What If.... How the West was Won, released in 1972

duckman

Now imagine this, It is October 1972 and The Atlantic executives are getting more and more nervous. Even more so after the delay in releasing Houses of the Holy, due to artwork issues.

Zep's U.S 1972 jaunt had been a success, even if the tour was overshadowed by the Stones. We, at the board have the task to fill the gap between IV and the new album (which won't be releasd until Spring 1973)

Zeppelin is in Japan for the second time and since Jimmy vetoed the release of the Japan 1971 live shows, but the two Summer California shows (Berdu was also taped, but was not not up to standards) , engineered by Eddie Kramer have been reviewed and deemed worthy for imminent release.

No double live album extravaganza yet…Made in Japan or Yessongs haven not been released, but Live at the Apollo, Get yer Ya Ya's Out and Live at Leeds were immediate hits. So Goldberg suggests a single (budget) Live LP to promote the planned U.K Winter tour.

Jimmy and Peter reluctantly give a green light from the Tokyo Hilton and "Led Zeppelin Live at the Forum" will be released on November 15th 1972.

Now here's the Big What If… Question ?

What would be your set list and do you have a title/ cover photograph in mind ?

(I'm a fat, utterly conservative and the least creatively concious label boss and this is my set list,

sanctioned by Jim and the lads, BTW )

Side one

Immigrant Song

Heartbreaker

Black Dog

Since I've been loving you

Side two

Stairway to Heaven

Whole Lotta Love (edit version, no medley)

Communication Breakdown

They did a great version of Thank You at this show. I'd probably put that instead of CB.

Yep, you're spot on. That one -including the organ solo and the impromtu Louie Louie- would be a dream to close such an album.

Now for the album cover; I'm a big advocate of a rehap on the "Welcome back" U.S 1972 U.S. campaign poster (stark image of a small plane pulling a "Welcome back + four symbols banner".

And, why not...opening with Bring it on Home (direct into the heavy part) to replace the obvious Immigrant/Heartbreaker. Black Dog could be replaced by a couple of HOTH spoilers; Dancing days and the Ocean. Rock and roll is also quite strong.

I doubt Page would put in Thank You.

He never put the tune on TSRTS (due to limited film of the song) and album (I don't see the point in this)

A great version was performed on the last Garden '73 night, and to miss an oppertunity to put the song on the album in perfect quality!

Berdu was taped?

I'm only dreaming ;)

(probably they did San Diego, or maybe Berkley...who knows? just puzzling how long long they rented Wally Heider's Mobile unit in 1972... Isn't four or five days the usual contract ?)

• 4 weeks later...

Another what if question. What if the internet existed during the days of Led Zeppelin's touring? You had to get all of your info on your local radio stations and in papers then. I had to get lucky to hear the guy offer Led Zeppelin tickets for Elvis tickets. Had I not been listening to my radio that day, I never would have been lucky enough to get tickets. Though I can imagine myself making the drive and trying to pay a big scalp price if that is what it took. Being in a city that was not big enough to hold them once they were really big, I knew I would have to travel. Buffalo was eventually added but the untimely death of Roberts son ended that. They did play here in 1969, after II was out. Or maybe it was 1968? Have to check the timline. But I would have been only 11. In 77 I was 20 when I got to see them.

I believe it'd have to have been a triple album. You wouldn't want to make the grooves too narrow and compromise their sound.

No way three CDs would fit on three vinyl records, it would have to be a box set.

No way three CDs would fit on three vinyl records, it would have to be a box set.

A box set would be perfect. Can you imagine how much money they would make if they were to do that? No internet downloading, no way of copying(that I can think of) so if you wanted the album, you had to go to a record store and purchase it.

A box set would be perfect. Can you imagine how much money they would make if they were to do that? No internet downloading, no way of copying(that I can think of) so if you wanted the album, you had to go to a record store and purchase it.

