LED ZEP - an open letter - I am BEGGING you to TOUR IN '08 !

Motown

Okay, so I already know the likelihood of ANY Led Zep members actually reading this are very slim to very none, but what do I have to lose by trying?

In 1980, Led Zep was slated to play here in Detroit at a brand new Joe Louis Arena on October 30/31. I was going into junior high school at the time, and Led Zep was already my favorite band - by far. Although I was/am a keyboard player, Jimmy Page was my idol, and I still to this day cannot believe the emotions he emits on that guitar. Robert Plant epitomized everything about the 70's - an era in which I was born slightly too late to fully enjoy and appreciate. John Paul Jones has always been an influence for me on the keyboards, and remains to this day the most underrated bass player there has ever been. His songwriting skills are magical, to boot. And needless to say, John Bonham was the best rock drummer of all-time - and if he were still here today, would still put just about every drummer out there to shame.

I never got to see that show. I was so excited getting tickets to see my favorite band, and did my best to keep the secret from my mom. My birthday came and went on September 17, and all I could think about was the concert I would get to see just over a month from that day. Then, a week after my birthday, John Bonham tragically passed away. I was stunned, and couldn't believe the news. Suddenly, nothing else mattered. Although part of me was selfish and still wanted them to carry on for my own benefit, I was neither surprised or angered by the announcement that they would disband. It was the right thing to do.

And so it went. Oh sure, there were a few surprises after the fire had burned out. I sat with goosebumps in front of the TV watching Live Aid, and even though the performance was severely flawed (thanks in many ways to the senseless addition of Phil Collins on drums), I was convinced that was as close as I would ever get to seeing Led Zeppelin. As the 80's pressed on, I bought any Robert Plant solo albums that came about, as well as The Firm - looking for ANY sembelence of Zep in any of the songs. There were moments, but it just wasn't the same.

Anyway, I could go on and on, but the point to all this rambling is simple: LED ZEPPELIN has just proven that, after twenty eight years, they are STILL the greatest rock band of all-time. So now we come to the shameless begging:

ROBERT PLANT, I love you. WE love you. And while your solo material is good, your place - the place you made your own - is the singer of LED ZEPPELIN. And you have just proven beyond the shadow of a doubt - to the entire planet - that the song, does indeed, remain the same.

PLEASE, Robert. PLEASE. If 20 million people vying for 18,000 tickets doesn't change your priorities, then I suppose nothing ever will. But I write this not just for myself, but for the millions upon millions that would still love a chance to see a Led Zeppelin concert. The money taken in by such a tour would be downright staggering, and if you're not interested in keeping that money, then just think how many charities (Ahmet Ertegun, etc.) that you could help by donating proceeds. I have seen preliminary estimations of a nightly performance by Led Zep grossing 2-3 million dollars. I guarantee that here in Detroit - and likely most major cities here in the US - that you would be playing a minimum of 3 shows just to satisfy the throngs of Zep fans within the state.

I have already accepted the fact that I'll never get to meet any of you, and although that has always been my #1 dream, I can't think of anything next in line to that which would be better than seeing a live LED ZEPPELIN concert - and it would have extra meaning taking place in 2008, 40 years after the inception of the band.

If a tour doesn't happen, it will be a crying shame. But if that's the way it's really meant to be, then I enjoyed the ride of last night's show in London. I wasn't there, haven't seen any live clips yet, but I felt a wave of emotion that NO OTHER BAND ON THE PLANET can evoke. I had goosebumps just watching the coverage on local news, and I felt like laughing and crying all at once. Do you have any idea how many others you make feel that exact same way? I suppose anyone can say they're a fan of something, but until that something makes you feel the way I feel and have felt about LED ZEPPELIN, it pales in comparison. And my story here is just one person's. I imagine there are millions upon millions that have a similar story, and they deserve to witness your show just as well.

Thank-you, Robert. Thank-you, Jimmy. Thank-you, John Paul. And thank-you, Jason.

If that's as close as we ever get, it was very much worth it.

But I can only hope that was the beginning, rather than the end!

- JP

Detroit, MI, USA

Nice topic and very sweet letter I hope they do actually log on and read it for you :D

I think anyone would be insane to say they wouldnt go see them live again or that they are not secretly hopng for another US or international tour!1 I know I am for sure!!

