Nuclear power,yay or nay?

Walesdad

Reluctantly, I vote for nukes. Truth is, we are crack addicts, boys and girls. We need the dealers to keep our lights on, and our cars on the road.

You have to remember, you're talking with someone that thinks Rick Dees' "Disco Duck" was ground zero for Disco in the 70s.

then it's time to clear up the confusion:

"Moving my feet to the disco beat

How in the world could I keep my seat ...

When the music stopped I returned to my seat

But there's no stoppin' a duck and his beak ... "

"Moving my feet to the disco beat

How in the world could I keep my seat ...

When the music stopped I returned to my seat

But there's no stoppin' a duck and his beak ... "

To call that IDIOT and his cast of IDIOTS......IDIOTS..... is an understatement:):); hahahhahahahahahhahahha >:):):)

I'm for nuclear power/energy, because I think it would help wean us off our dependence of fossil fuels. Yes the situation in Japan is awful, and Chernobyl 25 years ago was equally if not more tragic, but those are relatively rare occurrences, and on the whole nuclear power is cleaner and safer. Also, the situation in Japan that is going on is a result of the earthquake and tsunami -- there's no evidence that this would have happened otherwise. Chernobyl happened because of bureaucratic issues, poor training of workers, and outmoded designs for the reactor. Had they been using the same reactors that had been built and were being used in the States, it more than likely wouldn't have happened.

I think people scare too easily when it comes to this issue.

:goodpost:

It was Liz.

KB

Hi all,

With the ongoing situation in Japan,should the world keep on developing and using nuclear power?Any opinions?

Walesdad,to get back on topic,....

I don't think so and nothing to do with the situation in Japan,that should be another topic,IMHO.

1,Green police,lawsuits,etc,etc,....

2. Cost,building a new plant will cost too much for it ever be cost effective.Kilowatt vs. cost.

KB

All against it.

1. The waste problem - there yet is no 100% safe deposit found for nuclear waste. In one deposit in my federal state of germany there was water running in, HELL YEAH! Also no one can say how long our data storage devices will last. CDs last for a few decades - how long will for example usb or other digital devices last? The waste will be dangerous for centuries, ten thousands of years?.... How can we make sure that we'll be able to warn future generations: "hey, don't open that cave, there is some really dangerous shit in!" ? Even when we'd stop using nuclear power instantly, there is a HUGE problem we are burding on our children, grand-children, and so on and on and on.

2. Nuclear Power is neither clean nor renewable. Uran is a substance like oil or coal that has limited sources only. Also, if my political science classes and the material we deal with is reliable, a nuclear power plant is producing 1/8 of the co²-amount of a carbon power plant. Also considering the nuclear waste = no clean energy in my book.

3. Speaking of Germany, and probably most other countries as well, nuclear power makes a country highly dependant on that few countries which have the oppertunity of affordable uran extraction. Many countries have uran resources actually, but the fewest can extract them easily. Speaking of Germany, the uran resources are that deep in the ground and that few it is a lot cheaper (yet, referring to point 2 uran isn't renewable either so prices WILL rise as soon as a the reamining resources get fewer) to import it all from Iran.(what a nice democratic state everybody wants to trade with ~) There is a similar problem field as there is on oil/coal - only few countries have resources easy and cheap to extract, so the other countries depend on them.

And since Germany is a resource poor country in general, the only option we have is to take a leading role in research on renewable energies so we can export the technology and patents to other countries and make a lot of cash B)

4. renewable energies can provide enough energy. Actually the amount of energy that comes with sun rays is I don't know how many thousand or even millions times the current world's energy need. Sun energy is not only solar power, the thermic causes winds and photosynthesis produces energy as well. Oh, and water energy of course. Considering how we all grow and life and practically everything is living, moving and reproducing with the sun energy being the very first root one can imagine how much energy we are actually getting thrown on earth everyday.

problem is, there are yet not enough storage capacities. However, investing in research on improving these is investing in future. Saying, "there is not enough yet so let*s build nukes like mad" is a rather weak argument. What about: There is not enough yet so let's do research like mad?

Problems such as lacking storage capacity/storing techniques or a higher price can only and must be solved by research, research, research. almost funny though how in Germany some wind power plants aren't running because the electricity network is already clogged with power produced by nuclear power plants.

Renewable energies are behind their oppertunities yet. But that is never an argument to say it is better to invest in nuclear energy INSTEAD of renewable energies. Thinking in long terms the only possible way are renewable energies.

Edited for typos.

Hi all,

>1. The waste problem - there yet is no 100% safe deposit found for nuclear waste. In one deposit in my federal state of germany there was water running in, HELL YEAH! Also no one can say how long our data storage devices will last. CDs last for a few decades - how long will for example usb or other digital devices last? The waste will be dangerous for centuries, ten thousands of years?.... How can we make sure that we'll be able to warn future generations: "hey, don't open that cave, there is some really dangerous shit in!" ? Even when we'd stop using nuclear power instantly, there is a HUGE problem we are burding on our children, grand-children, and so on and on and on.<

Now point to facts that nuclear waste sites is causing death?"Open the cave?LOL!Next,..

