How strong is Zeppelin influence on young bands of today?

Athel

Led Zeppelin is mighty, godlike, and genius in my eyes but most people my age (20) don't seem to agree. But how many BANDS of today would agree? I asked my second favorite band Athel about their opinion and they seemed to be VERY into this topic and admitted to Zeppelin having a profound influence on them. I was shocked and excited to hear that! This quickly let my mind wander and I realized what a profound influence the mighty Zep has on todays rock scene. The bands these days that I think are most influenced by Zeppelin are as follows

1. Wolfmother (The sound)

2. Coheed and Cambria (The mystical aspect)

3. Athel (The guitar solo's)

4. The Black Keys (The raw live show)

5. Jet (The screeching vocals)

How do other people feel about this? I feel like there is a lack of support and acknowledgment for the large influence the Zep has on todays rockers. Please feel free to list your opinions whether good or bad.

• 3 weeks later...

Led Zeppelin is mighty, godlike, and genius in my eyes but most people my age (20) don't seem to agree. But how many BANDS of today would agree? I asked my second favorite band Athel about their opinion and they seemed to be VERY into this topic and admitted to Zeppelin having a profound influence on them. I was shocked and excited to hear that! This quickly let my mind wander and I realized what a profound influence the mighty Zep has on todays rock scene. The bands these days that I think are most influenced by Zeppelin are as follows

How do other people feel about this? I feel like there is a lack of support and acknowledgment for the large influence the Zep has on todays rockers. Please feel free to list your opinions whether good or bad.

You know what bro, since everyone on here is gonna be a dick to you for apparently having some sort of repost/something they dub not important that you want to talk about, I (a passing member, age 20, who originally signed up almost 5 years ago to the day) will have a simple conversation about the band I used to love. One not involving huge egos that need to one up eachother with tiny pieces of information to prove who is the biggest fan, or "connoisseur" attitude problems. Just normal every day human interaction.

I used to love led zeppelin. I wouldnt listen to anything else, and if I did, it wasnt written in my lifetime. My first post on the old forum was about hating modern music. Over the years Ive come to the opinion that zep killed almost everything that would have followed them. There will never be anything like them again because they were that good. I realize what a closed minded douche bag I actually was, and now I actually listen to mostly new music with what I consider the best of the old stuff mixed in. Lets face it, nazareth and fog hat made great music, but that doesnt mean that new stuff is bad either. Really I got tired of listening to more of the same, and have moved to liking Breaking Benjamin and Avenged Sevenfold, to name my two favorites. Believe it or not, guitar solos got boring because either they were poorly done, or were just rehashed blues scales. A 7 minute guitar solo can get quite boring, wheras a 7 minute song that doesnt even contain a solo, I find, can still be very pleasing. I think a lot of the people who followed Zep dirctly have progressively got stuck into patterns that get old, or gotten to be hipsters/eccentrics that just took it too far and cant let go or feel some kind of strange need to hold on to it and have an odd reactionary outlook that I will never understand. I think Zep today is more of a background influence to a lot of bands, and less of a direct influence. There really arent many bands that followed directly because there was an overall call for diversity/progression/increased technicality that drove the music to differentiate over the past 40 or so years (depending on how long you want to go back). Basically what Im trying to say is that I think it is going to be hard to find any direct influences. It would be much more common to see someone say that they wanted to be like Jimmy Page, rather than someone writing music that was similar. I do have a biased opinion though because Ive always been more partial to heavier music and simply loved Zep because they were a great fucking band.

If you got bored and skipped to here, then Ill just say that eventhough the influence isnt blatant, that doesnt mean its not there behind the music. And, even if the influence is gone, we still have the masterpieces that Zep themselves wrote. Eventually I think modern music is going to burn out and...you guessed it...either music will evolve, or it will revert. Doesnt matter so much to me, as I love it all. Dare I go as far as to say that the rock genre is pretty dead. Its either metal, alternative, grunge, or some other niche band. Its rare to hear anything termed as simply rock these days. Everyone has some kind of strange urge to be unique, and be their own precious little snowflake. Appreciate the past and respect the present. I used to hear my parents say stuff like, "we never really payed attention to that band back in the day. we dont know why. theyre pretty good in retrospect." I dont want that to be me haha. I also dont want to pass up whats good now to be a hardcore fanboy of the past. Its just plain insecure in my estimation. Nobody is saying that we cant listen to the old and the new.