I wasn't lucky enough to see them at the O2 arena. I wasn't even lucky enough to see them while Bonham was still alive. But I haven't decided if it would be a good thing for them to tour. I mean, they couldn't just tour America, or Europe, or both, it would have to be a world tour. There are so many fans worldwide to please, as you can fathom from this message board. And they're not as young as they were when they did that kind of thing on a yearly basis. I can't speak from experience but only what I've heard, but I can only imagine what kind of drain such a thing puts on the human body...

Would it be fair to us for Led Zeppelin to tour again? It would be mighty awesome to see them live, yes... But would it be fair to them? I don't know...

Okay, so I already know the likelihood of ANY Led Zep members actually reading this are very slim to very none, but what do I have to lose by trying?

In 1980, Led Zep was slated to play here in Detroit at a brand new Joe Louis Arena on October 30/31. I was going into junior high school at the time, and Led Zep was already my favorite band - by far. Although I was/am a keyboard player, Jimmy Page was my idol, and I still to this day cannot believe the emotions he emits on that guitar. Robert Plant epitomized everything about the 70's - an era in which I was born slightly too late to fully enjoy and appreciate. John Paul Jones has always been an influence for me on the keyboards, and remains to this day the most underrated bass player there has ever been. His songwriting skills are magical, to boot. And needless to say, John Bonham was the best rock drummer of all-time - and if he were still here today, would still put just about every drummer out there to shame.

I never got to see that show. I was so excited getting tickets to see my favorite band, and did my best to keep the secret from my mom. My birthday came and went on September 17, and all I could think about was the concert I would get to see just over a month from that day. Then, a week after my birthday, John Bonham tragically passed away. I was stunned, and couldn't believe the news. Suddenly, nothing else mattered. Although part of me was selfish and still wanted them to carry on for my own benefit, I was neither surprised or angered by the announcement that they would disband. It was the right thing to do.

And so it went. Oh sure, there were a few surprises after the fire had burned out. I sat with goosebumps in front of the TV watching Live Aid, and even though the performance was severely flawed (thanks in many ways to the senseless addition of Phil Collins on drums), I was convinced that was as close as I would ever get to seeing Led Zeppelin. As the 80's pressed on, I bought any Robert Plant solo albums that came about, as well as The Firm - looking for ANY sembelence of Zep in any of the songs. There were moments, but it just wasn't the same.

Anyway, I could go on and on, but the point to all this rambling is simple: LED ZEPPELIN has just proven that, after twenty eight years, they are STILL the greatest rock band of all-time. So now we come to the shameless begging:

ROBERT PLANT, I love you. WE love you. And while your solo material is good, your place - the place you made your own - is the singer of LED ZEPPELIN. And you have just proven beyond the shadow of a doubt - to the entire planet - that the song, does indeed, remain the same.

PLEASE, Robert. PLEASE. If 20 million people vying for 18,000 tickets doesn't change your priorities, then I suppose nothing ever will. But I write this not just for myself, but for the millions upon millions that would still love a chance to see a Led Zeppelin concert. The money taken in by such a tour would be downright staggering, and if you're not interested in keeping that money, then just think how many charities (Ahmet Ertegun, etc.) that you could help by donating proceeds. I have seen preliminary estimations of a nightly performance by Led Zep grossing 2-3 million dollars. I guarantee that here in Detroit - and likely most major cities here in the US - that you would be playing a minimum of 3 shows just to satisfy the throngs of Zep fans within the state.

I have already accepted the fact that I'll never get to meet any of you, and although that has always been my #1 dream, I can't think of anything next in line to that which would be better than seeing a live LED ZEPPELIN concert - and it would have extra meaning taking place in 2008, 40 years after the inception of the band.

If a tour doesn't happen, it will be a crying shame. But if that's the way it's really meant to be, then I enjoyed the ride of last night's show in London. I wasn't there, haven't seen any live clips yet, but I felt a wave of emotion that NO OTHER BAND ON THE PLANET can evoke. I had goosebumps just watching the coverage on local news, and I felt like laughing and crying all at once. Do you have any idea how many others you make feel that exact same way? I suppose anyone can say they're a fan of something, but until that something makes you feel the way I feel and have felt about LED ZEPPELIN, it pales in comparison. And my story here is just one person's. I imagine there are millions upon millions that have a similar story, and they deserve to witness your show just as well.

Thank-you, Robert. Thank-you, Jimmy. Thank-you, John Paul. And thank-you, Jason.

