What Happened to Music?

Kathryn

Then of course, there was Big Bill Broonzy (26 June 1898 – 15 August 1958). But Broonzy's song was about a different Joe Turner.

I remember one song though that my father played often. It was called “Joe Turner’s Blues.” I didn’t learn until about 20 years ago, what that song was really about.

In the late 19th century, a man named Joe Turney became well-known in the South. He was the brother of Pete Turney who was the governor of Tennessee. Joe Turney had the responsibility of taking black prisoners from Memphis to the Tennessee State Penitentiary in Nashville. It is said that Joe would make a habit of distributing some of the prisoners to convict farms along the Mississippi River, where employers paid commissions to obtain laborers.

According to Leon F. Litwack in his terrific book Trouble in Mind: Black Southerners in the Age of Jim Crow:

“Most of the prisoners had been rounded up for minor infractions, often when police raided a craps game set up by an informer; after a perfunctory court appearance, the blacks were removed, usually the same day, and turned over to Turney. He was reputed to have handcuffed eighty prisoners to forty links of chain. When a man turned up missing that night in the community, the word quickly spread, ‘They tell me Joe Turner’s come and gone.” Family members were left to mourn the missing (p.270).”

usprisonculture.com

:rolleyes:

I lost interest in MJ solo after Thriller but plenty of other people liked his music. Whatever genre. Dance music. whatever. Does it really matter? geez. :rolleyes:

Calling Jacko RnB seems to be somewhat of a retroactive move aswell as pop music that followed in his footsteps in the 90's took up that label.

I agree his first two solo albums were clearly his best work but the next two were still pretty listenable, its after that I think you see a large dropoff in quality.

Calling Jacko RnB seems to be somewhat of a retroactive move aswell as pop music that followed in his footsteps in the 90's took up that label.

I agree his first two solo albums were clearly his best work but the next two were still pretty listenable, its after that I think you see a large dropoff in quality.

MJ was not the only dropout in music B) B) B) B)

I say that to FULLY and CORRECTLY love an artist's music, one should know where that artist comes from......I challenge you to find any post Jackson 5 MJ fan who even knows that MJ sang in the J5, let alone if they ever listened and appreciated their music.......GEEEEEEEEEEEEEZZZZ:):)

I probably shouldn't have used him as an example. I had a collection of J5 albums and enjoyed Thriller; not so much Bad and what followed, though. There was so much controversy with him that I lost interest (although I was sorry when he passed away). He was very innovative though; I'll never forget watching that Motown 25th anniversary special when he first moonwalked. I guess in a way he kind of brought Motown to the modern age and transitioned it to pop with that performance.

I probably shouldn't have used him as an example. I had a collection of J5 albums and enjoyed Thriller; not so much Bad and what followed, though. There was so much controversy with him that I lost interest (although I was sorry when he passed away). He was very innovative though; I'll never forget watching that Motown 25th anniversary special when he first moonwalked. I guess in a way he kind of brought Motown to the modern age and transitioned it to pop with that performance.

I liked Thriller and Bad, but very little in between those 2 albums:). Of course I was sorry MJ passed away even bacause I used to watch all the Jackson 5 shows on TV (MJ was born in '58 like me!!!!:):)) and I admired him and respected that little boy who could REALLY sing......NOTHING to do with the surrogate MJ of the subsequent years......legend has it that he entered a secret sect in the late 70s and came out a very DIFF person....and this sure showed in his music!!

Many people do not know that the steps to the Moonwalk were TAUGHT to MJ by an old coloured dancer he had met earlier in his life:):):)....MJ NEVER invented anything really:):)!!!

I liked Thriller and Bad, but very little in between those 2 albums:).

You like Thriller and Bad but rail against Disco and Dance music? This does not compute. As for the Jackson Five, I like them but their music was mostly bubblegum. Still, I'd take it anyday over the complete output of solo Michael Jackson. Back in the day it was the Partridge Family, the Osmonds, Bobby Sherman, the Monkees and the like. Out of those, I definitely preferred the Jackson Five.

Many people do not know that the steps to the Moonwalk were TAUGHT to MJ by an old coloured dancer he had met earlier in his life

I would appreciate not seeing that adjective used again. thank you.

I would appreciate not seeing that adjective used again. thank you.

Oooops, sorry...I guess it's reading too many of the racist posts in this forum that made me do it. I am usually the one that always criticizes MJ himself for having changed the colour of his skin (skin disrease my ass....couldn't he have found a better excuse??!)

