What Happened to Music?

Kathryn

So now Michael Jackson and Prince are to blame and it's supposedly because of their "minimalism" and "the dirty modern sound" (I'm not even sure what's meant by that)?. I'm not a fan of either artist but I'm not even know where to begin but I'll try. How about actually making an effort to seek out the music you like and don't concentrate so much on what you don't like? You'd be absolutely amazed at the results.

Oh Jacko and company.....LESS Prince, whom I admire esp from Purple Rain aND his collab with WEndy & Lisa1!!!... DID contrbute to the GLOBAL DETERIORATION of music as we know it!!! As you can see, NOT EVR^ERYONE thinx like YOU lot on the matter of music quality :):)!!!!

If there's one thing I totally love, it's the dirty modern sound. Minimalism, too, rather than some of those bloated extravaganzas of the 70s. (As opposed to the good stuff of the 70s.)

I presume you mean the pompous extravaganza perpetrated by crappy bands like Caravan, Foreigner, Chicago, Journey and the like :):):)!!!!!

Oh Jacko and company.....LESS Prince, whom I admire esp from Purple Rain aND his collab with WEndy & Lisa1!!!... DID contrbute to the GLOBAL DETERIORATION of music as we know it!!!

So, someone was forcing you, at gunpoint to listen to Michael Jackson and Prince? I remember when they were everywhere (radio, magazine covers, TV, etc.) as were Madonna and Bruce Springsteen but I wasn't being forced to listen to any of them. Then, as now, I have the option of listening to lots of other music which is an option I exercised in those days. Everywhere you turn lately it's Justin Bieber and that "Friday" video. I still haven't watched or listened to either one. They've no more contributed to the "deterioration" of music than either Michael Jackson or Prince. It's all about what you choose to listen to. I have a lot of friends that love Prince but I've never been into his music. That doesn't mean I believe he's contributed to the deterioration of anything. Instead of trying to place blame on those outside of the rock genre, why not try to find something within it that you like? Despite the proliferation of Prince, Madonna, etc. back in the 80s I had no problem finding lots and lots of music that I liked.

As you can see, NOT EVR^ERYONE thinx like YOU lot on the matter of music quality :):)!!!!

Which just goes to show how much you misunderstand my opinion on the matter. I have no desire for people to think like me, the advice I'm trying to impart is for people to think for themselves. People seem to think that what the mainstream has to offer is all there is when nothing could be farther from the truth. If you insist upon the glass being half empty instead of half full that is all you will ever see.

Which just goes to show how much you misunderstand my opinion on the matter. I have no desire for people to think like me, the advice I'm trying to impart is for people to think for themselves. People seem to think that what the mainstream has to offer is all there is when nothing could be farther from the truth. If you insist upon the glass being half empty instead of half full that is all you will ever see.

Abso-fecking-lutely.

But we're wasting our time. Rational discussion isn't possible here )))) :)

So, someone was forcing you, at gunpoint to listen to Michael Jackson and Prince? I remember when they were everywhere (radio, magazine covers, TV, etc.) as were Madonna and Bruce Springsteen but I wasn't being forced to listen to any of them. Then, as now, I have the option of listening to lots of other music which is an option I exercised in those days. Everywhere you turn lately it's Justin Bieber and that "Friday" video. I still haven't watched or listened to either one. They've no more contributed to the "deterioration" of music than either Michael Jackson or Prince. It's all about what you choose to listen to. I have a lot of friends that love Prince but I've never been into his music. That doesn't mean I believe he's contributed to the deterioration of anything. Instead of trying to place blame on those outside of the rock genre, why not try to find something within it that you like? Despite the proliferation of Prince, Madonna, etc. back in the 80s I had no problem finding lots and lots of music that I liked.

I for one see the 3rd thing few people see.....between optimism, pesimism there is REALISM...and that's what I am when debating music...REALISTIC:):)!!

No, no-one forced me to listen to Jacko or his kind, but when I gear silly people call him the King of Pop I cannot but LAUGH:):)!!!!

If there's one thing I totally love, it's the dirty modern sound. Minimalism, too, rather than some of those bloated extravaganzas of the 70s. (As opposed to the good stuff of the 70s.)

"those bloated extravganzas of the 70's", I know exactly what you mean by that, and I'm sure you prefer,the, how do they call it?

oh yeah "the serious rock scene".Many critics in the 70's, especially in the US, were quite reluctant towards glam rock and all this new stuff coming from the UK, it was like a sacrilege, suddenly music became more complex than Blue Suede shoe and Like A rolling stone, suddenly some mad rock musicians tried for instance to incorporate opera into rock music.

Then came the minimalism, and even now a lot of young musicians, are influenced by M jackson and others, and try to ape them.

I presume you mean the pompous extravaganza perpetrated by crappy bands like Caravan, Foreigner, Chicago, Journey and the like :):):)!!!!!

