Contrasting the new and the old

TypeO

I think a lot of new music still pays homage to / is influenced by the old stuff.

These guys are pretty cool, and when I first heard this, I immediately thought of Jeff Beck.

(And please, I'm not comparing guitar work here, just the sound and feel of the song.)

Ratatat, Loud Pipes, from Classics

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dw5eYTxZvyE

Jeff Beck, Come Dancing from Wired

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oESOheeMZpM

What do you think?

Any examples of your own?

I think a lot of new music still pays homage to / is influenced by the old stuff.

These guys are pretty cool, and when I first heard this, I immediately thought of Jeff Beck.

(And please, I'm not comparing guitar work here, just the sound and feel of the song.)

What do you think?

Sounds more like they're paying homage to computers.

Ratatat, Loud Pipes, from Classics

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dw5eYTxZvyE

Jeff Beck, Come Dancing from Wired

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oESOheeMZpM

What do you think?

Maybe he rhythm sounds similar but otherwise I cant hear anything else.................Old is best...for me anyway.

What about this one of the album version?

Nice.

Almost a modernized version of the same song.

They both have that travelling/cruising feel.

Monster Magnet - Look to Your Orb for the Warning (1995)

Hawkwind - Children of the Sun (1971)

Great example.

I've always thought Monster Magnet had a heavy 70s vibe.

Motorpsycho - Knuckleheads in Space (2010)

Deep Purple - Fireball (1971)

Awesome.

As soon as the Motorpsycho song started I could hear the Deep Purple vibe.

Sounds more like they're paying homage to computers.

Gee, what a surprising response from you.

You must have spent your entire childhood peering through the gap between 2 boards in a wooden fence.

You're a musical Luddite.

head_up_ass.jpg

Old is best...for me anyway.

So no patience for all this new-fangled noise these young whippersnappers call music nowadays, eh?

That's cool, it's not for everyone.

What do you think?

Gee, what a surprising response from you.You must have spent your entire childhood peering through the gap between 2 boards in a wooden fence.You're a musical Luddite.

Advice for the unwise: don't ask what someone thinks and then argue with their answer. They just might be telling you the truth.

Advice for the unwise: don't ask what someone thinks and then argue with their answer. They just might be telling you the truth.

I wasn't arguing.

Just stating the facts, ma'am.

I guess I suffer from Positive Projection, where I expect most people behave in basically the same fairly rational and social manner that I do.

To wit, as I peruse these forums and happen across a particular thread topic that I don't care for, I simply move on.

I don't take the time to actually respond in order to proclaim to all how little I care for that particular band or song or album or event.

And this is doubly true in the case where I had already made my thoughts and opinions known on that particular area of discussion. *

Whereas you plod through these forums seemingly in search of conflict and any possibility to once more bellow (figuratively, that is) your narrow-minded and simplistic view, said view being basically if it isn't the Stones or Zeppelin, or is less than 20 years old, or has the slightest relationship to rap, it blows.

We get it.

Many times over, we get it.

Here's an idea!

When you have the urge to - once more - hammer home your opinion on new music, why not just post this image

broken-record-150x150.jpg

and everyone will already know what you're going to say.

It'll be a super time-saver for you and everyone else.

Because frankly, that's already the case for me every time I see this image

av-13418.jpg

/just sayin'

* This does not apply to political topics / discussions. lulz

head_up_ass.jpg

I guess I suffer from Positive Projection, where I expect most people behave in basically the same fairly rational and social manner that I do.

So the above picture is that of a basically fair rational social type?

And picture below is from someone with an anti social personality disorder?

av-13418.jpg

So the above picture is that of a basically fair rational social type?

And picture below is from someone with an anti social personality disorder?

av-13418.jpg

facepalm.gif

So you cherry-pick my comments and stitch them together to try and make a point?

Not to mention a flawed/manufactured point, at that.

But then, it requires a degree of cognitive finesse to detect and properly interpret sarcasm to begin with.

Your ignorance of that sarcasm indicates either a- you lack said finesse or b- you assume your disingenuous response will deflect others from interpreting that sarcasm.

And this from someone who accuses others of not being able to comprehend what they read...

Your signature line - "I'm inclined to agree with the trolls" - becomes more and more revealing with each post you make and each thread you derail.

Nice.

Almost a modernized version of the same song.

They both have that travelling/cruising feel.

Its called Motorik, a beat devolped by Krautrock supposidly imspired by driving on Germany's autobahn.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorik

Old The Byrds - Turn Turn Turn

Newish The Stone Roses - Waterfall

A classic case of having a clear influence but also bringing someone new for me.

Its called Motorik, a beat devolped by Krautrock supposidly imspired by driving on Germany's autobahn.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorik

That's awesome, because that's the exact feel you get from that.

It would be great road-trip music.

Old The Byrds - Turn Turn Turn

Newish The Stone Roses - Waterfall

A classic case of having a clear influence but also bringing someone new for me.

