Anyone Else Miss The 90's?

OutriderX

The stuff from the 90's was ok but I think that the 80's did some paving of it's own. Sure the disco of the 70's effected some of the music to come out in the 80's but the mass influx of metal and the compilation's of the different type's of metal was defiantly a complete throw-back to the heavy sounds of the earlier years in the 70's. Rock music (in what ever form) will always show it's ugly little head even if it get's sanitized and subdued by any POP subjugation that happens to be the thing for a day.

No disrespect to "In Bloom", "Heart-shaped Box" or "Teen Spirit" but I would recommend any of the song's on "The Bleach" album from 1986 (or 1987, I don't remember exactly) for Nirvana's better work. The Crew released there biggest disc "Dr Feel-good" in the early 90's so did thing's really change in the 90's?

PS.......I don't dislike POP music, just discussing the topic.

This band was one of many that would eventually be acknowledged for pioneering what's come to be known as "alt.country" and even spawned two bands in Wilco and Son Volt that have been just as influential as Uncle Tupelo. They're also a fine example of artists that were largely ignored by the mainstream yet somehow managed to spearhead an underground music movement who's repercussions are still being felt to this day, especially in works such as Plant's Band of Joy and Raising Sand (with Alison Krauss) records.

this ain't the Miami Heat locker-room.

:lol: OT for a moment, but I can't wait to hear them crying excuses come playoff time. A flashy team build for the regular season that will get a huge reality dose.

And Diamanda Galas is one seriously talented and formidable artist.

The stuff from the 90's was ok but I think that the 80's did some paving of it's own. Sure the disco of the 70's effected some of the music to come out in the 80's but the mass influx of metal and the compilation's of the different type's of metal was defiantly a complete throw-back to the heavy sounds of the earlier years in the 70's. Rock music (in what ever form) will always show it's ugly little head even if it get's sanitized and subdued by any POP subjugation that happens to be the thing for a day.

No disrespect to "In Bloom", "Heart-shaped Box" or "Teen Spirit" but I would recommend any of the song's on "The Bleach" album from 1986 (or 1987, I don't remember exactly) for Nirvana's better work. The Crew released there biggest disc "Dr Feel-good" in the early 90's so did thing's really change in the 90's?

It's not the pop that bothers me in rock improvement....it's the cheesy, slimey spineless attitude in rock just to sell more (by jumping onto wimpy bandwagons of music:):))

Correction...Dr. Feelgood was 1989 Decade of Decadence was 1991...My bad.

First, to clarify.

I am NOT a big 80s fan.

The Cure, The Smiths, and the rest of the Emo Wave (I just made that up, no idea if it's an actual designation - but it should be) I found tedious, at best.

But I don't discount the 80s as a whole because of those bands.

The 80s still had its share of major, influential music.

Metallica, anyone?

The 80s were Ozzy's solo heyday, as well as the Dio-led Sabbath years.

Many of the Death and Black Metal bands of the 90s evolved from Speed and Thrash Metal bands of the 80s.

So all of these "the 80s sucked PERIOD" comments (yeah, I'm lookin' at YOU, Spiders) are pretty myopic and stubborn.

One of my favorite under-rated artists of the 80s is Tony Carey, either with his Planet P Project or solo.

Allow your memory to be prodded, and see if any of these stir up anything from the recesses of your skull.

First, to clarify.

I am NOT a big 80s fan.

The Cure, The Smiths, and the rest of the Emo Wave (I just made that up, no idea if it's an actual designation - but it should be) I found tedious, at best.

But I don't discount the 80s as a whole because of those bands.

The 80s still had its share of major, influential music.

Metallica, anyone?

The 80s were Ozzy's solo heyday, as well as the Dio-led Sabbath years.

Many of the Death and Black Metal bands of the 90s evolved from Speed and Thrash Metal bands of the 80s.

So all of these "the 80s sucked PERIOD" comments (yeah, I'm lookin' at YOU, Spiders) are pretty myopic and stubborn.

One of my favorite under-rated artists of the 80s is Tony Carey, either with his Planet P Project or solo.

Allow your memory to be prodded, and see if any of these stir up anything from the recesses of your skull.

Kool insight....thanx :)

Yes I miss the 90's. All three of my daughters were home and every thing we did seemed fun. I had a blast.

I know this has turned into a Pop-Culture thread but I'll admit I really didn'y pay that much attention, Hate to sound sappy but you only get to be a parent once.

Yes I miss the 90's. All three of my daughters were home and every thing we did seemed fun. I had a blast.

I know this has turned into a Pop-Culture thread but I'll admit I really didn'y pay that much attention, Hate to sound sappy but you only get to be a parent once.

Absolutely ! I totally understand where you're coming from

Hey Levee, I know what you mean but I do have mixed emotions about it. In the 90's I was raising my girls, doing the girl scout thing, going to games, plays and what have ya. I miss some those things I did with my kids, but I do not miss having to deal with the sneaking out in the middle of the night, catching one smoking and other hard issues I had to deal with as a parent. I did some of the same crap when I was a kid and it was all coming around as payback for the stuff I did to my parents. Now I get to watch my oldest deal with her kids and let me tell you she is going to get some real good payback with a couple of hers.

I did lose touch with the music world in those years but now that I am an empty nester I have been getting back into enjoying the music of my youth, which is why I come here, and seeking out some new tunes. I enjoy the life the hubby and I have now as we persue amusements of our choosing and not worrying about kids being entertained.

So, while the 90's hold some dear and fond memories, I don't miss them.

That sounds like something an old grandparent would say.

Maybe you attached yourself to some of the limpwristed music of the 80s, but it sure sounds like you gave up ROCKIN' in the 70s....only to take it back up in the new millenium.

14ms67o.jpg

Normally I'd be offended, but I don't have time now. I have to do two pushups, drink some hot water and then nap before my stories come on.

Archived