jasons drum kit

Those are not Bonhams drums and cymbals. First off, his bass drum was a virgin bass drum meaning there was no tom holder. He place his top tom on a snare stand, second, the paiste's 2002 cymbals were black label cymbals and these are clearly red, which are 1980's and now the reissues. As far as the snare, who knows, and the timpanis and gong, who knows, but the drums and cymbals are not.

Actually that's not true. The only set up Bonham used a snare stand for the rack tom was with the Maple kit he used in 1969 -- the one he used in the Albert Hall concert seen on the Led Zeppelin DVD. He sometimes used both -- the bass drum mount AND the snare stand. Talk about heavy duty!!

On the Vista Light set, he used the standard Ludwig tom mount. It plainly visible on the SRTS DVD.

He used that mount system up until 1977 when he got the Stainless Steel kit, which used the "Y" shaped mounts.

As for the cymbals, those may or may not be his, but where in any of those photos do you see the RED 2002 logo??

For a list of Bonzo's cymbal purchases, look here:

http://www.vintage-drum-net.de/collection/...zoagreement.htm

tc

Actually that's not true. The only set up Bonham used a snare stand for the rack tom was with the Maple kit he used in 1969 -- the one he used in the Albert Hall concert seen on the Led Zeppelin DVD. He sometimes used both -- the bass drum mount AND the snare stand. Talk about heavy duty!!

On the Vista Light set, he used the standard Ludwig tom mount. It plainly visible on the SRTS DVD.

He used that mount system up until 1977 when he got the Stainless Steel kit, which used the "Y" shaped mounts.

As for the cymbals, those may or may not be his, but where in any of those photos do you see the RED 2002 logo??

For a list of Bonzo's cymbal purchases, look here:

http://www.vintage-drum-net.de/collection/...zoagreement.htm

tc

I stand Humbly corrected..... I still dont think that is his real kit though.

I would also like to thank 'Northern Monkey' for the picture posts!

I would like to add that I own a Ludwig Maple kit almost like Bonham's Albert hall show.

Just BIGGER.

26x18 Bass

14x10 snare

15 tom

18 floor tom

20 floor tom

All Pastie cymbals....including a 24 inch ride!

Also "The Ching Ring"

Front & Back Heads on all. I don't like sticking a pillow in the Bass drum either!

My drummer friends sound fantastic when they play it , but they don't want to haul it around ......

which I can't blame them.

Love it that Jason did use a Vistalite set for the show.

They reissued the "Amber" kit right after I bought mine.(I just knew this would happen)

Happy New Year to All!

i am not 100% sure i understand how i brought you back but welcome back.

i was being a little tongue in cheek on my asking forgiveness...this is a forum ya have to take everything with a bit a salt.\\

but your post is very interesting.

I was saying that the older vista's amber color was more of a yellow orange. I have never seen a yellow amber back then. They had Bright yellow , yes, but they did not have Jason's yellow, its a deeper color. As far as them sounding better now, I dont think so. I have played drums for 30 years and I can tell you they do not sound better. Better construction on the seams, I will give you that, but the actual acylic is not as thick. I have both , the vintage and the new ones side by side same tuning, same heads, and the older ones have more resonance. Speak with experience, not websight garb. Dont you know most of the stuff put on magazines or on the endorsers page is crap. You think in the studio they use what they say? NOPE>>> So Jason's set maybe the new yellow but it is not the old, they are different tones of yellow. By the way I got schooled by a moron who just copied and pasted a wilpedia statement. You know everything thats on there is true, lmaof. Believe everything you read instead of experience, you joker... Now get on your little yellow bus and get schooled......

You were trying to make the argument that he HAD to be playing on a vintage kit:

Not only are they constructed cheaper now, the colors do not match up. Mine was more yellow orange like Bonzo's. So he must have got a vintage kit from someone or maybe it was his dads.

Now man up and admit it!

The wikipedia link was one of the many sources of information out there about Ludwig Vistlites. I simply used it because it was there and had correct information about that topic.

"Jason is a very nice person-and a very GREAT skin beater with a true kind human side of him to take the time to share with ME/us, just some fans that he had never met.

Thank you Jason Bonham!

Jimmy & Robert were great with me also in 1995 & 1998.

I have been VERY BUSY the last 10 years & hate I have missed JPJ, but I know he would be just as kind if I ever got a chance to meet him.

So many of these so-called MUSICIANS take on music like it is some kind of competition which makes me SICK!

That lets me know that they are missing the whole point of LED-ZEPPELIN.

I never really practice-I pick up the guitar & just channel as much energy into it that I can muster. Music is about the feel. Sometimes I play good, sometimes not so good.

But I have fun with it. That is what MUSIC IS ABOUT!

Great players inspire me, but they NEVER intimidate me."

"Make music for no one but you----Be your best/worst critic & the true Presence of music will be channeled THROUGH you."