Wow, that's really smooth.

It's pretty awesome that they are able to so accurately capture the texture of the earlier song yet still make such an original track.

I had a Stone Roses CD single back in the 90s of the full version of Fool's Gold - one of my favorite songs after that.

They were giving it away at a live-band venue I used to frequent called The Dynasty.

Of course, due to the likelihood of over-indulgence that inevitably occurred on most nights there - penny-drink specials and live hard rock are a volatile combination - it became known as "The Die-Nasty". lulz.

Some good examples here, it's a good, interesting thread.

Blood Ceremony

http://www.eyeweekly.com/interview/article/48668

bandpic.jpg

WHO ARE THEY?

Blood Ceremony are a local quartet who have channelled their love of ’70s horror films and bluesy proto-metal into a flute-fronted, occult-themed brand of rock. After playing in a drone-metal band that never made it out of the practice pad, guitarist Sean Kennedy, bassist Chris Landon and drummer Jeremy Finkelstein added a female singer and headed down the path towards occult metal. But it wasn’t until occasional flautist Alia O’Brien took over on vocals that their sound solidified into the mystical riff-o-rama that’s been drawing an expansive congregation of supporters both at home and abroad.

HOLD ON — HEAVY RIFFS AND FLUTES? WOULDN’T THAT SOUND JUST LIKE...

Jethro Tull. Yes, Blood Ceremony are aware of the similarity. Actually, the ’70s prog-folk progenitors are something of a common denominator for the band. According to Kennedy, O’Brien grew up on her dad’s Tull records; a fitting inspiration considering she began playing flute at an early age. Even though she’s currently doing her master’s in ethnomusicology, she hasn’t forgotten her roots. “I think she idolizes [Tull’s flute-wielding frontman] Ian Anderson,” Kennedy adds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyuR3une3L0

facepalm.gif

So you cherry-pick my comments and stitch them together to try and make a point?

Not to mention a flawed/manufactured point, at that.

But then, it requires a degree of cognitive finesse to detect and properly interpret sarcasm to begin with.

Your ignorance of that sarcasm indicates either a- you lack said finesse or b- you assume your disingenuous response will deflect others from interpreting that sarcasm.

And this from someone who accuses others of not being able to comprehend what they read...

Your signature line - "I'm inclined to agree with the trolls" - becomes more and more revealing with each post you make and each thread you derail.

head_up_ass.jpg

"A flawed/manufactured point at that"? You shot yourself in the foot with this picture.

"A flawed/manufactured point at that"? You shot yourself in the foot with this picture.

Give it a rest.

You extrapolated my comments in order to create an idiotic point.

I'm not going to re-quote my own comments to clarify what I said (and didn't say).

It's right there for anyone to read.

We've got a discussion that interests some of us here.

Go troll another thread.

Give it a rest.

You extrapolated my comments in order to create an idiotic point.

I'm not going to re-quote my own comments to clarify what I said (and didn't say).

It's right there for anyone to read.

We've got a discussion that interests some of us here.

Go troll another thread.

You use a lot of big words for someone who so easily resorts to name calling. Oh well, sticks and stones, tattoos and crossbones(a little biker humor).

Lighten up, sarcasm is a fun part of rock 'n' roll and that includes critiquing it. Referring to a piece of music with it's rhythm obviously done on a computer as "paying homage to computers" is far from crossing any lines of good fun conversation by anyone with a reasonably good sense of humor and self confidence to boot. I'm a big Jeff Beck fan and I think those other guys might make better music if they spent more time building hot rods and less time playing with their computers.

You use a lot of big words for someone who so easily resorts to name calling. Oh well, sticks and stones, tattoos and crossbones(a little biker humor).

Lighten up, sarcasm is a fun part of rock 'n' roll and that includes critiquing it. Referring to a piece of music with it's rhythm obviously done on a computer as "paying homage to computers" is far from crossing any lines of good fun conversation by anyone with a reasonably good sense of humor and self confidence to boot. I'm a big Jeff Beck fan and I think those other guys might make better music if they spent more time building hot rods and less time playing with their computers.

You know, if that was the only post from you like that, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

But it's a constant theme with you, and your first post in this thread was like a continuation of the bullshit from the locked thread, which was about as desirable as the proverbial turd in the punchbowl.

Sorry, no apologies for all that "big word" use-ification. For me, it's more fun than cursing.

As for the name-calling, it isn't all that often, and at least it's fairly clever.

The amusing thing is the total faith she seems to have in the artistic superiority in the rock of the late 60's and early 70's, don't get me wrong I enjoy it a great deal but its just as open to closed minded criticism as much of what she aims at. You'd think this thread would have pleased her aswell given that its based on music with clear influence from that era but seemingly not...

Old Nick Drake - Cello Song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1YsFgDaEeo

New Michal Head & The Strands - Queen Matilda

Archived