I'm talking about the big "what if" of what if How the West Was Won had been released back in the 70s. If it came out on vinyl today, of course there would also be the option to buy it on compact disc. Even it were a vinyl release only people could still rip the tracks to mp3's using a USB turntable.

I'm talking about the big "what if" of what if How the West Was Won had been released back in the 70s. If it came out on vinyl today, of course there would also be the option to buy it on compact disc. Even it were a vinyl release only people could still rip the tracks to mp3's using a USB turntable.

I know. That's what I meant. There wan't the internet back in the '70's so no file sharing, no burning cd's to make copies. You went to a record store and bought vinyl. You could borrow it from a friend but if you wanted one for yourself, you actually had to plunk money down at the register.

I know. That's what I meant. There wan't the internet back in the '70's so no file sharing, no burning cd's to make copies. You went to a record store and bought vinyl. You could borrow it from a friend but if you wanted one for yourself, you actually had to plunk money down at the register.

Understood. Someone still could have recorded it to cassette or 8-track though. Back then, that sort of thing wasn't really that frowned upon despite the warnings on the back of blank tapes. Not to mention neither would have sounded as good as if it were on vinyl.

Understood. Someone still could have recorded it to cassette or 8-track though. Back then, that sort of thing wasn't really that frowned upon despite the warnings on the back of blank tapes. Not to mention neither would have sounded as good as if it were on vinyl.

Exactly. Any self respecting fan would get the actual album.

A nice fantasy, but there's NO WAY they would've released the entire show back then...and it's not just a question of the length of the concert necessitating a costly and hefty vinyl box set. Hell, they could've released the entire concert on a tidy 3 cd set back in 2003 and they didn't.

Like you said, Houses of the Holy hadn't been released yet, and with OTHAFA, Dancing Days and The Ocean all being on the set list(not to mention The Crunge interlude in Dazed & Confused), Atlantic would have been apoplectic about releasing those songs on a live album before Houses of the Holy came

out, for fear that it would cut into sales of Houses of the Holy.

So, right off the bat, any so-called Live at the Forum release would not have any of the new HotH songs. And Dazed & Confused and Whole Lotta Love, if they made the cut, would definitely have been edited.

The most likely scenario would have been a single album release, with one side featuring heavy rockers and one side, the softer, acoustic numbers.

So, something like this:

Side 1.

1. Immigrant Song

2. Heartbreaker

3. Since I've Been Loving You

4. Communication Breakdown

Side 2.

1. That's the Way

2. Going to California

3. Bron-Y-Aur Stomp

4. Thank You(minus the Louie Louie/organ intro)

One thing this lineup does is highlight the LZ III numbers, which I'm sure the band felt wasn't given a fair shake by the public. Given how most LZ tracks like Immigrant Song and SIBLY were even better in concert, having these explosive versions on the live album would have the added benefit of spurring some fans to revisit LZ III...and inspiring the others who hadn't bought it yet, to now do so.

If you're asking why no Black Dog, I think Plant's lyric flub nixes that...and both R n R and Stairway sound rough in spots; you can see Jimmy is still working out how to resolve second half of the Stairway solo.

Anyway, there's no time machine so it's all moot. But the above list is my considered opinion on what a hypothetical 1972 Live at the LA Forum album release would have looked like.

A nice fantasy, but there's NO WAY they would've released the entire show back then...and it's not just a question of the length of the concert necessitating a costly and hefty vinyl box set. Hell, they could've released the entire concert on a tidy 3 cd set back in 2003 and they didn't.

I wasn't referring to the Forum shows specifically, I was referring to PerpetualMotion's post in which he said How The West Was Won would have been a triple album if released on vinyl.

I wasn't referring to the Forum shows specifically, I was referring to PerpetualMotion's post in which he said How The West Was Won would have been a triple album if released on vinyl.

I know. My post also was more in response to duckman's original hypothetical question and perpetualmotions post. :)

Now imagine this, It is October 1972 and The Atlantic executives are getting more and more nervous. Even more so after the delay in releasing Houses of the Holy, due to artwork issues.

