What Happened to Music?

Kathryn

Thanks, partly to rap and hip hop, music has succumbed to the lowest common denominator .

Agreed. The same way radio went to shit when they allowed rock n' roll on the airwaves. It's been nothing but downhill sense. I'm blaming Robert Plant.

The 70s wasn't some kind of golden age where everything coming out was good.

Yes and no. Of course, not everything released was good - far from it. But there certainly seemed to be much higher quality standard for songwriting and musicianship, i.e. there were more good to great records than you could shake a stick at. On another music discussion board I visit, someone was arguing that 1971 was the best year for music. I wouldn't go that far to nail it down to one year, but when you think of all the epic recordings released in just that one year, there simply is no comparison with today. You'd be challenged to come up with this much audio goodness in a decade, for example.

1971:

Tapestry - Carol King

Sticky Fingers -The Rolling Stones

Who's Next - The Who

Led Zeppelin IV - Led Zeppelin

L.A. Woman - The Doors

Aqualung - Jethro Tull

Every Picture Tells A Story - Rod Stewart

Meddle - Pink Floyd

Blue - Joni Mitchell

Pearl - Janis Joplin

Marvin Gaye's What's Going On

Bill Withers

Sly & the Family Stone - There's a Riot Going on

Stevie Wonder - Talking Book

Aretha Franklin- Young, Gifted and Black

Al Green - Let's Stay Together

Donny Hathaway - The Ghetto

There's a Riot Goin' On - Sly & the Family Stone

Nilsson Schmilsson - Harry Nilsson

The Inner Mounting Flame - Mahavishnu Orchestra

Surf's Up - The Beach Boys

A Space in Time - Ten Years After

Message from a Drum - Redbone

Hunky Dory - David Bowie

Love it to Death - Alice Cooper

Electric Warrior - T.Rex

Songs of Love and Hate - Leonard Cohen

Ram - Paul McCartney

What's Going On - Marvin Gaye

Maggot Brain - Funkadelic

Muswell Hillbillies by the Kinks

A Nod Is As Good As a Wink by Faces

Rock On by Humble Pie

Machine Head - Deep Purple

Your mileage may vary.

On another music discussion board I visit, someone was arguing that 1971 was the best year for music. I wouldn't go that far to nail it down to one year, but when you think of all the epic recordings released in just that one year, there simply is no comparison with today.

The big difference being, today's artists haven't been around for 40 years so that's not really a fair argument since all of those artists have time on their side. The other difference being how much things have changed in the industry itself. While there are a few AOR (Album Oriented Rock) stations left, it's nothing like it's heyday in the 70s so there's really nothing now to judge it against. There's just as much good music out there these days but it's more splintered. You have commercial radio which still has a few progressive stations, there's satellite radio, internet radio and mp3 players where you can compile your own playlists. Who will be still be remembered 40 years from now? It's very hard to say because things have changed so much but even with that change I have no trouble whatsoever finding more music than I can possibly listen to in 2011 but Lord knows, I try.

On another music discussion board I visit, someone was arguing that 1971 was the best year for music.

Sounds like rateyourmusic.com me. I think there was a thread on this a while back :). My view on that was that it seems to change every year. I enjoyed 2010 very much for an example and 2011 has been pretty good so far.

If we compare the 70s and the 80s, let's say that 15% that was created in the 70s was bad and 96% of the 80s music was bad:):)

Maybe if all you did was watch MTV. Even then they had shows like 120 Minutes, I.R.S.'s The Cutting Edge and Post Modern MTV that featured lots of artists that weren't exactly mainstream. Outside of that there was reggae, ska, the blues revival (led unwittingly by the likes of Stevie Ray Vaughan), roots artists such as Los Lobos and the crossover of college radio acts (such as R.E.M., XTC, U2, the Smiths, the Cure, the Replacements, etc.) to album radio. Add to that, the Paisley Underground movement with everyone from Robyn Hitchcock to the Bangles leading the pack. You also had the first rumblings of alt.county (then known as "cowpunk") that included the Long Ryders, Jason & the Scorchers, Lone Justice and tons of others. To my ears, the 80s was one of the most diverse and vibrant decades for music since the 60s, if not even more so. It wasn't all Huey Lewis, the Human League, Billy Ocean and drum machines.