>2. Nuclear Power is neither clean nor renewable. Uran is a substance like oil or coal that has limited sources only. Also, if my political science classes and the material we deal with is reliable, a nuclear power plant is producing 1/8 of the co²-amount of a carbon power plant. Also considering the nuclear waste = no clean energy in my book.<

Again point to the facts.Your political science class? :rolleyes: How is your mathematics or your physics class?

>3. Speaking of Germany, and probably most other countries as well, nuclear power makes a country highly dependant on that few countries which have the oppertunity of affordable uran extraction. Many countries have uran resources actually, but the fewest can extract them easily. Speaking of Germany, the uran resources are that deep in the ground and that few it is a lot cheaper (yet, referring to point 2 uran isn't renewable either so prices WILL rise as soon as a the reamining resources get fewer) to import it all from Iran.(what a nice democratic state everybody wants to trade with ~) There is a similar problem field as there is on oil/coal - only few countries have resources easy and cheap to extract, so the other countries depend on them.

And since Germany is a resource poor country in general, the only option we have is to take a leading role in research on renewable energies so we can export the technology and patents to other countries and make a lot of cash B)<

:blink:

That's enough,egad! :burp:

Hi all,

>1. The waste problem - there yet is no 100% safe deposit found for nuclear waste. In one deposit in my federal state of germany there was water running in, HELL YEAH! Also no one can say how long our data storage devices will last. CDs last for a few decades - how long will for example usb or other digital devices last? The waste will be dangerous for centuries, ten thousands of years?.... How can we make sure that we'll be able to warn future generations: "hey, don't open that cave, there is some really dangerous shit in!" ? Even when we'd stop using nuclear power instantly, there is a HUGE problem we are burding on our children, grand-children, and so on and on and on.<

Now point to facts that nuclear waste sites is causing death?"Open the cave?LOL!Next,..

>2. Nuclear Power is neither clean nor renewable. Uran is a substance like oil or coal that has limited sources only. Also, if my political science classes and the material we deal with is reliable, a nuclear power plant is producing 1/8 of the co²-amount of a carbon power plant. Also considering the nuclear waste = no clean energy in my book.<

Again point to the facts.Your political science class? :rolleyes: How is your mathematics or your physics class?

>3. Speaking of Germany, and probably most other countries as well, nuclear power makes a country highly dependant on that few countries which have the oppertunity of affordable uran extraction. Many countries have uran resources actually, but the fewest can extract them easily. Speaking of Germany, the uran resources are that deep in the ground and that few it is a lot cheaper (yet, referring to point 2 uran isn't renewable either so prices WILL rise as soon as a the reamining resources get fewer) to import it all from Iran.(what a nice democratic state everybody wants to trade with ~) There is a similar problem field as there is on oil/coal - only few countries have resources easy and cheap to extract, so the other countries depend on them.

And since Germany is a resource poor country in general, the only option we have is to take a leading role in research on renewable energies so we can export the technology and patents to other countries and make a lot of cash B)<

:blink:

That's enough,egad! :burp:

He-ehm. How can we make sure that in a few thousands years, if a nuclear waste deposit is discovered/opened conincidentially, that the people also know what is there in front of them? Even digital devices could vanish... And when the knowledge of where are nuclear waste deposits vanishes, it can be really dangerous. Accidentially opening/damaging a deposit - what could possibly happen? Neither we can make sure the information will last as long as the radiation does, neither anyone can predict what would happen if a then unknown deposit is opened.

Point 2 is bare logic. The rarer a resouce gets, the higher the prices are. And since there is no never-ending stock of uran it isn't a renewable energy.

And what is your problem with point 3? Using nuclear energy does make a country dependant on those countries who extract large amounts or uran.

Oh, shall I scan in the papers we got? Scan in the pages of my books? Link you any statistics about the figues were uran is ectracted and were exported to?

Just adding silly emoticons doesn't proove your point. Neither you gave any to disprove mine.

Muon-catalyzed fusion (μCF) is a process allowing nuclear fusion to take place at temperatures significantly lower than the temperatures required for thermonuclear fusion, even at room temperature or lower. Although it can be produced reliably with the right equipment and has been much studied, it is believed that the poor energy balance will prevent it from ever becoming a practical power source. However, if muons (μ−

) could be produced more efficiently, or if they could be used as catalysts more efficiently, the energy balance might improve enough for muon-catalyzed fusion to become a practical power source.

