What Happened to Music?

Kathryn

A rock n' roll record being banned from radio is a completely different thing than being banned from a message board.

Is it? I used to go on the Rolling Stones message board and I don't remember anyone ever being banned from it or anyone being killed or injured by anything anyone said on it. Maybe they weren't so quick to ban anyone because then they might get sued by someone wanting their hundred bucks back, but everyone got through it unscathed.

My 2 cents.........Don McLean was wrong when he sang "........the music died......" ....actually, the music died (/again) with the advent of such "starlettes" like Madonna, Lady Gaga, Beyoncè, J-LO, etc. :):)

I always thought the view point of the words to American Pie reminded me of someone who went to see Gimme Shelter and were over fixated on that still shot of Mick Jagger at the end right after he sees the killing, says; "see you all" and starts to leave. There's much more to that movie to appreciate than just Altamont.

TRUE music was NOT only Ray Charles....there was Little Richard, Elvis, etc. before him :):)!!!

Big Joe Turner was born in 1911 and as a child, sang on street corners for money. Big Mama Thornton performed shortly after 1941. Ray Charles began his early performing career in 1945, as did Little Richard. Ray Charles, Chuck Berry, Hank Williams and Little Richard were pretty much contemporaries of each other. Chuck Berry performed publicly in high school during the early 40s. Then Hank Williams came along shortly after and married Miss Audrey in 1943. She managed him and he began to record around that time. Elvis Presley burst onto the musical scene a few years later, as did Chuck Berry and Buddy Holly. Elvis performed on the Louisiana Hayride, as did many others, including Johnny Cash. Elvis started recording in 1953 and he performed on the Louisiana Hayride in 1954. Buddy Holly opened the bill for Elvis in 1955 in Lubbock, Texas. Chuck Berry went to Chicago in 1955 where he met Muddy Waters. Jimi Hendrix performed locally in Seattle during the 50s, and he saw Elvis Presley perform live in 1957 in Seattle. Mel Tillis began recording around 1957. Pam Tillis grew up in Nashville and performed at the Opry around 1965. Robert Plant covered a song written by Mel Tillis, "Stick With Me Baby" on the Raising Sand CD recorded with Allison Krauss in 2007. Then Pam Tillis met Robert Plant and thought she would die. But of course, there were other notables in music. It's only a brief synopsis of musical history. ;)

Let's get back to the topic here..............what happened to music? It DETERIORATED in the late 70s and continued to DETRIORATE in the 80s until grunge hit the scenes and made us forget the STERILITY of 80s music all together:):)

The 80's had metallica, megadeth, slayer and guns and roses. Some damn good bands right there. you all just talk about the popular crap on mtv and the radio. Shit in 1985 I predicted metallica would get as big as Zeppelin, and I would say they are damn close. Now the 90's sucked far worse than the 80's Ill give the 90's pantera , and nirva which I hated.

Getting banned is a rock 'n' roll tradition. Rock 'n' roll was started by leaders, now it's more about followers.

Its strange then that your taste in music seems geared towards those "following" the style of a previous generation rather than those "leading" it in new directions which you roundly dismiss.

Big Joe Turner was born in 1911 and as a child, sang on street corners for money. Big Mama Thornton performed shortly after 1941. Ray Charles began his early performing career in 1945, as did Little Richard. Ray Charles, Chuck Berry, Hank Williams and Little Richard were pretty much contemporaries of each other. Chuck Berry performed publicly in high school during the early 40s. Then Hank Williams came along shortly after and married Miss Audrey in 1943. She managed him and he began to record around that time. Elvis Presley burst onto the musical scene a few years later, as did Chuck Berry and Buddy Holly. Elvis performed on the Louisiana Hayride, as did many others, including Johnny Cash. Elvis started recording in 1953 and he performed on the Louisiana Hayride in 1954. Buddy Holly opened the bill for Elvis in 1955 in Lubbock, Texas. Chuck Berry went to Chicago in 1955 where he met Muddy Waters. Jimi Hendrix performed locally in Seattle during the 50s, and he saw Elvis Presley perform live in 1957 in Seattle. Mel Tillis began recording around 1957. Pam Tillis grew up in Nashville and performed at the Opry around 1965. Robert Plant covered a song written by Mel Tillis, "Stick With Me Baby" on the Raising Sand CD recorded with Allison Krauss in 2007. Then Pam Tillis met Robert Plant and thought she would die. But of course, there were other notables in music. It's only a brief synopsis of musical history. ;)

Thanx.....I dig RC as much as I do the others....but my faves remain Little Richard, Elvis and Chuck Berry....the ONLY TRUE Kings of Pop & Rock!!!!:)

Its strange then that your taste in music seems geared towards those "following" the style of a previous generation rather than those "leading" it in new directions which you roundly dismiss.

2011-02-10_140732_nail+on+head.jpg

Indeed, thre only TRUE music in the 80s was to be found in HR and HM.....NOT SURELY from R&B or soul or disco:):)!!!!!

In the 80s I was searching everywhere for new output of true 70s style classic rock (i.e. unsynthesized/un-MTV'ified) and there was little to none to be found. Scorpions, the Firm, ACDC and Def Leppard. Passed on the "Hair" bands. Liked the first G&R album but then couldn't stand Axl. Wasn't into Metallica at the time. The preexisting classic rock bands that made it through the 80s mostly had a different sound then; more synth (Heart, Van Halen). Can't remember about the Stones. I listened to U2, REM, The Cure, the Police, Violent Femmes, local college bands and reggae/jam band stuff. Some punk in the early 80s; Minor Threat, Black Flag etc.

