WORST SOUND AT A GIG EVER !

After listening to all of the songs on youtube either filmed by cell phones or portable dvd recorders . Zeppelin still rocks. Watch the clip from BBC World news on you tube and hear Zep play. Sounds excellent.

Zeppelin has never lost it. Please come toToronto

We will all be waiting

B)

Could we now on which type of loudspeakers did you hear that ttape on the radio?....

Probably not High Fidelity loudspeakers

Am I wrong?...

Give the reference of your stuff i'm interested!

See ya

Artur

radio D J 's played the tape sent to them then apologized for the poor sound quality,and said they will try to get better recordings "if they are available" .

Jesus.... After such a monumental occasion I can't imagine myself complaining about anything. I have seen and heard several audio/video clips of the show, and TSRTS sounded a touch bottom heavy which could be due to a dozen variables. But other than that it appeared to be a brilliant performance.

It's a shame that audiophiles focus on the most silly details that they lose sight of the big picture. When you consider that there could have been 1000 ways that this gig could have crashed and burned and didn't, it seems so insignificant to gripe about anything the morning after.

Today is a day for all Zep fans to rejoice at their triumphant return, rather than piss and moan that it didn't sound like a CD on their home system.

I COMPLETELY agree with you - who can complain after such a SPECTACULAR show? Also, where I was standing the sound was PERFECT. Jimmy Page sounded absolutely and completely outstanding and I noticed no feedback at all. Thank you Led Zeppelin for coming back and giving it your very best! The night was unforgettably terrific!

I Agree Evster2012 ! ! The You Tube Videos have sounded good !

That was the Beauty of when Zeppelin performed in the 70's.... They were the only act.... and so the Soundcheck held....

So, ONE guy (sincerely) thinks there was too much Bass.....

We must read all of the reviews, and weigh his evaluation in it all...

I wasn't there and I think the cell phone and DV cam recordings sound ok, but I must add that it doesn't really tell us anything about the live sound in the arena as those things do not record that kind of frequencies. I tried to make it sound a bit beefier at home, the EQ would do nothing because there is no sound below a few hundred herz. Also the sound may have been very different on the upper parts and on the floor.

This is a big problem at many venues and I fully agree with another opinion in another thread: if Peter had been there, a lot of people would have taken better care of their jobs. ;)

But lets not crucify this guy yet, although the title for the thread could have been a bit more discreet, ok?

Cheers, Percy

I gotta say everytime I see the title of this thread it makes me angry, this was without a doubt the best gig I have ever attended and may well be the best gig I will ever attend if they don't tour............

Av fun folks

Andy

Agreed. Hate all the whining and complaining. I feel damn lucky to have been there! Think of all the people who didn't make it. And I did think the sound was great up on the balcony where I was and I've said that before.

I didn't think it was that bad, I mean most rock gigs are a little muddy sometimes, nature of the beast, but I have to say its the first rock gig I have been to where I didn't leave with ringing in my ears, I thought it was just about right, although there were a few moments of not being able to distinguish things. On the whole though i found it clear !!

Ya know...this guy has an opinion...as extreme as it's stated....WORST SOUND EVER ?

Well. Maybe for him...it's all subjective. Could be he's always gone to pristine sounding shows (I doubt it..) but still....

I'd much rather someone express thier dismay at something..and give reasons that can be technical or just something anyone can relate to. But you guys who say 'don't complain and just LOVE everything for what it is'...well...that's just WEAK !

I nitpick about the shows I go to as well....but generally theres alot more positive than negative..but I won't hold in the negative as if I was trodding on holy ground. There've been other people to come in and support a point of view. Doesn't mean you hate the band, the concert or whatever...but if things dont' sound right.and can be improved and criticized....go for it ! Geez....

Doesn't diminish my love for the band or tarnish this show or any others I've been to or heard....does it to you people who are bummed at this guy's viewpoint ?

I've heard boots that sound like shit...not just the recording but you can tell the venue's sound sucked or that the PA sucked....or the mixer.

So what.....talk about it....be critical...have some backbone. I'd say this guy's pretty brave to say what he did and to not back out of the criticism he gets.....and to stand firm in his view of the sound.....

How could it be the worst sound -ever....knew this thread was going to go on and on. fucking bummer.

Fear not Todd. The sound was fine. I have a boot of the whole gig and that is also fine.

People should just be very grateful that they were there to witness such a thing.

'sleeping now to rise again!'

Fear not Todd. The sound was fine. I have a boot of the whole gig and that is also fine.

People should just be very grateful that they were there to witness such a thing.

'sleeping now to rise again!'

I heard what i heard on the clips -pilot... nothing can rain on this here parade.

i am still in celebration... cheers everybody. it finally happened!

We were standing to the extreme right of the stage about 5 in from the front (see my avatar).

The first 2 songs were way too bassy (or just not enough top-end?). I couldn't hear Jimmys guitar at all. In fact, I didn't even recognise Ramble On until they got to the chorus.

After that it seemed fine, still bassy, the kick-drum went through you, but at least it was good quality. I loved it from then on!

