First Ever Gig as LZ - Surrey University

Luftschiff

I have been captured by this unique event as it happened at my old university just before I started my studies there. Hence I started researching this on a private basis (no commercial interests whatsoever!!) and found many incorrect and confusing data linked with this historic concert. There is a lot of only circumstantial evidence pointing at this evening but very few hard facts.

The date, venue and even the very existance of this very first ever gig as the newly formed Led Zeppelin has been disputed in many books on the history of this extra ordinary band. There are some experts who interpret the first ever gig as LZ was already in Denmark once the band formation was set.

With this posting I am hoping that someone will be able to add hard facts, copies of documents, a newspaper cutting, even a photo or perhaps a film clip proving exactly when and where this did actually take place.

The bare facts so far:

1. The band members were already performing together as The "new" Yardbirds before this unique performance

2. Sometime during the middle of October 1968 (possibly on the 19th - announced in a musical magazine) the band was renamed Led Zeppelin

3. The very first perfomance as Led Zeppelin was on the 25th October 1968 at Surrey University (a poster shows this - although still announced at The new Yardbirds featuring Jimmy Plant)

4. The concert took place at the old main building of Surrey University that was still in Battersea in London (various eyewitness reports). Although the university was, at that time, in the throngs of moving to a new site in Guildford, there were no buildings/rooms available at the new site where such entertainment was possible.

Who can confirm any one of these facts?

Who can add more facts?

Who has a photo of the event?

Who can provide some film footage of that evening's event?

I am looking forward to your input.

This gig was reported in the press and is commonly cited as their first as "Led Zeppelin". Even so the promotional poster says New Yardbirds featuring Jimmy Page (not Jimmy Plant as you posted). It would take some time before promoters would consistently bill them as Led Zeppelin.

Personally, I think the historical importance of this gig has been overstated, particularly as it wasn't even the first UK date performed by Page, Jones, Plant, & Bonham - they'd performed in Newcastle on Oct 4th and in London on Oct 18th - let alone their first ever gig.

On December 20, 2003 Jimmy and his wife attended ABC Trust's Riffathon auction (a fundraising event for the charity sponsored by 'Guitarist' magazine) in the very same venue, Surrey University's Great Hall on Battersea Park Road. A plaque was also unveiled to commemorate Led Zeppelin's performance in 1968. Photo below:

page-surrey-plaque-end-2003.jpg

On June 20, 2008 the University of Surrey conferred the honorary degree of Doctor of the University to Jimmy Page for services to the music industry. The presentation ceremony was held at Guildford Cathedral. Jimmy generously signed a guitar to be given away in a competition at the upcoming GuilFest festival.

PageGuildfordCathedral.jpg

More photos of this event here: http://educationphotos.photoshelter.com/gallery/Tertiary-Graduation-Jimmy-Page/G0000VJDV58LbzO0/

No dispute show happened - Jimmy still recalls it - and it's already included in official timeline: http://ledzeppelin.c...october-25-1968

However, to date no photos, audio recordings or film from this performance is in circulation or known to exist.

On December 20, 2003 Jimmy and his wife attended ABC Trust's Riffathon auction (a fundraising event for the charity sponsored by 'Guitarist' magazine) in the very same venue, Surrey University's Great Hall on Battersea Park Road. A plaque was also unveiled to commemorate Led Zeppelin's performance in 1968. Photo below:

Steve, the 2003 event was not held in the same venue. The 2003 event was held in Guildford (there's also a "Great Hall" venue on the campus in Guildford); the 1968 show was held at the University of Surrey in Battersea, London. The University of Surrey's Great Hall was on Battersea Park Road in Battersea, London (ironically enough, right across the street is the Battersea Power Station used on the cover of Pink Floyd's Animals).

While the historical significance of the event is subjective, the bottom line is that the October 25, 1968 University of Surrey gig was the first one the band ever performed as "Led Zeppelin." For that alone it is noteworthy, if not historical. BTW, the plaque unveiled in 2003 had the wrong date on it (October 15, 1968).

Steve, the 2003 event was not held in the same venue. The 2003 event was held in Guildford (there's also a "Great Hall" venue on the campus in Guildford); the 1968 show was held at the University of Surrey in Battersea, London. The University of Surrey's Great Hall was on Battersea Park Road in Battersea, London (ironically enough, right across the street is the Battersea Power Station used on the cover of Pink Floyd's Animals).

While the historical significance of the event is subjective, the bottom line is that the October 25, 1968 University of Surrey gig was the first one the band ever performed as "Led Zeppelin." For that alone it is noteworthy, if not historical. BTW, the plaque unveiled in 2003 had the wrong date on it (October 15, 1968).

Thanks for the clarification on the 2003 event; I've made the correction in my database...and you are right, the date is wrong on that plaque!

Sorry about the slip with the name!!

The commemorative plaque was unvieled in Guildford (in 2003 the Battersea site was no longer any part of the university) and it apparently did have the wrong date on it. Also it disappeared soon after the unveiling. I wonder where it got to?

Otherwise it would still be interesting to find some document of the time (cuttings, photo, film material etc.) that would shed light on the event. I have been told by an eyewitness that LZ was put on a make-shift stage, rather like a boxing-ring, which was put on the middle of the large hall. The actual stage was not used.

As far as the university was concerned, this was one of the last events to take place at the Battersea site. The move to Guildford was completed soon after.

Cheers

Archived