What Happened to Music?

Kathryn

Yes, they did play Rock 'n' Roll and Boogie With Stu occasionally, although not many danced to them.

Go figure!

Right on.....one of the most intelligent posts in this thread so far:):)!!! Thanx for bringing this up. What makes a song danceable and what doesn't?! The truth is that all the disco goers had it in for rock music because they had branded it as "dangerous revolutionary sound not adaptable for the "new" times of neo conservatism that was to come....yuppism, etc.", so they dismissed rock and intentionally didn't dance to it (while history shows us that the kids had been dancing to rock for over 20 years before!!!!:):)). That's why I say "disco music" is plastic sound for plastic-minded people:)!!! So, WHO started the fire??!:):)

Who ever went to discos to listen to the music anyway?

We blokes went purely and simply for the chicks because if you danced vertical with them, there was a very big chance of doing the horizontal boogie later on with PG providing mood music!

It constantly amazed me when people would say "how can you get up and dance to that shit?", when they would be sitting and drinking with their mates at the end of the night then leaving by themselves while we'd be kicking on elsewhere and partying.

The "Golden Age" of rock music was IMO, from the mid '60's to mid '70's and started in London with all the production techniques still used, listened to and mimicked today.

Music, especially recorded, has evolved from the old 78rpm's to the current digital formats and there is a lot of good and bad amongst it all.

Funny how the CD was supposed to be the unrivalled format to replace vinyl when they (vinyl), are regaining more popularity nowadays and to a certain degree restored to their former glory.

Vinyl LP's and other records were the best by product the oil industry ever produced.

Where will it go from here is anyone's guess but I doubt it will get any better.

Hahahhahahahahahahahahahhahahahha, this is highly laughable.....no offence by the way.....don't go all ballistic over this,,,,,,hahahahahahhahahahaha....going to discos to catch the chix....another false ideal........hahahaha, I got all MY chix at hard rock gigs and concerts and THOSE rock chix were FAR SEXIER than any YMCA-oriented disco crap chick:):),,,,,hahahhahahahhahaha:):)!!!!

It's important to consider when attempting to communicate with this person that they think "Disco music was conceived when Disco Duck hit the scenes in '76". The more he attempts to speak on the subject, the more painfully obvious it becomes that he has absolutely no knowledge of the subject he's speaking about.

Someone had better go back to school......School of Rock might do, hehehehheheheh:):):)

One big difference between the 60's and following decades is that the bands of that era were not in competision with those of a previous era since it marked the transition from Jazz to Rock as the "arty" popoular music of choice.

Never has that been a bigger factor than in the 80's if you ask me, it wasnt just quality music being held down by corperate pop/disco but also by the likes of Genisis, Floyd, The Stones and Queen. I spose the latter was still producing some decent material but by by en large we had a ton of "megastars" taking alot of the spotlight while clearly living off of past glories.

Yes, they did play Rock 'n' Roll and Boogie With Stu occasionally, although not many danced to them.

Go figure!

Jahfin. After the disco :blink: , what part of "later on" didn't you get? :rolleyes:

BTW, Discotheques have been around since the 1940's when they were underground live music and dance clubs.

Reggie - I think Jahfin was supporting you there.

Someone had better go back to school......School of Rock might do, hehehehheheheh:):):)

To the contrary. You keep insisting on pushing information about the formation of disco that's entirely incorrect.

Reggie - I think Jahfin was supporting you there.

You're right, I was.

In my area (eastern North Carolina) one of the local clubs turned into a disco called The Upper Left in the late 70s, this was directly influenced by the popularity of disco and the movie Saturday Night Fever. By the time the 80s rolled around disco had fallen out of favor just enough for the club to change hands and become known as "Roadies" (inspired by the movie of the same name) which hosted live bands (everyone from Cheap Trick to Emmylou Harris and lots of bands in between) through a good portion of the 80s until dance music and DJ's took hold. That particular area (Goldsboro) never recovered from this because it was less expensive to pay a DJ than it was to pay a band. The change in the drinking age (it was raised to 21 instead of 18) also dealt a heavy blow to club going in general.

From my own personal experience, disco never "replaced" anything for me. I wasn't old enough to go to the clubs until the late 70s so by that time disco was starting to die out. Even though going to a disco might increase your chance of meeting women, I couldn't stand disco so I never went to those type of clubs. That changed when dance music took over in the 80s though because Goldsboro no longer had any rock clubs. Thankfully, Greenville wasn't far away which had The Attic and other clubs that still booked live rock n' roll bands. To this day, I will always seek out bars that have live music. That's the main reason I relocated to Raleigh a few years ago. The Triangle area of NC (Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill) has always had a very vibrante music scene (live and otherwise) so I'm more at home here than almost any place that I have ever lived. I can deal with dance clubs if the situation calls for it but I'm always itching to get the hell out of there so I can go somewhere where there's a live band playing. As has been mentioned, you can dance to rock n' roll too. I'm also much more comfortable socially in a live music club than in the meat market type atmosphere of singles clubs. To me, it's not about getting laid, it's about being surrounded by like minded friends that are also into live music. At those types of clubs, the emphasis is on people being there to enjoy the band playing and not about the "pick up" scene which has a sleazy aspect to it that I simply don't enjoy.

