Jimmy Page, Jeff Beck, Kirk Hammett, Joe Perry - Train Kept a Rollin

Well this confirms it; Jimmy's guitar strap wasn't the reason he didn't solo. He didn't solo because he didn't want to solo. He didn't want to solo because he didn't have his own guitar and equipment.

I remember hearing that he was unhappy about his famous jam with Jaco Pastorious because he was playing someone else's stuff. He also looked not at home when he was playing someone else's gear at the HOF when the Yardbirds were inducted. This makes sense to me...

Well this confirms it; Jimmy's guitar strap wasn't the reason he didn't solo. He didn't solo because he didn't want to solo. He didn't want to solo because he didn't have his own guitar and equipment.

I remember hearing that he was unhappy about his famous jam with Jaco Pastorious because he was playing someone else's stuff. He also looked not at home when he was playing someone else's gear at the HOF when the Yardbirds were inducted. This makes sense to me...

In other words...Jimmy is very stubborn for a good reason...not being in his comfort zone. Like a golfer using someone's clubs or a baseball player without his favorite bat etc. Out of their element!

I love the interaction between Jimmy and Joe Perry that starts around the 7:11 mark. It seems to me that after all these years that Joe is still in awe of Jimmy Page and his talents and wisdom. Joe seems to want to have (and hear) Jimmy do a solo. I see great admiration in Joe of Jimmy. It seems that to me that Jimmy is still the Master and Joe the eager Student. Classic.

Hmm, I don't know, something doesn't feel right. If Pagey's reasoning is that he didn't want to do a solo because he didn't have his own guitar, then why didn't he just bring it? I get that some musicians feel a certain symbiotic relationship with their instruments, but clearly it's not as if this gig was a surprise. Mind, there could've been a myriad of reasons why he didn't bring his own guitar... Just seems a bit off. That said, I love behind the scenes rehearsals, too. It's always interesting to see (albeit briefly here) the decisions made that eventually go into the performance.

Hmm, I don't know, something doesn't feel right. If Pagey's reasoning is that he didn't want to do a solo because he didn't have his own guitar, then why didn't he just bring it? I get that some musicians feel a certain symbiotic relationship with their instruments, but clearly it's not as if this gig was a surprise. Mind, there could've been a myriad of reasons why he didn't bring his own guitar... Just seems a bit off. That said, I love behind the scenes rehearsals, too. It's always interesting to see (albeit briefly here) the decisions made that eventually go into the performance.

Actually he did bring his own guitar; he brought the same 12 string he played on "Beck's Bolero" back in 1968 to perform it with Jeff. He probably wasn't anticipating doing anything more than that until he got to Cleveland and was asked to play "Train" too...

Actually he did bring his own guitar; he brought the same 12 string he played on "Beck's Bolero" back in 1968 to perform it with Jeff. He probably wasn't anticipating doing anything more than that until he got to Cleveland and was asked to play "Train" too...

Oh I see. Well then his explanation (while holding the Les Paul he pointed out wasn't his) makes even less sense. He certainly doesn't have to prove or explain anything, he can do what he wants (and he obviously did). Just something didn't seem to jive there...

Oh I see. Well then his explanation (while holding the Les Paul he pointed out wasn't his) makes even less sense. He certainly doesn't have to prove or explain anything, he can do what he wants (and he obviously did). Just something didn't seem to jive there...

Why doesn't it make sense? He brought a 12 string. He didn't bring a 6 string. You can't play a 12 string on Train, thus he was forced to use someone else's guitar...

Why doesn't it make sense? He brought a 12 string. He didn't bring a 6 string. You can't play a 12 string on Train, thus he was forced to use someone else's guitar...

Yes I was thinking about the soloing on the 12-string being a problem, though I don't really see the big deal of using another Les Paul anyway. If he's that picky, why leave the 6-string at home? But then I don't know when Train was brought into the fold. Is it definitive that Train was a late addition to the set? As in he found out about it being done after he arrived?

You gotta love Beck. He clearly says he's taking the first and last solo, several times. Then what does he do?

When it comes time to do the last solo, he turns around, walks away and stops playing. Obviously, he wasn't 'feelin it'.

Classic Beck.

• 5 months later...

I agree--it was jeff's show--not Jimmy's. Jimmy already had 2 inductions into the Hall of Fame.

Maybe he didn't play a solo, because it was Jeff's show. They are friends. It is not, that he hasn't it today. Look at O2, he is still the boss on guitar.

Also note that when Jeff and Jimmy jammed on "Immigrant Song" it was JEFF that did the soloing not Jimmy. I think Jimmy, gentleman that he is, wanted Jeff to shine on this night! If Jimmy wouldn't take the solo on his own song, there's no reason to wonder why he wouldn't solo on "Train".....

• 4 months later...

Jimmy has never really been keen to let it rip for "made for TV" events. Even during Zeppelins induction to the Hall he let Neil Young do the soloing and he just strummed along for the most part. Jimmy is not in to soloing for the camera. Additionally, his respect for Jeff is so that he didn't want the event to end up about a comparison of his solos compared to Jeff's, but rather people to focus on Jeff's ability to sustain himself as a wonderful talent over the past 40+ years. I don't think its a lack of confidence as much as Jimmy just being cool and sticking to his guns. I liked the way he brushed off Joe Perry's attempt to get him to do a side by side solo. Jimmy would have nothing to do with it......cool man!

^ I've been a part of jam sessions too, where most guys are meeting for the first time, everybody knows the basic idea of the song, etc, etc. But watching that video had me confused/scratching my bald head. Looks like they made a simple song seem way difficult. I love Metallica, but they looked totally baffled by the direction and planning of this arrangement.

Archived