Muons are unstable subatomic particles. They are similar to electrons, but are about 207 times more massive. If a muon replaces one of the electrons in a hydrogen molecule, the nuclei are consequently drawn 207 times closer together than they would be in a normal molecule. When the nuclei are this close together, the probability of nuclear fusion is greatly enhanced, to the point where a significant number of fusion events can happen at room temperature. Unfortunately, it is difficult to create large numbers of muons efficiently; moreover, the existence of processes that remove muons from the catalytic cycle mean that each muon can only catalyze a few hundred nuclear fusion reactions before it decays away. These two factors limit muon-catalyzed fusion to a laboratory curiosity, although there is some speculation that an efficient muon source could someday lead to a useful room-temperature fusion reactor.

Someone up here is OUTDATED, hehehehhehehe :):):)...and many people here have HUGE probs when it comes to chromologically proving facts, even in MUSIC:):):)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_fusion#Ongoing_work

In January, 2011, researchers from the University of Bologna, Andrea Rossi and Sergio Focardi, claim to have successfully demonstrated commercially viable cold fusion using an apparatus, built by themselves, which they call an Energy Catalyzer. As the target is immediate commercialization, the inventors claim details will not be published. In April, 2011, an evaluation of the Energy Catalyzer, conducted under the control of Rossi, was conducted by the Chairman of the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences’ Energy Committee accompanied by an associate professor of theoretical physics and a lecturer at the Swedish Royal Institute of Technology and chairman of the Swedish Skeptics Society.[63][64] Again, the evaluation was positive.

• 8 months later...

Japanese tsunami debris washes up on U.S. West Coast nine months after disaster (and there's 100 MILLION more tons on its way)

Large black floats are the first remnants of Japan's devastating earthquake and tsunami to begin washing up on the American coastline.

The debris traveled 4,500 miles on Pacific Ocean currents, pushed by wind and water, to reach the beaches of Neah Bay in far northwestern Washington state 280 days after the Japanese disaster.

Some 100 million tons of debris -- from wrecked fishing vessels to household furniture and even body parts -- is bearing down on the West Coast, raising environmental fears about the impact of massive amounts of wreckage clogging beaches.

article-2075110-0F33562100000578-376_468x444.jpg

Found: This large float made its way from Japan to Neah Bay, Washington, in about 280 days. Several have been found washed ashore in North America

article-2075110-0F33694B00000578-292_468x286.jpg

Across the ocean: Currents and winds carried the floats across vast expanses of the Pacific Ocean

The debris is even more massive and moving much faster than originally predicted. Initial projections said 5 to 20 million tons of waste would take three years to reach American shores.

Now, scientists say, 100 million tons could be here in just one year.

One float, the size of a 55-gallon drum, was found in Washington two weeks ago, another was reportedly discovered in Vancouver, Canada.

The 9.0 magnitude earthquake and ensuing tsunami that struck the eastern coast of Japan March 11 killed more than 15,000 people and washed homes, boats and human lives out to sea.

Anything that floated is now riding Pacific currents. According to computer predictions from the University of Hawaii, most of it is headed for an area between southern Alaska and southern California.

The researchers in Hawaii predicted most of the debris will reach the US mainland in three years.

article-2075110-0F33576600000578-368_468x286.jpg

First arrivals: Oceanographer Jim Ingraham says the Japanese float is the first of millions of tons of debris likely to reach the shore

article-2075110-0F32FAE500000578-953_468x286.jpg

Pieces of Japanese life: All manner of debris was swept out to sea in the tsunami March 11 and is now headed for US coastlines

However, oceanographers Curtis Ebbesmeyer and Jim Ingraham said some of the flotsam appears to be traveling much faster and could hit the West Coast in less than a year, the Peninsula Daily News reported.

Most debris travels at about 7 miles per day, the Seattle scientists said, but pieces can cover up to 20 miles in a day if they are big enough for the wind to push them.

The large black drums averaged about 16 miles per day to reach Neah Bay in Washington.

The University of Hawaii team also predicted the debris was about 5 to 20 million tons.

However Mr Ebbesmeyer and Ingraham say the errant Japanese flotsam could be five times that amount, about 100 million tons.

Sailors and the US Navy have spotted all manner of shards of Japanese life in the massive debris fields that are floating the currents.

In October, the crew of a Russian ship spotted televisions and refrigerators riding the current. Parts of homes, and a wrecked 20-foot fishing vessel have also been seen.

article-2075110-0F32ED1800000578-128_468x315.jpg

Salvaged: Crew members of a Russian training ship pulled in a fishing boat from Japan that was found 2,000 miles out to sea

article-2075110-0F32ED0600000578-475_468x286.jpg

Massive wreckage: The debris field in the Pacific Ocean has been spread out in an area even larger than Japan itself

Body parts are also expected to wash up on US shores, the Daily News reported.

The two researches said beachcombers who find any debris with identifying marks - such as Japanese writing - should contact authorities so it can be returned.

Families lost everything when their homes were washed away by the giant wall of water, Mr Ebbesmeyer said. Anything they can reclaim from the sea could help them recover from the disaster.

Why don't they mention nuclear contamination or radiation?

Archived