I absolutely loved (and still love) some of what was labelled "disco" - and the way it is being rubbished in this thread is just lame.

Nile Rodgers was pretty much the King of disco for a while - in playing and production. Ask Page and Plant what they think of him.

I absolutely loved (and still love) some of what was labelled "disco" - and the way it is being rubbished in this thread is just lame.

Nile Rodgers was pretty much the King of disco for a while - in playing and production. Ask Page and Plant what they think of him.

I never have cared for it but there's also other kinds of music such as punk rock and rap that I also don't particularly care for, that doesn't mean I don't appreciate or respect them though. Disco helped inform rock n' roll and vice versa, same for rap, hip-hop, classical, etc. They're all a part of the musical melting pot known as rock n' roll.

I think most people just need to dance. Dance is a form of expression and blowing off steam. Music for dancing is entirely different from music for thinking, relaxing, whatever. Dance music serves its own purpose.

Whether it be Disco Duck, the Bee Gees, Salt n Pepa, The Cure, Wham!, the Black Eyed Peas, Lady Gaga. Whatever gets you up on the dance floor, more power to you.

You can't boogie down to Ozzy Osborne or even CS&N though. :blink: Maaaayybe Enter Sandman, if bouncing up and down counts. And seriously, how many Zeppelin songs are truly danceable?

Dance to (and listen to) whatever makes you happy and don't worry about what anybody else thinks or says.

You can dance to In The Evening if you wanted to. It has a great rhythm to it.

True. :) I just think people should just listen to what they want and not worry about what others think though. There's nothing wrong with liking Zeppelin and Soulja Boy, or whatever. :) There are no Music Taste Police coming to take you away ;)

Rock n' roll is highly danceable. If you don't think so, you never witnessed a Grateful Dead show. I use them as an example but they're only the tip of the iceberg (I've also seen people dance to CSN and CSN & Y). I have a friend that DJ's locally that plays rock n' roll that is meant to incite people to dance and it works. A lot of what he plays is of the garage rock variety so people show up in the garb of the day, including Day-Glo colors and go-go boots. It's really quite the sight to behold and is very fun too.

It's lame NOT rubbishing such CRAPPY music like "disco music" was and still IS!!!! LUCKILY that utter CRAP like YMCA garbage is not around anymore:):):)

Rock n' roll is highly danceable. If you don't think so, you never witnessed a Grateful Dead show. I use them as an example but they're only the tip of the iceberg (I've also seen people dance to CSN and CSN & Y). I have a friend that DJ's locally that plays rock n' roll that is meant to incite people to dance and it works. A lot of what he plays is of the garage rock variety so people show up in the garb of the day, including Day-Glo colors and go-go boots. It's really quite the sight to behold and is very fun too.

True, I was more thinking of heavy metal and didn't think about the Grateful Dead, Phish etc. But I was mainly trying to express that people should just do their thing and not worry about other peoples' opinions. :hippy::beer:

Of course r'n'r is highly danceable.....LOTS MORE THAN that crappy "music" called "disco":)::)!!!!! But you had to have the sheer GUTS to dance to it in the GARBAGE disco years otherswise you would've been branded as "out of the crowd...MY ASS:):)|!!!

True, I was more thinking of heavy metal and didn't think about the Grateful Dead, Phish etc. But I was mainly trying to express that people should just do their thing and not worry about other peoples' opinions. :hippy::beer:

EYE never worried about others peoples' opinions when I used to dance to ROCK rather than SHITTY disco in the dark ages of music.......DISCO MUSIC MY ASS :):):

I never have cared for it but there's also other kinds of music such as punk rock and rap that I also don't particularly care for, that doesn't mean I don't appreciate or respect them though. Disco helped inform rock n' roll and vice versa, same for rap, hip-hop, classical, etc. They're all a part of the musical melting pot known as rock n' roll.

Agreed - and I hope you know my post wasn't directed at you.

I think most people just need to dance. Dance is a form of expression and blowing off steam. Music for dancing is entirely different from music for thinking, relaxing, whatever. Dance music serves its own purpose.

I have to agree with you Virginia. To each his own. I love the music of Led Zep for listening and other things, but not dancing.

Back in the day (and even now really) I'd much rather move and groove to a band playing "dance" music like this.... :) missy.

S.O.S. Band.... Just Be Good To Me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkRt0NeR8Ws

And for the romantic dances? It didn't get much better than El DeBarge. (imo)

Archived