Amen, Jimmy. On the flip, I have met and spoken with Danny Hutton and Cory Wells of TDN along with Van Dyke Parks in my search of Brian Wilson's Smile vibe. I thought if I met these people, I could find the said vibe and touch the presence. I found through them that I as already in touch with it, but didn't give myself credit. The common denominator I have found with musicians that I respect (Zep, the Beach Boys, Beatles, Floyd, the Zombies, et al) is that they are all humbled by the presence and carry this humility at their core, though there may be a bit of flash and transient bullshit on the exterior.

-Surfbass in Calif.

You were trying to make the argument that he HAD to be playing on a vintage kit:

Now man up and admit it!

The wikipedia link was one of the many sources of information out there about Ludwig Vistlites. I simply used it because it was there and had correct information about that topic.

I am manning up..... Thank you, I was wrong, I jumped the gun, shoot me, sorry, I aplogize, etc. etc. etc. Now Zep lets go and tour, I just got the Song remains the same in HD, and it is awesome anyone out there with an Hd Player go get this, you can get it online at Best buy. Peace and love..

I am manning up..... Thank you, I was wrong, I jumped the gun, shoot me, sorry, I aplogize, etc. etc. etc. Now Zep lets go and tour, I just got the Song remains the same in HD, and it is awesome anyone out there with an Hd Player go get this, you can get it online at Best buy. Peace and love..

Ok well I am sorry for coming off so negatively....especially to a fellow drummer who loves Led Zeppelin and Vistalites my two favorite things on earth (ok women are first but Zep and Vistalites are 2 and 3 LOL).

Got any pics of your drumsets? I posted mine a page or two ago in this thread.

Bonzo only ever used the hi-hat tambourine during "Moby Dick". Do Jason's not having them didn't change anything.
Don't forget Bron Yr Aur Stomp! But it still made no dif for O2. :D

I was gonna say Mist Mt. Hop as well, but upon further inspection, there is just a single shot of the hi-hat tamborine edited into that cut in the film at MSG.

Wow! I just listened to Battle of Evermore by Led Blimpie! LOL

Nice! You and Julie Reyburn sing great! Especially Julie tho, that girls got some singing chops!!!

Kudos and keep up the good work!!!

:blush: I humbly and sincerily thank you very much. Julie is my wife. I'm not singing, I'm playing mandolin.

You should write some folk stuff and have your wife do the singing...man I am telling you it would be a hit! I would buy the first CD! :D

Not that I want to discorage you from tributing Led Zep tho... :D

I mean in addition to that! LOL

Here is a reply that I sent to the person that started this thread. This is the truth, I was there, I have seen them in person:

Hello,

I see the link to the pics of Bonham's Amber Set. I just wanted to give you a litle more info on these. When these pics were taken, over 10 years ago, at that time, Bill Townsend in Raleigh, NC owned them. He paid $85,000 for the, and had them insured through Loyds of London.

Bill Townsend passed away years ago, I do not know who currently owns them, or where they are. I have seen them in person, and yes, I have played them. All of the cymbals, heads, tympany, original 3 ring logo head on the front was Bonhams. He had all of the cases for them that said Led Zeppelin on them also.

It was something to see at the time, I will never forget it!

Here is a reply that I sent to the person that started this thread. This is the truth, I was there, I have seen them in person:

Hello,

I see the link to the pics of Bonham's Amber Set. I just wanted to give you a litle more info on these. When these pics were taken, over 10 years ago, at that time, Bill Townsend in Raleigh, NC owned them. He paid $85,000 for the, and had them insured through Loyds of London.

Bill Townsend passed away years ago, I do not know who currently owns them, or where they are. I have seen them in person, and yes, I have played them. All of the cymbals, heads, tympany, original 3 ring logo head on the front was Bonhams. He had all of the cases for them that said Led Zeppelin on them also.

It was something to see at the time, I will never forget it!

:blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

holy f*ck that must have been amazing! I'd give one of my toes to play his set once...

I knew that those drums had been auctioned off in the mid-seventies. The event is described in the book "John Bonham: A thunder of Drums". It's cool to see a kit that we all recognize just sittin' in someones living room. Did MR. Townsend have any other famous gear??

When Page and Plant played LA in 1995, they had this rolling museum in the parking lot with a drum set that they said was Bonzo's. They were Amber Vistas, but I seem to remember thinking that they were not the actual drums that he owned. Did Mr. Townsend still own them at that point?

Thanks for clearing this one up!!

tc

I knew that those drums had been auctioned off in the mid-seventies. The event is described in the book "John Bonham: A thunder of Drums". It's cool to see a kit that we all recognize just sittin' in someones living room. Did MR. Townsend have any other famous gear??

When Page and Plant played LA in 1995, they had this rolling museum in the parking lot with a drum set that they said was Bonzo's. They were Amber Vistas, but I seem to remember thinking that they were not the actual drums that he owned. Did Mr. Townsend still own them at that point?

Thanks for clearing this one up!!

tc

according to the records ,ludwig would send bonzo 26 individual drums per year for him to use,enough to have spares and complete spare kits as he wanted to configure them,so with that you could possibly have 12 vistalyte kits that were his? these were only used for concerts and had to travel a lot,they were never used for recording,for that he used wooden shells.

Archived