2011 NFL Football Thread

Bong-Man

Memo to Lions management: work on getting a defense. The last two games the Lions have given up 90 points and 1,176 total yards.

Especially the secondary. Did you see that touchdown in the fourth quarter where the guy was all alone? I mean, no safety or cornerback anywhere to be found. No excuse for that poor of play by a secondary in a playoff game. I did not like the call when the Lions were down by ten and still within reach when Stafford just heaved hte ball down the right side and the ex Bill Grier picked it off. He should have thrown it away. Nice year for the Lions though. Must give them their due for taking a big step. Now like the guy says, build the defense. Get another good running back too, and establish a running game to help the already dynamic passing attack. That New Orleans at SF game will be mighty interesting. Tomorrow, I hope the Falcons hand the Giants their butts.

^^^7-2 Giants at the half...you certainly can't call that Madden football, dazedcat...a far cry from last night's Saints-Lions game. In fact, that Saints game was more an anomaly in the playoffs.

This Atlanta-NY game is low-scoring...the Pitt-Denver game will be low-scoring. And scoring will be infrequent at next week's Houston @ Baltimore and New Orleans @ San Francisco games. New Orleans' offense won't fly as high at the cold, windy confines of Candlestick Park, where playoff dreams often die.

Wow, LedZeppFan77, you REALLY HATE the Giants, don't you...they're not even in your division. Or even your confe...oh, wait, nevermind. I know why. Wide right...right?

God, I lost a lot of money on that game. It pissed me off so much, I didn't bet on the NFL for years and years...not until the Denver-Green Bay Super Bowl.

As much as you hate the Giants, LZF77, I hate the Chargers, so it gave me no small amount of schadenfreude to see two players the Chargers let go, Drew Brees and Darren Sproles, wreak havoc on the Lions while San Diego didn't even make the playoffs. How's that decision working out for you, Sn Diego?

See the Raiders got Green Bay's GM to replace the late Al Davis. Don't know much about the guy, but considering Green Bay has been one of the stablest franchises around, and they definitely made the right call on the Brett Favre vs. Aaron Rodgers matter, I have to take it as a positive sign.

I have to hand it to the Falcons head coach, he goes for it on fourth down. He goes down in flames along with his team but..........he goes for it. I honestly thought they'd play the Giants much tougher than they did. Next weeks rematch against the Packers ought to be interesting.

I can't believe how Denver is beating up on the Steelers right now. Thank God I don't bet pro football anymore.

^^^I basically broke even this weekend...bet a total of $200 and won $210. I'll probably take a pass next weekend and wait until I see how the Conference Championship matchups shake out.

I have to hand it to the Falcons head coach, he goes for it on fourth down. He goes down in flames along with his team but..........he goes for it. I honestly thought they'd play the Giants much tougher than they did.

There's going for it on 4th down smartly and then there's going for it the Atlanta way.

I've been watching football for decades now, and I can tell you that the majority of the 4th and short attempts that work are the ones where the QB walks up to the center and IMMEDIATELY the center snaps the ball and the center and qb charge ahead as one. You catch the defense by surprise, not letting them get set. Oftentimes, it'll happen so quickly the rest of the offensive line won't even move either.

So when Atlanta went for it in the 1st QTR and spent the majority of the play clock dithering around, changing formations and being silly, I KNEW the Giants would stuff them. All that dicking around by Atlanta had allowed the Giants defense to dig in.

Then that lame-ass attempt Atlanta tried in the 2nd half? When you line-up with nobody in the backfield, then the defense pretty much knows the QB is going to be running the ball.

The odds are against the QB getting the first down trying to plunge ahead. With no running back to key on, the defense is able to crowd the line of scrimmage in anticipation of the QB taking the snap and diving ahead.

Now, most smart coaches realize this, and in response they would call a rollout bootleg or a pass play, catching the defense by surprise.

Instead, Atlanta called and exucuted two of the lamest and predictable 4th and short attempts in history. To nobody's surprise, they failed.

Atlanta is starting to look like one of those teams that look good in the regular season, then choke and fold in the playoffs. Just like the Eagles.

Pittsburgh's time might be at an end...Roethlisburger, Polamalu, and many others are 10 year + veterans and I firmly believe a player only has 10 prime years in the NFL before age and injuries take a toll. The Steelers can still be good, but it's going to take an infusion of fresh young talent before they're Super Bowl ready again.

^^^I basically broke even this weekend...bet a total of $200 and won $210. I'll probably take a pass next weekend and wait until I see how the Conference Championship matchups shake out.

There's going for it on 4th down smartly and then there's going for it the Atlanta way.

I've been watching football for decades now, and I can tell you that the majority of the 4th and short attempts that work are the ones where the QB walks up to the center and IMMEDIATELY the center snaps the ball and the center and qb charge ahead as one. You catch the defense by surprise, not letting them get set. Oftentimes, it'll happen so quickly the rest of the offensive line won't even move either.

So when Atlanta went for it in the 1st QTR and spent the majority of the play clock dithering around, changing formations and being silly, I KNEW the Giants would stuff them. All that dicking around by Atlanta had allowed the Giants defense to dig in.

Then that lame-ass attempt Atlanta tried in the 2nd half? When you line-up with nobody in the backfield, then the defense pretty much knows the QB is going to be running the ball.

The odds are against the QB getting the first down trying to plunge ahead. With no running back to key on, the defense is able to crowd the line of scrimmage in anticipation of the QB taking the snap and diving ahead.

Now, most smart coaches realize this, and in response they would call a rollout bootleg or a pass play, catching the defense by surprise.

