Robert vocals on Wanton Song

McSeven

Plant's vocals on Physical Grafitti are buried in the mix in general. This was done on purpose by Jimmy to mask the hoarseness of Robert's voice due to his recent vocal troubles/surgery.

Never thought of that. It 's quite possible, with the material on PG leftover from earlier sessions and a few others like Kashmir, TYG.

Plant's vocals on Physical Grafitti are buried in the mix in general. This was done on purpose by Jimmy to mask the hoarseness of Robert's voice due to his recent vocal troubles/surgery.

This is true and for several years afterwards I heard Robert wanted to either have his vocals mixed back up in the mix or actually go back in and redo them.

I don't understand why Robert's vocals on Wanton Song are very hard to hear. PG's Wanton Song is similar to Immigrant Song on Zep 3.

Does anyone know the reason why?

Not sure, I have heard various reasons, great song none the less. Cannot see the connection with Immigrant Song though.

Not sure, I have heard various reasons, great song none the less. Cannot see the connection with Immigrant Song though.

My thing is this. Robert's vocals on Immigrant song sound way more up front to my ears than they do on Wanton song. He just sounds clearer on IS. I will listen again.

My thing is this. Robert's vocals on Immigrant song sound way more up front to my ears than they do on Wanton song. He just sounds clearer on IS. I will listen again.

If you've ever heard the outtake version of Wanton Song, they're much more upfront than the final album version.

The vocals start distant, but they become more upfront. It's a bit different then the studio. Like this version. It's quite raw.

It was broadcast on WLIR 92.7 in the early 80's before they went to a New Wave format.

Anyone know more about this version?

If you've ever heard the outtake version of Wanton Song, they're much more upfront than the final album version.

The vocals start distant, but they become more upfront. It's a bit different then the studio. Like this version. It's quite raw.

It was broadcast on WLIR 92.7 in the early 80's before they went to a New Wave format.

Anyone know more about this version?

I remember there was a thread about this on here a long time ago- and IIRC Eddie Kramer had stopped by the WLIR studios & shared this outtake (but I think that was in the late 70s not early 80s )..

Archived