Maybe if all you did was watch MTV. Even then they had shows like 120 Minutes, I.R.S.'s The Cutting Edge and Post Modern MTV that featured lots of artists that weren't exactly mainstream. Outside of that there was reggae, ska, the blues revival (led unwittingly by the likes of Stevie Ray Vaughan), roots artists such as Los Lobos and the crossover of college radio acts (such as R.E.M., XTC, U2, the Smiths, the Cure, the Replacements, etc.) to album radio. Add to that, the Paisley Underground movement with everyone from Robyn Hitchcock to the Bangles leading the pack. You also had the first rumblings of alt.county (then known as "cowpunk") that included the Long Ryders, Jason & the Scorchers, Lone Justice and tons of others. To my ears, the 80s was one of the most diverse and vibrant decades for music since the 60s, if not even more so. It wasn't all Huey Lewis, the Human League, Billy Ocean and drum machines.

No I'm not talking about MTV or the sort.........it was the overall 80s musical feel that was ROTTING away.....the whole damn music was sterile and lame :)

Really. So what exactly were you listening to in the 80s?

All the Paisley Underground bands from Yard TRauma to Eric Stumpo's Plan9 and from The early Bangles to the Pandoras.....thanx to Greg Shaw and Midnight Records.......then it was the less sterile "new wave" scene: Blondie, Knack the Shirts, Television......then Iron Maiden, Saxon, JP, etc. .....does THAT answer your query???...ehm???!

If we compare the 70s and the 80s, let's say that 15% that was created in the 70s was bad and 96% of the 80s music was bad:):)

The 80's is a classic case of what I was saying, the maistream was almost entirely focused on pop music and/or the decling careers of 70's rock gods but below the surface there was a hell of alot of good music...

The Stone Roses

Spacemen 3

Talk Talk(well the latter stuff)

New Order

Happy Mondays

The Smiths

etc

Arguebley the golden age of alternative rock with little interference from the big record companies.

All the Paisley Underground bands from Yard TRauma to Eric Stumpo's Plan9 and from The early Bangles to the Pandoras.....thanx to Greg Shaw and Midnight Records.......then it was the less sterile "new wave" scene: Blondie, Knack the Shirts, Television......then Iron Maiden, Saxon, JP, etc. .....does THAT answer your query???...ehm???!

To a degree. So, if you were able to discover those artists what was keeping you from getting into many of the ones I mentioned? You seem so dead set against music from the 80s yet you were apparently aware of artists beyond what the mainstream had to offer. I just don't understand the outright hatred you have for that decade of music.

The internet happened. Music is now influenced as much by the internet as it is by anything else, if not more so. And apparently these little computer geeks, who are reading all they can about classic rock and which are the classic albums to buy, are not listening to those albums or at least not enough to be influenced buy them, even though they will spend hours on a form defending anyone of those albums that someone, who they usually call a troll, would dare to criticize.

To a degree. So, if you were able to discover those artists what was keeping you from getting into many of the ones I mentioned? You seem so dead set against music from the 80s yet you were apparently aware of artists beyond what the mainstream had to offer. I just don't understand the outright hatred you have for that decade of music.

The "hatred" derives from the media and radio that at the time didn't care about the TRUE rock of the 80s (ref the bands I quoted above:)) and actually declared rock as we know it to be dead......I didn't start the fire:):):):)!!!!!

The "hatred" derives from the media and radio that at the time didn't care about the TRUE rock of the 80s (ref the bands I quoted above:)) and actually declared rock as we know it to be dead......I didn't start the fire:):):):)!!!!!

Actually you did start the fire...with your incessant yelling(do you always have to post in bold all caps?) about how the 80's were crap. Not only on this thread but on another one in the ramble on section you go on and on about the 80's being crappy, wimpy, all about disco Saturday Night Fever and Studio 54, etc. etc.

So not only are you repetitive...but you're incorrect.

Saturday Night Fever came out in late 1977 and it definitely was a hit and pushed disco in the mainstream consciousness. 1978-1979 was disco's high point with the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack and albums by Chic and Donna Summer.

But by 1980 the writing was on the wall...disco was on the wane. Of course there was the July 12, 1979 Disco Demolition Night at Chicago Whitesox Stadium.

But the two things that helped drive a nail in disco's coffin in 1980 was the twin failures of the movies "Xanadu" and "Can't Stop the Music".

And by the end of the year everyone had forgotten about Saturday Night Fever as "Urban Cowboy" was Travolta's newest hit and the craze swept the nation as bars from San Francisco to Washington DC installed mechanical bulls.

So you see, as the 80's began disco had ceased to be a force, so for you to continuously paint the 80's as a decade of disco is misguided.

Actually what is really amusing about these various "music isn't as good as it used to be" is that people say this every decade.