- JP

Detroit, MI, USA

"If" you tour are you "Goin to California? B)

- JP

Detroit, MI, USA

co-signed B)

I too missed out on the chance to see Zeppelin in 80'; I forget the exact dates/venue/circumstances, but the L.A. tour stop and ticket sale had been announced and I had surprisingly received permission from my mom to go to what would have been my very-first rock concert(only because 3 older cousins all Zep fanatics, had said they would take me) . . . Bonzo died I believe 2 days before tix were to go on sale, needless to say I was devastated(I had to wait 2 years before I went to my 1st concert, it was the L.A. stop on the Who's "Farewell" <_< Tour in 82' at the Coliseum; GREAT show w/ the Clash opening) . . .

"Thank-you, Robert. Thank-you, Jimmy. Thank-you, John Paul. And thank-you, Jason. If that's as close as we ever get, it was very much worth it.

But I can only hope that was the beginning, rather than the end!"

here here,that sums it up perfectly for everyone!

please come back to us!

I wish that some amount of begging will do the trick, but I'm pretty sure it won't.

Perhaps if members of the group begged other members.

But Led Zeppelin already knows that its fans are dying for more shows. It all comes down to whether all of them as individuals want to do it.

They already know that they've impacted lives upon lives and that all of their true fans would do just about anything to see them again.

It's not that they don't have any support within other people, it's that they may not have support within themselves.

It's funny, really, to get a person to realize something you want them to. It's hard to do.

At some point, if not already, the moment of epiphany will occur in each of the members, sounding like "let's do this". We can only hope that this point happens at the same time for all of them.

- JP

Detroit, MI, USA

Very nice my friend. make this a petition and have people sign it. if everybody on this forum signs it, as well as all the fans in the world. they might tour.

I never did get a chance to see The Mighty Zepplin live in concert but I am still hopefull that these wonderful human beings will put aside what ever concerns they have and just play like the old days and enjoy the fans as much as the fans enjoy Led Zepplin !!!

There is so much love for this band around the world it is truly staggering, I just can't see how they can't feel the vibes after last night, I know they have to feel it because they are responsible for it.

Maybe someone in every town should start a " Zepplin Must Tour " rally or an online petition or something so we can show Jimmy, John, Jason & Robert how much we the people want a chance to see them live one last time !!!

RjK

I got goosebumps when I saw the clip on youtube, this is the only band I would love to see. These wonderful musicians are not the same on their own, I have seen Jason Bonham band in a pub...for free....this is a cash cow waiting to be milked. I am willing to give you all my cash, all you have to do is keep releasing dvd's, cd's, and tour. Led Zeppelin is a legend, and if there is a petition to the band, please someone let me know so I can sign it. I think the only reason people go see their individual acts is because they have some hope they'll play a zep song, Led Zeppelin are the pioneers of heavy metal, period.

They should definatly go on tour, there is no doubt. They need to think about their new fans. I myself am 17 years old and am a huge fan, also tons of kids in my high school are Zep fans cuz i see them walking around school with their Stairway to Heaven Shirts on and their dads old concert t shirts. My generation has never had the chance to see them in concert and i think that it would be incredible if they would tour. It almost wouldnt be fair to their younger fans if they didnt tour.

JimmyPageZoso - If you know how to re-create my letter in petition form, I'm all for it.

That's an excellent idea! (but my limited computer skills have me asking, "how?")

THANK-YOU to all of you. I appreciate your reading my lengthy blabbering, and I have no doubt that you all love this band as much as I do.

20 MILLION STRONG, indeed!

Thanks again, everyone. PRAY that the "Mothership" visits your/mine areas soon!

- JP

Detroit, MI USA

I spent 2 days trying to register for tickets for the O2 gig, 2 days sat there refreshing my screen until eventually it didn't crash and my details were registered. I had everyone I know sat by a computer registering (I don't know or care much whether that is "cheating") did I manage to get a ticket? Did I f*ck as like (what's the score with swearing here).

I was absolutely irate when I read through the papers the day after the gig and seen pictures of the scores of "celebrities" quaffing their free champagne back stage. I wonder, did Kate Moss and the like also not get any work done for 2 days in the effort of acquiring a pair of tickets to a gig I've been waiting the past 20 years for? Highly unlikely.

Unfortunately, and as much as I adore and worship the band, I don't think they really care that much for their real fans. It saddens me to say it but it's obvious. If they did, the tour would be confirmed already, it's hardly a secret they love the mystery that surrounds them, all the "will they - won't they" talk just feeds that fire.

I for one am massively disappointed in them.

Archived