No Quarter 5/25/75: Page uses right hand on fretboard?

RIP-IT-UP

Hello: I have the DVD of the EC 5/25/75 show, and in a rather frenetic version of No Quarter main solo , Jimmy reaches over to the fret board a couple times with his right hand during the solo. It happens twice that I spotted, about 3/4 thru the solo. Does anyone know what he's doing here? He doesn't seem to be "tapping" (ala Van Halen, or Steve Hackett); and obviously this was before "tapping" was popularized. He could be muting a string (I've seen other guitarists like Steve Howe reach over and mute strings with their right hand). But it's not clear. Any ideas anyone? Thanks

Hello: I have the DVD of the EC 5/25/75 show, and in a rather frenetic version of No Quarter main solo , Jimmy reaches over to the fret board a couple times with his right hand during the solo. It happens twice that I spotted, about 3/4 thru the solo. Does anyone know what he's doing here? He doesn't seem to be "tapping" (ala Van Halen, or Steve Hackett); and obviously this was before "tapping" was popularized. He could be muting a string (I've seen other guitarists like Steve Howe reach over and mute strings with their right hand). But it's not clear. Any ideas anyone? Thanks

He's just doing some strumming over the fretboard. Gives it a different tone. Very common technique. Keith Richards plays a lot of Stones songs using the same technique.

What Jimmy is really doing is reaching under the string with his guitar pick or finger on the fretboard with his picking hand and playing a pull-off with his fretting hand. It changes the pitch upward of the note in a flashy way. I saw him first use this technique during No Quarter on the 1977 tour.

What Jimmy is really doing is reaching under the string with his guitar pick or finger on the fretboard with his picking hand and playing a pull-off with his fretting hand. It changes the pitch upward of the note in a flashy way. I saw him first use this technique during No Quarter on the 1977 tour.

Yep, he does that too. Funny that he doesn't do the bend behind the nut on those parts, like he would during Dazed. I'm guessing that he just found it easier to do those bends that way by that point.

He doesn't seem to be "tapping" (ala Van Halen, or Steve Hackett)

Lest we forget, Edward Van Halen was inspired to tap after seeing Zeppelin in the early seventies- specifically Page doing the "Heartbreaker" solo. I'll give the official credit for tapping to Steve Hackett; SH was tapping on Genesis records at least five years before Van Halen's first LP.

(...although I chuckle at the image of a smacked out, '77 era Page down on his knees doing an "Eruption" or "Supper's Ready" style tapping solo :P )

Lest we forget, Edward Van Halen was inspired to tap after seeing Zeppelin in the early seventies- specifically Page doing the "Heartbreaker" solo. I'll give the official credit for tapping to Steve Hackett; SH was tapping on Genesis records at least five years before Van Halen's first LP.

(...although I chuckle at the image of a smacked out, '77 era Page down on his knees doing an "Eruption" or "Supper's Ready" style tapping solo :P )

According to Eddie in an interview, it was from the 6/25/72 show at The Forum.

Archived