We were standing to the extreme right of the stage about 5 in from the front (see my avatar).

The first 2 songs were way too bassy (or just not enough top-end?). I couldn't hear Jimmys guitar at all. In fact, I didn't even recognise Ramble On until they got to the chorus.

After that it seemed fine, still bassy, the kick-drum went through you, but at least it was good quality. I loved it from then on!

Ahh, bassy, a welcome back to -john paul jones....for one heavy full on -led zeppelin show.

Sheesh, what a bunch of whiners. I've never in my life been to a rock concert that didn't have at least one instance of feedback. I've played many a gig and never once had a show without feedback, purposefully or otherwise.

Whiney-A$$ kid: "But it doesn't sound as good as my custom home audio system that I spent way to much money on instead of on a woman."

AAAWwwww, didums you get upset at the scarey feedback? This is what happens when neurotic post-war boomers raise their kids through micromangement and high-end merchandise as an incentive to be good kids.

As David Gilmour said: "Where would Rock and Roll be without feedback?"

---LG

Have to say that the feedback throughout much of their opener, Good Times, was a major disappointment. All that time spent rehearsing and you'd think the sound would have been mixed perfectly by show time and really, there is no excuse for it. The opener was not as good as it could have been. Thankfully, the rest of the show got better.....

OK, time to chip in, here. To a large extent, the venue has a sound that your ears need time to "tune-in" to. It happens at every gig I've been to. It's been pointed out by Evester that a room's sound will change once it fills with people, so no amount of sound checking in an empty hall will give the mixing engineer a final result, and will need to compensate for this once the performance starts.

So, now to my point. I was at Earls Court on May 24th 1975. The band came on and started playing. From where I was sitting, the mix was just a shambles (to my ears). It took half the first number before I realised they were playing Rock And Roll! After this, the sound gradually became more organised, and after a few songs the sound was good for the rest of the night. I was not the only one who experienced this phenomena: I was approached by an individual on Waterloo station who saw my Led Zeppelin Physical Rocket T shirt, and asked if I was at the gig tonight. I confirmed I was, and he asked me what song did they start with! He expressed disbelief me when I told him, but finally agreed that I was right.

It was with much anticipation that I entered Earls Court the following night (25th) with the knowledge that the sound had been honed the previous evening, but was amazed that the same thing applied at the start. Again, the mix was a total shambles. I was sitting in a different part of the hall, so I can only assume it took a while for my ears to tune in. Again, after several songs, the mix was clear, and remained good for the next three hours or so. The bootleg recordings do not bear this out as being the sound engineer's fault however, so I can only put it down to the sound of the room, and the time it takes for the brain to come to terms with what my ears were telling it. We used to describe it as "getting your ears in" to a particular venue.

Any other attendees of those gigs experience something similar?

RB

IMHO...there is no way an event like this should of had ANY sound issues! there was enough time and money to have this flawlessly arranged; with all error-proofing inplace. It was a disapointment to here the feedback, they had back-up band for what reason? maybe the sound guys were from the same era (the 70's) and have since partied too much! THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR SOUND ISSUES THESE DAYS!

Zap!

But it was a live performance, old chap, not the controlled environment of the recording studio. Things can (and do) go wrong when it's live.

RB

absoblumminlutely!

You can soundcheck and rehearse until the cows come home, BUT things are always different under "battle conditions"! Musicians nearly always play louder/hit harder and want more monitors mainly due to the sheer adrenaline floating about, and can you just imagine how much of THAT there was??

The other fact to take into consideration is that the band don't have a regular crew that know them better than they know themselves like they did in the old days. Sure Robert's normal monitor man was doing the onstage mix (as I understand, anyway) BUT the onstage volume would be MUCH louder then he used to. I'm not saying that mistakes weren't made, but hey, that's life! I think flying the sidefills probably didn't help. They would have been better groundstacked, but that simply isn't the way things are done these days (and it's only my opinion anyway!)

I think the general criticism of the engineers that is being bandied about is an absolute insult to everyone involved. They weren't just dragged in off the street and given the job you know!

I must admit I'm really fed up with this topic :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

SEVERAL PEOPLE, INCLUDING MYSELF HAVE TOLD YOU WHY TOSE FEEDBACKS OCCURED AND WHY IS IT ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO COMPLETLY PREVENT THEM FROM HAPPENING!!!

READ THE ANSWERS GIVEN AND DO NOT GIVE YOUR SMAL AND SELFISH OPINION!!!!

GOD DAMN IT!! :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

SHIT!

Artur

I must admit I'm really fed up with this topic :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

SEVERAL PEOPLE, INCLUDING MYSELF HAVE TOLD YOU WHY TOSE FEEDBACKS OCCURED AND WHY IS IT ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO COMPLETLY PREVENT THEM FROM HAPPENING!!!

READ THE ANSWERS GIVEN AND DO NOT GIVE YOUR SMAL AND SELFISH OPINION!!!!

GOD DAMN IT!! :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

SHIT!

Artur

everyone should just ignore this topic to keep it from bumping up (which i am doing now, shit - but it's definitely my last posting in it).

Archived