Rolling Stone's "The 25 Boldest Career Moves in Rock History"

Virginia

What a bunch of shit which doesn't surprise me coming from a useless rag like Rolling Stone. Britney Spears shaving her head? Who gives a fuck. The #1 move was Dylan going electric at the Newport Folk Festival. And Robert has done alright for himself since the O2 gig. I wish RS would go out of business.

If you've noticed RS is now a typical sized magazine...they're obviously cutting costs. Just give it time. I haven't read their stuff since the late 90s.

Possibly so. Most of the poll was ridiculous. Most of RS's usual favorites. Can't pay much attention to this.

It's just a poll and not something to get bent out of shape about. This kind of response though is enough to make people reconsider posting anything.

It's just a poll and not something to get bent out of shape about.

Well, you know the old saying "consider the source". I could care less about what RS has to say about anything.

This kind of response though is enough to make people reconsider posting anything.

Well, some of us have to suffer through all the slobbering and dreaming people do around here, a little disgruntled attitude won't hurt anybody.

I wonder why half the stuff posted on this forum isn't reconsidered. :coffee:

Well, you know the old saying "consider the source". I could care less about what RS has to say about anything.

Well, some of us have to suffer through all the slobbering and dreaming people do around here, a little disgruntled attitude won't hurt anybody.

I wonder why half the stuff posted on this forum isn't reconsidered. :coffee:

Admittedly, you do have a point :lol:

I don't listen to all the bitching and moaning about Rolling Stone -- I enjoy reading it. I wasn't around to read it in its heyday, but it's gotten a lot better in recent years than it was during the 00s and late 90s, that's for sure. I've always enjoyed their sociopolitical articles, and always look forward to something from Matt Taibbi. No one's forced to read it obviously, and if you don't like it that's cool. I just never understood the vitriolic hatred for it. They've slated bands I like, and praised bands I don't, but it's all subjective. It's no different than us members here talking about what bands/albums/songs we like, and which ones we don't.

Rolling Stone magazine is run by an elitist snob named Jann Wenner. When he started publication in 1967, the idea was original and quite groundbreaking. Then other pubs came along, namely Creem and Crawdaddy. They were less political and more musician friendly. If you remember, RS snubbed Led Zeppelin while the others featured them, and other bands I liked on a regular basis. It was a matter of taste then, since I cared zip about politics. Now that the others are gone and RS stands pretty much alone, I think of them as a "what's hot" bandwagon jumping type of publication. Plus their involvement in the R&R Hall of Fame is a joke as is most of the polls/lists of "the greatest" are, imo.

Rolling Stone isn't being isolated by these accusations.

Jahfin asks "which music journalism do you read?"

None. The magazine rack is all the same. It's a lot more about gear pushing/advertisement than anything else. Sure, sometimes there are semi-interesting featured stories, but even with that these magazines don't make it in my pocket. Everything in society today is so over hyped, warped. I think if we wanted to get down to the core of it all, we'd really be talking about the reason these magazines stay in business.

$$$

I don't say this with cynicism because this does not please me. But from what i see, we are having some sort of an Artist Crisis. :blink:

That's more of a music magazine that specializes in one thing; more specifically what magazines featuring music journalism does everyone like?

As I briefly glanced through a list of music journals at the following link...

library.music.indiana.edu/music_resources/journals

I noticed one or two that I read every so often, Dance and Spin Magazines. Once in a while I browse through Downbeat and of course, Entertainment Magazine, E! Online, and the music sections of various newspapers. But when I'm in the periodicals room at the library I randomly graze through all the journals on display.

Has anyone ever read through the Harp Therapy Journal? That's a new title for me.

I think these polls are fun to read, and take them with a grain of salt. But I'm sorry that I posted it. Won't happen again.

Don't be sorry. Who cares what those people said? If they don't care for Rolling Stone, they're free to ignore any and all threads that mention it.

In the 70's there was one music magazine I read religiously from cover-to-cover and that was CREEM.

I would also read Crawdaddy, Trouser Press, Rolling Stone, Downbeat, NME, Melody Maker, and Circus on a semi-regular basis.

Later in the 70's the punk zines started to appear and those were always fun reads and some are now quite valuable.

But Creem was my rock n roll bible from 1969 to about 1986 when it started running out of steam.

Today MOJO is the one magazine I always make sure to get every month and read every page. Good writers(including some old Creem vets), a large and varied review section, a good mix between historical and new music, and a free cd with every issue makes Mojo the one essential read for any music fan.

The other music mags I still peruse with varying degrees of devotion are Uncut, Paste, Downbeat, Gramophone, BBC Music, HotPress, American Songwriter, Record Collector, Relix, Q, NME, The Wire, Spin, Filter, Oxford American Music Issue, and yes, even Rolling Stone...although more for its current affairs reportage than its musical content.

My thoughts are Led Zeppelin demanding a percentage of the ticket sales.

From what I understand and please correct me if I'm wrong but at the time zep started

bands got paid a flat fee to play. They demanded a percentage of the gate due to their popularity.

Thank you Peter Grant.

The fourth album being released without the name of the band on it? BOLD! How many others have done that?

Funny how so many people complain about Rolling Stone but when asked to name their favorite music magazines only something like three people have been able to provide an answer. Thing is, people may bitch about someone like Justin Bieber being on the cover recently but what they neglect to mention is the outstanding piece that ran in that very same issue on The Clash. That's how it works, people that don't normally buy Rolling Stone might pick it up just because of the cover but then they end up getting educated on The Clash or whatever other artists are featured in a particular issue. Print is a dying medium so it doesn't bother me in the least that they put a teen idol on the cover (it isn't the first time), it's about the great music writing within that keeps me coming back. I've been a subscriber off and on since the 70s and will most likely continue to be. However, it's not the only music magazine I read. There's also Mojo, Uncut and several others that I pick up on occasion, depending upon the content. Paste went under a year or so ago but they've recently been acquired by Wolfgang's Vault. I'm not sure if they plan to revive the print edition or not but I frequently read their website as well as several other music blogs/ezines. There has been talk of bringing Creem back as well (I also used to read it religiously back in the 70s) but that's yet to happen. In the meantime, they've archived many of their best articles online.

• 1 month later...

That's more of a music magazine that specializes in one thing; more specifically what magazines featuring music journalism does everyone like?

I was blown away when I discovered Mojo magazine in a NJ Tower Records 10-12 years ago. Each article is so well researched and written, and they seem to write about great music from all eras as opposed to glorifying whatever is trendy at the moment. I recommend it heartily.

Archived