There was some great R&B/Soul in the 80s. Luther Vandross, Freddie Jackson, Janet Jackson, Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston, Lionel Ritchie, Sade, Anita Baker, Chaka Khan off the top of my head. Some of those songs are even more of a part of my personal soundtrack than Zeppelin. The Commodores, Earth Wind & Fire, Rick James, the Gap Band etc too.

If you looked at the music genome stuff on pandora.com there would probably be an element or two in common between most all bands/artists.

The Stones, The Who, Led Zeppelin, The Doors, The Yardbirds, just to name a few from the top of my list, although they had influences, were leaders in their own right. I think it's strange that so many, on this sight, a rock 'n' roll site, would defend rap. Now, without me going back and checking, are those the same members who have some investment in who's gotten banned from the site? That stuff truly is for the sheepish. Rap is definitely for the followers. It's sort of like those sub-woofers in cars that you hear way down the road with the car rattling away.......what idiot would see someone else doing that and go; "I gotta get me one of those too"?

What’s next? Farting on vinyl cushions? It may seem like a ridiculous comparison now, but when the price of vinyl goes up because of speculators cashing in on it, you can say I told you so. Now, I wonder what stage names those artist will go by......

Why is it strange that fans of a band as musically progressive as Led Zeppelin, would defend other genres of music? I'll listen to any genre of music, I'm not a snob. I've got old-school rap, country, opera, classical, rock. punk, jazz, blues, trip-hop, electronica, chillout, pop, folk......I don't restrict myself to any one style or genre of music, because that to me is foolish. I'll listen to anything once, and if I like it, I'll listen to it again. If not, I move on. If I don't like one artist in the genre, I'll see if I like someone else in that genre. There's more than one flavor of ice cream, here.

Don't criticize other people though for having the ability to appreciate something that isn't what YOU listen to.

The Stones, The Who, Led Zeppelin, The Doors, The Yardbirds, just to name a few from the top of my list, although they had influences, were leaders in their own right. I think it's strange that so many, on this sight, a rock 'n' roll site, would defend rap. Now, without me going back and checking, are those the same members who have some investment in who's gotten banned from the site? That stuff truly is for the sheepish. Rap is definitely for the followers. It's sort of like those sub-woofers in cars that you hear way down the road with the car rattling away.......what idiot would see someone else doing that and go; "I gotta get me one of those too"?

What’s next? Farting on vinyl cushions? It may seem like a ridiculous comparison now, but when the price of vinyl goes up because of speculators cashing in on it, you can say I told you so. Now, I wonder what stage names those artist will go by......

No idea what your rambling about there, yes the big bands from the 60's and 70's were leaders in a new sound just as various hip hop acts have been leaders in a new sound. Your view that Hip Hop(and I'd guess genre such as house that grew out of disco) should be ignored and old pre established styles from the 60's and 70's continued seems to go directly agenst the idea of "leaders" rather hoping for a generation of "followers".

Theres obviously a great deal of poor quality music thats grown out of such genres as there always is but I don't know how anyone could dismiss material such as....

To say that jacko's music was R&B is HIGHLY reductive if not inaccurate:):):)!!! The Jackson 5 were R&B and soul, not MJ solo:)!!!

:rolleyes:

I lost interest in MJ solo after Thriller but plenty of other people liked his music. Whatever genre. Dance music. whatever. Does it really matter? geez. :rolleyes:

Thanx.....I dig RC as much as I do the others....but my faves remain Little Richard, Elvis and Chuck Berry....the ONLY TRUE Kings of Pop & Rock!!!!:)

Ah, what can I say? I think Chuck Berry, Elvis Presley, and Little Richard would agree on Joe Turner. Courtesy of Ahmet Ertegun........

and Mr. Turner...

and Mr. Presley.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCBT7PfAEgc&NR=1

rockhall.com

I think it's strange that so many, on this sight, a rock 'n' roll site, would defend rap.

Led Zeppelin were primarily known for playing rock n' roll but that doesn't necessarily make this a "rock n' roll" site. They incorporated several other genres of music into their own. Likewise, a lot of us that listen to them also listen to other kinds of music, which this portion of the board is a reflection of. As for defending rap, Page himself played with P. Diddy. Personally, I'm not a fan of rap but I've never been one of those that doesn't consider it a valid genre of music. I'm also not particularly big on punk rock but that doesn't mean I don't have an appreciation and respect for it. The same goes for all other genres of music that I may not really be into. In other words, just because this is a Led Zeppelin board it doesn't mean that talk is going to be limited to just rock n' roll when the band it's devoted to didn't limit themselves to just one form of music either.

:rolleyes:

I lost interest in MJ solo after Thriller but plenty of other people liked his music. Whatever genre. Dance music. whatever. Does it really matter? geez. :rolleyes:

I say that to FULLY and CORRECTLY love an artist's music, one should know where that artist comes from......I challenge you to find any post Jackson 5 MJ fan who even knows that MJ sang in the J5, let alone if they ever listened and appreciated their music.......GEEEEEEEEEEEEEZZZZ:):)

Ah, what can I say? I think Chuck Berry, Elvis Presley, and Little Richard would agree on Joe Turner. Courtesy of Ahmet Ertegun........

and Mr. Turner...

and Mr. Presley.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCBT7PfAEgc&NR=1

rockhall.com

Everyone knows (or should know) that Elvis himself sustained Roy Orbison to be his hero:):):)!!

Everyone knows (or should know) that Elvis himself sustained Roy Orbison to be his hero:):):)!!

Roy Orbison was born in 1936. He began doing local radio shows as a child in Texas in 1944. One of his earliest recordings was Jolie, which was released in 1959. Then in 1963, Mean Woman Blues was released.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrgSckM1b60

Archived