The 70's are looked upon as a golden age now but I can assure you that as early as 1973 Rolling Stone and other mags were running articles about how stagnant and boring the rock scene was and that the 70's were dead compared to the exciting 60's.

And I guarantee you that in 10 years time people will be moaning about how the 2020's suck and why aren't there any bands as good as the ones in the 2000's, like Radiohead and the White Stripes.

Of course the scary thing is that someone will actually be nostalgic for the insipid likes of Train and Maroon 5.

Blondie's Rapture, released in January 1981, was an enjoyable enough fusion of surreal pop, funk, jazz and rap music, with intriguing visuals attached in the video.

And then came the 90s with the release of the film, A Night at the Roxbury, featuring Haddaway's "What Is Love", which put a different twist on disco. Saturday Night Live also carried this theme, and disco music is part of what made the comedy work. I view disco as just another form of music. In all aspects of music you find either the good, the bad or the mediocre. In disco you encounter much that is either bad or mediocre, but occasionally you discover something good. The main problem with disco is that it is bland, soul-less, rhythm-less, mechanized and machine-like, with a boring, predictable 1-2-3-4 timing that beats monotonously. For disco to work, it must mix with other art forms that balance its weaknesses, like comedy, drama, dance, visual art, or other musical forms. Disco is an odd paintbrush swiped on a musical canvas that tends to make movement awkward and stinted. You use it sparingly and only when it belongs with your project. Disco's main strength is it's uptempo drive, but that can get old very quickly. It's easy to understand why some people harbor a strong passion against disco. Disco is almost anti-human.

Video killed the radio star!

As soon as music was something to look at instead of listen to, musical quality really started going down hill. Blame MTV!

If that's the case, blame those who watched MTV. No matter how much crap the media tries to shove down our throats, it only catches on if we swallow.

Actually you did start the fire...with your incessant yelling(do you always have to post in bold all caps?) about how the 80's were crap. Not only on this thread but on another one in the ramble on section you go on and on about the 80's being crappy, wimpy, all about disco Saturday Night Fever and Studio 54, etc. etc.

So not only are you repetitive...but you're incorrect.

Saturday Night Fever came out in late 1977 and it definitely was a hit and pushed disco in the mainstream consciousness. 1978-1979 was disco's high point with the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack and albums by Chic and Donna Summer.

But by 1980 the writing was on the wall...disco was on the wane. Of course there was the July 12, 1979 Disco Demolition Night at Chicago Whitesox Stadium.

But the two things that helped drive a nail in disco's coffin in 1980 was the twin failures of the movies "Xanadu" and "Can't Stop the Music".

And by the end of the year everyone had forgotten about Saturday Night Fever as "Urban Cowboy" was Travolta's newest hit and the craze swept the nation as bars from San Francisco to Washington DC installed mechanical bulls.

So you see, as the 80's began disco had ceased to be a force, so for you to continuously paint the 80's as a decade of disco is misguided.

Actually what is really amusing about these various "music isn't as good as it used to be" is that people say this every decade.

The 70's are looked upon as a golden age now but I can assure you that as early as 1973 Rolling Stone and other mags were running articles about how stagnant and boring the rock scene was and that the 70's were dead compared to the exciting 60's.

And I guarantee you that in 10 years time people will be moaning about how the 2020's suck and why aren't there any bands as good as the ones in the 2000's, like Radiohead and the White Stripes.

Of course the scary thing is that someone will actually be nostalgic for the insipid likes of Train and Maroon 5.

I don't know what the hell you're on about......me saying things in other topics, yelling....what drugs are YOU on????! Indeed, many posters here don't know the dif between SOUND debating and mere posting and being YESmen...which I AM NOT!!!:):):). YOU should go back to rock school and review when the WIMPY SPINELESS music of the 80s (over 90 % of it!!) all started...and many FOOLISH end-of-the-70s disco goers thought THAT was the music of the future........disco crap, late 70s crap and all wimpy music MY ASS:):):):)

If that's the case, blame those who watched MTV. No matter how much crap the media tries to shove down our throats, it only catches on if we swallow.

HOORAY....good sound posting here....UNLike many other "invasive" posters up here!!!!! I NEVER SWALLOWED THE DISCO CRAP offered by MTV or any other media for that matter......but many posts up here make me think TOO MANY did!!!!!:):):)

What I don't understand is why you're constantly calling all the music from the 1980s "disco" when "disco" as a genre didn't exist in the 1980s. MTV never played disco music, because disco was gone before MTV was launched in 1981.

Criticize the decade's music all you want, but at least get the names of the genres right, otherwise you look like you're ranting just for ranting's sake.

Archived