Someone will probably tell me I'm wrong, but its the way of the world. Its just my opinion. At least I had to common decency to respond.

-Zep

I agree with a lot of what you said. I think there is some influence, perhaps towards some White Stripes tunes, (reworking of old blues numbers like Death Letter) but I imagine most of the influence was seen in the 80's with the big hair bands trying to emulate the look of Zep. Think, Led Zeppelin and Def Leppard, the name and spelling is similar. I'm also like you in that while Zep was the first band I started to really listen to I have moved on to other bands, (Radiohead, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, The White Stripes, The Black Keys, and a shit load more. I go through periods where I won't listen to Zep for weeks or months and then get heavily into them again. I think that the bands that I listen to now have expressed very little influence from Zep aside from a passing comment in interviews.

In my opinion, the most influencal band before Zeppelin is The Beatels, and why? cause of the time. the only advantage that the beatels had on the boys from Zep is that they were before them...

you can find zeppelin in every blues-rock, heavey-metal, hard-rock and fold rock band\song that exists.

I agree with a lot of what you said. I think there is some influence, perhaps towards some White Stripes tunes, (reworking of old blues numbers like Death Letter) but I imagine most of the influence was seen in the 80's with the big hair bands trying to emulate the look of Zep. Think, Led Zeppelin and Def Leppard, the name and spelling is similar. I'm also like you in that while Zep was the first band I started to really listen to I have moved on to other bands, (Radiohead, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, The White Stripes, The Black Keys, and a shit load more. I go through periods where I won't listen to Zep for weeks or months and then get heavily into them again. I think that the bands that I listen to now have expressed very little influence from Zep aside from a passing comment in interviews.

I think Zep is an influence to most bands in a sense that they are one of the first bands that people listen to, and then they start listening to all of the Zep music out there, then they explore similar artists/other famous artists of the time, and eventually they either end up with us listening to new stuff with the old stuff, or they lean toward one of the extremes. I think southern rock is totally dead, but you can still see it in bands like Shinedown, Saliva, Drowning Pool, even bands like 12 stones and the like. Its not blatant like the influence that Black Sabbath had to a lot of Metal bands, but its still there. I think bands like Zep are more of foundations for todays bands. Maybe influence is to specific. Still the cliche is true here that you cant build a good house without a solid foundation.

People have said that theres really only two kinds of bands out there, those that follow Zep, and those that follow Sabbath. Im not sure how that is true or not, but it makes sense in the context of having music that serves as a foundation rather than a direct influence. (I dont really like the rolling stones, and ive never been a good beatles fan so im not really fit to comment on their influence.)

-Zep

Good thread!

I'm 42 and I honestly feel Zeppelin's influence is still so huge over today's bands that it's almost not noticed, it's like the air we breathe. The bands you mentioned certainly and many others. The thing is, even if a band's music doesn't resemble Zeppelin's music, oftentimes the way they're recorded, the drum sounds they strive for, the multitracking of acoustic and electric guitars, owes a lot to Page and company whether they realize it or not. Not to mention guitarists like the guy from Creed who are always using alternate tunings, which is something Jimmy certainly brought to the fore.

I've encountered some young people who are products of the Youtube age and will greet any mention of Zeppelin with "ripoff" allegations and a link. That's a damn shame because they're really missing out on some of the most amazing music ever recorded!

If you want zep roots, you have to go to the blues artists like Joe Bonamassa. The mainstream stuff just is not cuttin' it. No one likes to write riffs in any of that, they like to strum drop D power chords as loud as they can. Fuck that Shit.

I think it's kind of hard not to get influenced by Led Zep. After all they made the greatest rock music ever. It's the kind of music one grows up with and loves 'till the end of his days. No matter what you play, from the simplest folk songs to the heaviest metals, if you made a bond with Zep it will always occupy a small part of your heart and influence your music to the very end.

Archived