Zep's U.S 1972 jaunt had been a success, even if the tour was overshadowed by the Stones. We, at the board have the task to fill the gap between IV and the new album (which won't be releasd until Spring 1973)

Zeppelin is in Japan for the second time and since Jimmy vetoed the release of the Japan 1971 live shows, but the two Summer California shows (Berdu was also taped, but was not not up to standards) , engineered by Eddie Kramer have been reviewed and deemed worthy for imminent release.

No double live album extravaganza yet…Made in Japan or Yessongs haven not been released, but Live at the Apollo, Get yer Ya Ya's Out and Live at Leeds were immediate hits. So Goldberg suggests a single (budget) Live LP to promote the planned U.K Winter tour.

Jimmy and Peter reluctantly give a green light from the Tokyo Hilton and "Led Zeppelin Live at the Forum" will be released on November 15th 1972.

Now here's the Big What If… Question ?

What would be your set list and do you have a title/ cover photograph in mind ?

(I'm a fat, utterly conservative and the least creatively concious label boss and this is my set list,

sanctioned by Jim and the lads, BTW )

Side one

Immigrant Song

Heartbreaker

Black Dog

Since I've been loving you

Side two

Stairway to Heaven

Whole Lotta Love (edit version, no medley)

Communication Breakdown

Good post. It would have made perfect sense to release a live album after IV. Wasn't that the plan they had for taping the Japan 71 shows? That would have made the KILLER live album. Can't argue with that set list either, would have put the Leeds and Ya Ya's fans of the time on notice as to great live R n R.

Good post. It would have made perfect sense to release a live album after IV. Wasn't that the plan they had for taping the Japan 71 shows? That would have made the KILLER live album. Can't argue with that set list either, would have put the Leeds and Ya Ya's fans of the time on notice as to great live R n R.

Thanks. When I was a kid in 1974 I always wondered -why on earth- every band had a live album in the catalog? except Zep.

When I recently indulged in the massive 40th anniversary Who boxed set of Live at Leeds, I re-discovered the classic and highly potent 6 tracks only LP versus 4 lengthy compact discs (covering 95% of the actual Leeds and Hull shows).

Somehow the art of producing a succesful live album in the seventies was a different story and seemingly the complete opposit of what we collectors expect since the nineties. Somehow the "less is more" formula of an album such as Pb Mudslide still fascinates me . ( and that's why I started the post) :rolleyes:

Regarding the follow up of LZ IV, I think it was Warner Pioneer Japan who was insisting the Japan 1971 shows were taped professionaly . Reading the negative comments by Percy on the recording quality 'the balance was just as bad as a bootleg', I seriously doubt the band was keen to get a 'Made in Japan' out before Purple did.

Far easier to get a ticket now days. If the internet had existed during Led zeppelin's tour days, just imagine the demand. The lines and ticket sales were crazy then anyways. But if the internet existed, who knows how many shows they would have had to put on to satisfy the public and their fans. I was just plain lucky to get a ticket being in a market far from where they were scheduled. An angel fell from heaven and he landed in a yellow sixties corvette with tickets to Madison Sqaure garden and Landover. The radio was the biggest form of getting your musical info on concerts. For big bands of the day, really the only one I can think of. In 1977 they had sold out the garden for 7 or 8 nights in less than two hours I believe is what I have heard. I am sure the internet would have crashed if they were available only from one source. Back then a guy named John Sher was one of the big promoters in the northeaster USA. Summerfest at Rich Stadium had alot of big acts, usuallly combining two or three big acts. I remember Elton John played there on his own but most of the other summerfest events were multi group performances. Led Zeppelin's only scheduled date at rich stadium canceled days before die to the tragic death of Robert's son. Everyone I knew had tickets for that show. Luckily, I had seen them two months earlyer in Landover.

Archived