What Happened to Music?

Kathryn

There's plenty of good music out there if you're prepared to look for it. The difference now, as far as I can tell is that the charts aren't really a barometer any more (if they ever really were) for good music as a lot of that is driven by other media sources. Many acts that struggle to sell albums in any great quantity still do well on the live circuit, and here in the UK at least, the demand for live music shows little sign of abating. I still go to plenty of gigs and enjoy them as much as I did 30 years ago!

There's plenty of good music out there if you're prepared to look for it. The difference now, as far as I can tell is that the charts aren't really a barometer any more (if they ever really were) for good music as a lot of that is driven by other media sources. Many acts that struggle to sell albums in any great quantity still do well on the live circuit, and here in the UK at least, the demand for live music shows little sign of abating. I still go to plenty of gigs and enjoy them as much as I did 30 years ago!

Good for you :beer:

Me too. The rest can live in their bubble and whine on internet forums how bad the music scene is now-a-days.

There's a big difference between the rhythm the Stones use on "Little Queenie" and the rhythm some country guy gets because he's been listening to too much rap in his spare time. If you listen to crap it comes out in what you play.......like musical DNA.

Just like Dylans music went to shit when he started listening to too much rock? ;)

When its done well I don't see any reason why the two can go together....

Just like Dylans music went to shit when he started listening to too much rock? ;)

I remember many early Dylan fans went literally haywire when Bob went electric......but they DID NOT understand that his move IMPROVED music 100-fold!!!!:)

Music has always been about what people want. If you think it sounds good, enjoy it. If it's affecting the availability of the music you love... go look for it in the clubs and bars. It's all out there ...just need to find it

But THAT is the PROB.......too many people just sit there, turn on the radio or TV and listen to anythjing that is DICTATED from these crappy mediums...then what is worse, is that they go out thinking THAT was the IN music even though it was wimpy.....just because their pals listen to it too and they don't wanna be the ODD MEN/WOMEN out...it's just STUPID in mY rock book :):):)

It's was psychological, you know....a mindset.

You REALLY do have a problem thinking outside of the box don't you ?

Deep.

Spoken with the authority of experience.

That was brutal, yet, oddly, perfectly acceptable.

Respect.

I remember many early Dylan fans went literally haywire when Bob went electric......but they DID NOT understand that his move IMPROVED music 100-fold!!!!:)

Just as many fail to understand that the spread of hip hop has led to a great deal of quality music. Naturally its produced alot of rubbish aswell but hasnt everything? seeking to demonise the entire genre and everything influenced by it is just as closed minded and arrogant as Dylans folk fans were back in the day.

Just as many fail to understand that the spread of hip hop has led to a great deal of quality music. Naturally its produced alot of rubbish aswell but hasnt everything? seeking to demonise the entire genre and everything influenced by it is just as closed minded and arrogant as Dylans folk fans were back in the day.

Personally, I have nothing against hip hop as we know it....I even danced to techno in the day:):):)!!!

Bob Dylan didn't use the same melody as the rock songs he was being influenced by. He still used his own. With rap influence, many artist are singing the same rhythmic melody for their own songs. So essentially that rhythmic melody one guy is using is identical to the rhythmic melody many others are using. What if that many songs in the '70's would have had the same melody for the verse as George Harrison's "My Sweet Lord" and The Chiffons' "He's So Fine". That was just two songs, but what if that melody, as nice as it is, would have become the popular way to go and then you would have had dozens of songs with that same melody. And when I say dozens I'm being conservative, there's probably hundreds of rap influenced songs with the same melody. As nice as George's melody was on his song, I'm quite sure it would have gotten quite sickening if dozens of songs had it.

Bob Dylan didn't use the same melody as the rock songs he was being influenced by. He still used his own. With rap influence, many artist are singing the same rhythmic melody for their own songs. So essentially that rhythmic melody one guy is using is identical to the rhythmic melody many others are using. What if that many songs in the '70's would have had the same melody for the verse as George Harrison's "My Sweet Lord" and The Chiffons' "He's So Fine". That was just two songs, but what if that melody, as nice as it is, would have become the popular way to go and then you would have had dozens of songs with that same melody. And when I say dozens I'm being conservative, there's probably hundreds of rap influenced songs with the same melody. As nice as George's melody was on his song, I'm quite sure it would have gotten quite sickening if dozens of songs had it.

Every song influenced by Hip Hop has the same melody? sorry but you've lost me there.

Anyone else find it odd that the person that started this thread hasn't returned to actually take part in it and that they only have one other post on the board?

No. This thread is full of people posting just to be provocative, including one provocateur who has returned in so many guises it's hard to imagine him having a life outside these boards, and another who wants to be the world's premier spammer.

Every song influenced by Hip Hop has the same melody? sorry but you've lost me there.

I did not say that every song influenced by Hip Hop has the same melody, but it would be a good educated guess that there are hundreds that do. Here's an example: I don't generally listen to country radio but when I'm riding in a car with someone who does, sooner or later....and it's usually sooner, a song will come on with the guy singing a very rap like rhythmic melody and then another song comes on with an identical melody and the another and so on. I've heard the same identical melody in other types of music also. Not long ago I was watching a program on PBS about a young guitarist who was discovered by a photographer. The guy was no slouch at playing his instrument. The photographer took him around to many big names in the business and at the end of the program he had a recording contract. Then they showed him playing a song, singing that same rapping melody.....da-da-da, da-da, da-da-da.....

Disco hasn't lingered as long and strong as rap. It's bad influences are still here....that's why about a fourth of the soon to be released Rollings Stones Complete Singles (1971-2006) will be those horrible dance mixes, but would you have preferred a rap version , say, of "Under Cover Of The Night" or "Out Of Control". Please don't answer that....I'm afraid some would! I just can't get excited about a form of music that sounds just like those (at the risk of sounding racist) black guys (and it's never been otherwise) that are always soliciting me for some type of illegal activity when I go down town. They can't take 'no' for an answer and I can hear them yapping away at me, just like those rappers, for a block or more as I continue walking down the street. If the shoe fits.....

Archived