What the hell did you just say? Did we just magically transport ourselves back to the 1950s? Do I need to go put my poodle skirt and saddle shoes back on? Is there a sock-hop later we're all going to? Maybe to Lover's Lane to listen to some Frankie Laine albums?

Evolve your language. We're in the 21st century now.

What the hell did you just say? Did we just magically transport ourselves back to the 1950s? Do I need to go put my poodle skirt and saddle shoes back on? Is there a sock-hop later we're all going to? Maybe to Lover's Lane to listen to some Frankie Laine albums?

Evolve your language. We're in the 21st century now.

You might just need to EVOLVE your head, hehehehhehehehhe :):)

Why is it strange that fans of a band as musically progressive as Led Zeppelin, would defend other genres of music? I'll listen to any genre of music, I'm not a snob. I've got old-school rap, country, opera, classical, rock. punk, jazz, blues, trip-hop, electronica, chillout, pop, folk......I don't restrict myself to any one style or genre of music, because that to me is foolish. I'll listen to anything once, and if I like it, I'll listen to it again. If not, I move on. If I don't like one artist in the genre, I'll see if I like someone else in that genre. There's more than one flavor of ice cream, here.Don't criticize other people though for having the ability to appreciate something that isn't what YOU listen to.

Led Zeppelin were primarily known for playing rock n' roll but that doesn't necessarily make this a "rock n' roll" site. They incorporated several other genres of music into their own. Likewise, a lot of us that listen to them also listen to other kinds of music, which this portion of the board is a reflection of. As for defending rap, Page himself played with P. Diddy. Personally, I'm not a fan of rap but I've never been one of those that doesn't consider it a valid genre of music. I'm also not particularly big on punk rock but that doesn't mean I don't have an appreciation and respect for it. The same goes for all other genres of music that I may not really be into. In other words, just because this is a Led Zeppelin board it doesn't mean that talk is going to be limited to just rock n' roll when the band it's devoted to didn't limit themselves to just one form of music either.

There's been a lot of talk about 70's, 80's, Disco, etc. .....all the usual stuff that gets the heat when a subject like this is discussed. Did anyone else bring up rap? Rap has been bad for music.....many types of music. The funny but sad truth seems to be that some self proclaimed knowledgeable music listeners do not even realize how it's influence has made it's way into these other types of music...they seem to be more interested in keeping up with the status quo of the conversation which also usually involves defending rap.

As for Jimmy Page and P. Diddy(now there's a name begging for sarcasm) I prefer Keith Richards take on it as he once said; "I wish the rappers would shoot each other.....and they're doing a good job of it" or something to the effect. Now there's a guy who could get his ass kicked off a message board.

As for the Jackson Five, I like them but their music was mostly bubblegum.

"Bubblegum"....now there's a bonafide scapegoat. In 1971 so called bubblegum was still going and The Rolling Stones cash in on it with "Brown Sugar" from their Sticky Fingers album. "Brown Sugar" and "Sticky Fingers" were perfect bubblegum titles.

Brown Sugar wasn't titled as such to capitalize on any "bubblegum" pop phase that was going on at the time. Same with Sticky Fingers. You do know what "brown sugar" is a euphemism for, right? Or at least in the way the Rolling Stones used it.

There's been a lot of talk about 70's, 80's, Disco, etc. .....all the usual stuff that gets the heat when a subject like this is discussed. Did anyone else bring up rap? Rap has been bad for music.....many types of music. The funny but sad truth seems to be that some self proclaimed knowledgeable music listeners do not even realize how it's influence has made it's way into these other types of music...they seem to be more interested in keeping up with the status quo of the conversation which also usually involves defending rap.

I defend rap only because it's a valid genre of music. Yes, it's influenced other forms of music and vice versa, it's what happens with all kinds of music not just rap. Sometimes it results in absolute crap such as Limp Bizkit but in other instances you get some really creative stuff such as Portishead or Rage Against the Machine.

"Bubblegum"....now there's a bonafide scapegoat. In 1971 so called bubblegum was still going and The Rolling Stones cash in on it with "Brown Sugar" from their Sticky Fingers album. "Brown Sugar" and "Sticky Fingers" were perfect bubblegum titles.

You've got to be kidding. That's some of the weirdest logic I ever read.

Again I'm not sure what your on about there, I and I guess the other people in this conversation are well aware of the wide impact of hip hop, its just that we believe that impact has created alot of good music. Whats your opinion on this track for example?

Archived