What Happened to Music?

Kathryn

Hell, I'm willing to give spidersandsnakes a pass on his disco misinformation (but NOT his use of the phrase "old coloured guy"), but to lump "Brown Sugar" and the Stones with "bubblegum" is sheer lunacy.

I think someone else did the lumping. It's not my fault that you also don't comprehend what you read.

I was just trying to imagine what "Brown Sugar" would sound like if the Ohio Express did it. Their vocals may have sounded much like the vocals on that version the Stones did at Keith's birthday party with Eric Clapton on slide guitar.

Maybe there's a bubblegum phobia here much like some people have a hang up about guys wearing pink.

As for your beef with someone's use of the phrase "old coloured guy", maybe if you raise a big enough fuss you can urge Gloria "All-wet" Allred to sue. Now I'm lumping, I'm lumping the the political correctness I often see here with those poster girls for tight in the sphincterness such as Gloria and Tipper Gore.

And getting back to the subject of what happened to music......we have covered what was wrong with it in the past.....and the past is the past. Rap is what's wrong with it now.

You forgot to mention Black Sabbath, Groundhogs and Beefheart, I blame Pete Waterman for all this non talent thats about, A band used to be a band with guitars and things! now all you need is a stupid girlie hair cut and a couple of gay looking mates who wear them idiot looking pants!, its a joke all this crap im sick of it being rammed down my throat on every advert on the bleeding tele, Im off to a desert island somewhere to get away from all this sickness, Oh and yes im taking my records with me along with my B&W`s and Denon amp.....Save the Vinyl ;)

This tells me you know squat about what music is about. Nothing is "rammed down your throat" involuntarily. You have a remote control, right? Use it. There's a dial on your radio, right? Use it.

nd getting back to the subject of what happened to music......we have covered what was wrong with it in the past.....and the past is the past. Rap is what's wrong with it now.

Why Rap is what's wrong with music now, Exhibit A:

Why Rap is what's wrong with music now, Exhibit A:

:blink::o:blink::o

Good lord...is that guy for real? I thought maybe it was a comic doing a spoof. I could only listen to a couple minutes before I had to shut it off.

Grabbed this from another message board:

Rockism - the dogma

WIP

§ 1 Music has to be authentic.

§ 2 The composer, writer and singer or guitar player must be the same person.

Exceptions can be made for new versions of songs allready released in accordance with rockist dogma.

§ 3 Music released in the album format is superior to music released in other formats.

§ 4 Instrumentation has to be acoustic and/ or electric guitars, acoustic drums, electric bass and a maximum of two other elements.

The music should be fairly difficult to play live on said instruments.

§ 5 The production of the sixties and seventies are the state of Paradise, and any innovation after that is a result of the Devils work, trying to corrupt the perfect creation.

§ 6 Music should have a specific degree of complexity and atonality. Too little, and it's unworthy, commersial bubble gum. Too much, and it's not really music, just noise.

§ 7 Music should not be made for the purpose of dancing.

I think we've gone through pretty much all of these points during the course of this thread and each and every one of them don't really make any sense. The term "rockist" in itself is a bit stupid though.

Nothing happened to music. It's just your opinion on them. Some of the new stuff is fine. I don't listen to them all that much but it's not bad. It's actually decent. I'm all about all types of Rock n Roll, old and new. I listen to Led Zeppelin, the Rolling Stones while I also listen to Nickelback, and Red Hot Chili Peppers. I think people have a problem with the lyrics for rap music. As for Pop, a good fraction of us probably listen to that. Even the new stuff, assumed to be "crappy" by some people.

I can agree with the above two posts completely.

§ 7 Music should not be made for the purpose of dancing

Music and dancing has gone hand in hand ever since the cavemen:):)!!!......that's not the point, it's when some kooks here and in the music world in general say such stupid things like "you can't dance to anything that is not club music or disco...", as if the kids in the 50s, 60s and 70s were all crazy because they danced to shake, boogie, r'n'r, funky, etc. which was NOT disco as in the term of the late 70s and into the 80s:)! I find myself "shaking my foot" at Zep's sound more than I do to STERILE disco crap:):)!!!

Rock n' roll came from the hood you racist piece of shit.

How the fuck is that racist? I bet you never been in the hood you politically correct asshole, brainwashed by the media, you are all up for gay marriage to i bet. No one has any balls now, you just trying to score points for being a pc jerk.

How the fuck is that racist? I bet you never been in the hood you politically correct asshole, brainwashed by the media, you are all up for gay marriage to i bet. No one has any balls now, you just trying to score points for being a pc jerk.

Sounds like someone missed their 6 o'clock feeding.

Good lord...gay marriage, media brainwashing, political correctness...all the usual bromides; and in a music forum, no less.

Grow up or you're heading for one of these: :buttsmack:

Hello again.

Has the homophobia kicked in yet?

Give it time.

Yup, right on cue.

Archived