I was talking about the 70s, you seem a little confused. I wouldn't include Caravan, but I would include all those huge rock operas/concept albums.

"those bloated extravganzas of the 70's", I know exactly what you mean by that, and I'm sure you prefer,the, how do they call it?

oh yeah "the serious rock scene".Many critics in the 70's, especially in the US, were quite reluctant towards glam rock and all this new stuff coming from the UK, it was like a sacrilege, suddenly music became more complex than Blue Suede shoe and Like A rolling stone, suddenly some mad rock musicians tried for instance to incorporate opera into rock music.

Then came the minimalism, and even now a lot of young musicians, are influenced by M jackson and others, and try to ape them.

What has glam rock to do with rock opera, how can music be MORE complex than Like a Rolling Stone, what has Michael Jackson to do with minimalism? Why am I even bothering? :rolleyes:

And sorry for the double post, don't want to be a spammer. ;)

What has glam rock to do with rock opera, how can music be MORE complex than Like a Rolling Stone, what has Michael Jackson to do with minimalism? Why am I even bothering? :rolleyes:

And sorry for the double post, don't want to be a spammer. ;)

Your question is" what has glam rock to do with rock opera?", and mine is "Do you know a little band called Queen?"

Your question is" what has glam rock to do with rock opera?", and mine is "Do you know a little band called Queen?"

And my response is "yes thanks, do you?" They didn't write rock operas (A Night at the Opera's title notwithstanding), and We Will Rock You wasn't produced until long after the band's demise. Some of their songs were structured operatically, is about as close as you can get.

And my response is "yes thanks, do you?" They didn't write rock operas (A Night at the Opera's title notwithstanding), and We Will Rock You wasn't produced until long after the band's demise. Some of their songs were structured operatically, is about as close as you can get.

"Some of their songs were structured operatically, is about as close as you can get".Of course, it is, they didn't write genuine operas, they just incorporated operatic structures( with an operatic voice", but if the words "rock opera" don't correspond to Queen, I don't know what you mean by "rock operas".

"Some of their songs were structured operatically, is about as close as you can get".Of course, it is, they didn't write genuine operas, they just incorporated operatic structures( with an operatic voice", but if the words "rock opera" don't correspond to Queen, I don't know what you mean by "rock operas".

Into SOME songs. Sheesh.

Tommy, Quadrophenia, Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, The Wall, etc. Some of them I even liked, such as Ziggy Stardust and S.F. Sorrow (which was earlier).

This thread is a bad sign that music has gone to hell when there's more mention of disco, the '80's, '70's etc. than the obvious.......c-rap!

Rap and disco are mentioned because some apparently see those genres as being somehow responsible for the supposed deterioration of rock n' roll. Let's not forget that other favorite scapegoat, MTV. Evidently "minimalism" (still haven't figured that one out), a lack of experimentalism, Prince and Michael Jackson are also somehow to blame.

Strange, I was born in 1962 and have seen music go through a number of changes in my 48 years yet I've still managed to find plenty of it in each decade that moves me, even in the year 2011.

The obvious thing about rap is still being missed. If it was just a matter of some guys doing rap......so what. But there's this rhythm thing that has infected many other types of music. Country is a perfect example: they sing or shall I say rap the verses and then there's the chorus that is more melodic. My question is.....do they do this subconsciously or is it because that's what sells? I once pointed out the rap part in the Rolling Stones "Rain Fall Down" and several people didn't even know what part of the song I was talking about. Are they so used to rap that they don't even realize they're listening to it?

I honestly can't see how the incorporation of rhythm could make music worse. For me melody and rhythm complement each other. The hooks can also come from the rhythm , you know ? For an example, I'm listening to an artist called Burial at the moment. He's genre of music is dubstep which is based almost entirely on rhythm and atmosphere. Even though the songs are not very melodic in the traditional sense, I can still get hooked on them because the rhythms are so addictive. One might need to educate themselves to be able to appreciate rhythms in a new way. Once you learn to appreciate rhythm, it could open up a whole new world of opportunities to you.

By the way, I used to love the 60's and 70's stuff and always said all new music is talentless tripe. These days, when I listen to something that I have yet to hear from that era, there's a big chance that it will simply sound boring. I don't even really know why, but at the moment I feel like I usually get a lot more enjoyment from music that is from the 90's, 00's or from this decade (I'm also starting to appreciate the 80's more). There's nothing better than finding out about an album that was released a couple of years ago that was totally off your radar and then falling in love with it. I don't really get that feeling as much with the 60's and 70's.

I honestly can't see how the incorporation of rhythm could make music worse.

There's a big difference between the rhythm the Stones use on "Little Queenie" and the rhythm some country guy gets because he's been listening to too much rap in his spare time. If you listen to crap it comes out in what you play.......like musical DNA.

Music has always been about what people want. If you think it sounds good, enjoy it. If it's affecting the availability of the music you love... go look for it in the clubs and bars. It's all out there ...just need to find it

Archived