recall your dad trying to push his music collection down your throat. He pretty much gave you the freedom to choose and discover music, be it old or new, all on your own and allowed your music tastes to evolve through time without interfering or judging you in any way. So, can't you behave in the same fashion too and respect his tastes?". I just sat in silence after my mom's little lecture, thinking that no truer words have been spoken. I am in no way competent enough to judge or jump to conclusions that my dad is a narrow minded guy, just because his tastes in music are dominated by bands from the 60's and 70's. It doesn't seem fair at all! The same thing goes for folks on this forum.

As far as deviating from the topic is concerned, well, don't hold me responsible. I have my opinions and I do think that have every right to express them.

Reflecting back on the decade in which I grew up in, I think I'll have to say, yes. I was 3 years old in 1990. I would just love to re-live my childhood once again, where things were so simple back then. I was pretty much just this kid who didn't have a care in the world. I also feel that my parents were much happier then and that their marriage was stronger, although they have made it 30 years together. The only sad thing I remember rather vaguely was hearing about Freddie Mercury passing away from AIDS related complications. Believe it or not, just two years after Freddie Mercury's passing, I got to listen to my very first Queen song "The Seven Seas Of Rhye" at the tender age of 5. I didn't know anything about Queen back then, but I sure as hell was fascinated by what I heard through my dad's stereo. Also, during the 1990s, thanks to the nature of my dad's job, (he is a Marine Engineer, by the way), I got to travel the world with my mom and dad while practically living on board ship, during the summer vacation! :D I miss those days! :(

Kiwi, you should remember that old saying 'the best days are still yet to come'.

Regards music tastes, you're right, no one on here is right or wrong, there are only opinions which by their very nature are subjective. I'm not saying any more on the matter!

As far as mainstream art goes I'd say film was weaker in the 90's compaired to the 00's but music was stronger.

You had Tarantino, the Coens(both still going in the 00's) and a few others procuding interesting cinema but the blockbusters from the 90's are mostly pretty uninspired CGI showreels like Jurassic Park and Inderpendance Day. There are still obviously plenty of them today but I think the Lord Of The Rings films reintroduced the idea that great cinema could make big money.

With music I just get the sense that the 00's was a decade that really lacked a defining movement to shake things up. The 90's benefited from alot of talent that had been building up in the 80's and the movements they launched. The 00's on the other hand were much more focused on continuing movements such as "indie", grunge, hip hop etc that had lost there spark. Living in the UK we've had an endless stream of "NME front cover" indie bands who while they've been pleasent enough havent for me come near to matching the output of the likes of The Stone Roses, Blur, Primal Scream, Spiriutalized, Radiohead etc. The likes of The Strokes strike me as entirely unremarkable, a sure sign of image and hype rather than musical genius coming to the fore again and record companies started to gain too much control ala the 80's.

The best thing about the 90s was the 80s were over. :o

Music started being about music, again. The 80's were overwrought with pyrotechnics, skin-tight body suits, hairspray, whammy-bars, and cocaine driven orgys. See Motley Crue. The boys from the Northwest were more than happy to come out, guitar, cable, amp, a few lights, and play music. Albeit on heroin, but the focus shifted. I think I benefited from that.

EXACTLY.......nothing to do with the GOOD VIBES (that had been wiped out in the late 70s:(:().....the 90s for me were like a breath of very FRESH air!!!!:):)

As far as mainstream art goes I'd say film was weaker in the 90's compaired to the 00's but music was stronger.

You had Tarantino, the Coens(both still going in the 00's) and a few others procuding interesting cinema but the blockbusters from the 90's are mostly pretty uninspired CGI showreels like Jurassic Park and Inderpendance Day. There are still obviously plenty of them today but I think the Lord Of The Rings films reintroduced the idea that great cinema could make big money.

With music I just get the sense that the 00's was a decade that really lacked a defining movement to shake things up. The 90's benefited from alot of talent that had been building up in the 80's and the movements they launched. The 00's on the other hand were much more focused on continuing movements such as "indie", grunge, hip hop etc that had lost there spark. Living in the UK we've had an endless stream of "NME front cover" indie bands who while they've been pleasent enough havent for me come near to matching the output of the likes of The Stone Roses, Blur, Primal Scream, Spiriutalized, Radiohead etc. The likes of The Strokes strike me as entirely unremarkable, a sure sign of image and hype rather than musical genius coming to the fore again and record companies started to gain too much control ala the 80's.

If it hadn't been for some brave new wave bands and the Paisley Underground scene(thanx Greg Sage:):))....e.g. The Bangles, The Knack, The Shirts, Blondie.....The Wipers, The Pandoras, Greg Sage, Yard Trauma, etc. .......we woulld still be singing the CRAPPIEST tune in music history....YMCA....YYYYUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUKKKK:):)

Archived