Instead, Atlanta called and exucuted two of the lamest and predictable 4th and short attempts in history. To nobody's surprise, they failed.

Atlanta is starting to look like one of those teams that look good in the regular season, then choke and fold in the playoffs. Just like the Eagles.

Pittsburgh's time might be at an end...Roethlisburger, Polamalu, and many others are 10 year + veterans and I firmly believe a player only has 10 prime years in the NFL before age and injuries take a toll. The Steelers can still be good, but it's going to take an infusion of fresh young talent before they're Super Bowl ready again.

I agree 100 percent with your take on Atlanta and their stupidity on fourth down. A naked backfield was stupid. If you are going to use a naked backfield you MUST THROW. No running back to even keep them honest and you are right they should have had the QB Roll out giving him the option of tucking it and running around the corner or throwing. The keeper was just so dumb against their defense. They have a good team but their coaching staff has glaring weakness's.

The early lines are out for next week already. The one that jumps off the page at me is San Fran plus 4 1/2 at home. I will take the points. Green Bay is giving the Giants 8 1/2, a bit much. And Houston is getting 8 in a game that is kind of tough to figure. New England not surprisingly is minus 13 1/2. I would be shocked to see Denver survive again, this time on the road. Remember what happened in Buffalo? Hmmmm.

Is anyone else sick of hearing this Teblow talk? I am. Belechek will make him look llke a sandlot castaway. Some moron was talking about if he wins the Super Bowll? Ha. He might win the toilet bowl. He already got flushed down one in Buffalo. Bills 40 Teblow 14. Ha. When the cream rises to the top I expect to see Baltimore walk away with the AFC crown. But they cannot take this Houston team lightly. Very mysterious team. Out of a shit division. NFC too tough to call. Green Bay and New Orleans are the favorties and deservedly so. But 49ers and Giants cant be taken too lightly. Atlanta was a real disappointment. Bad coaching did them in. Back to TEbow. Is New Englands defense shaky enough to make him look good again? Will it take the defense of Baltimore to stop him? I just cant see them winning because Brady will eat that defense for breakfast

Is anyone else sick of hearing this Teblow talk? I am. Belechek will make him look llke a sandlot castaway. Some moron was talking about if he wins the Super Bowll? Ha. He might win the toilet bowl. He already got flushed down one in Buffalo. Bills 40 Teblow 14. Ha. When the cream rises to the top I expect to see Baltimore walk away with the AFC crown. But they cannot take this Houston team lightly. Very mysterious team. Out of a shit division. NFC too tough to call. Green Bay and New Orleans are the favorties and deservedly so. But 49ers and Giants cant be taken too lightly. Atlanta was a real disappointment. Bad coaching did them in. Back to TEbow. Is New Englands defense shaky enough to make him look good again? Will it take the defense of Baltimore to stop him? I just cant see them winning because Brady will eat that defense for breakfast

I personally like Tebow, because the odds are against him , with all the trash talk he's been given and taking. Whether it's "God" on his side or not, I'm glad for em. I know he likes to give lots of credit to the Lord. Is he an elite QB? No, indeed not. But he's winning games and that's all that matters. If they go all the way to the Superbowl against New Orleans- It will go down as "Jesus vs. The Saints"...who ya gonna pick???

Edited by Rock Historian

Las Vegas gave Denver the lowest odds of any team in the playoffs of wining the Super Bowl: 1%.

A $100 bet on Denver would pay $7,200.

I'm staying away from this week's games...too tough to call. I cannot get a handle on any of them...not even Giants @ Green Bay, which theoretically should be a lock for Green Bay, but I see potential hazards for the Packers.

Nope, I'm saving my money for the following week...when the AFC and NFC conference champs are played.

Before the season, my brother and I always give our picks for who we think will make the Super Bowl. This year, he chose Green Bay and Baltimore, while I picked Green Bay and (foolishly) the NY Jets.

Houston did look good...but Baltimore ain't Cincy. Don't think Foster will run on the Ravens like he did the Bengals. Which puts more pressure on rookie QB Yates to throw and handle Baltimore's blitz. This is the only game this weekend that has the potential to be a blowout.

SF-New Orleans and New England-Denver are toss-ups. Really, who can predict with certainty what will happen in each game?

I was appalled by how Pittsburgh's defense CHOKED in that game last night...more appalling than Atlanta not showing up yet again in a playoff game. And New England's defense isn't near as good as Pittsburgh's.

This is usually my favourite weekend of football...4 games (two on each day) usually featuring good teams and good matchups.

I'm looking forward to it...and with no bets, I can just enjoy the games without the additional worry of losing money.

I keep hearing how the Saints are a different team on the road. Looking up their season stats, maybe? I don't see the massive fall off that people are talking about though.

The two upcoming NFC games are really interesting. I do think the Saints have enough to beat the 49ers but it won't be easy. The Giants played the Packers even when I saw the game last month, but I like the Packers. The key will be protecting Rodgers, if they can do that..........as good as the Giants are offensively the Packers are better. That betting line though is crazy, Green Bay - 12 1/2.....no thanks, I'll just watch again.

Candlestick is not a fun place to play, dazedcat. Throwing the ball around the cozy indoor confines of the Superdome is one thing; passing in the cold swirling winds of Candlestick is another.

Pierre Thomas and the Saints running game will play a crucial part. We'll also see if the 49ers defense really is #1.

But I'm with you on some of these betting lines...no way, José.

I think the potential blow out is the Patriots v. Broncos. After such an emotional win against the Steelers, I believe Denver will come out flat and be out of the game by halftime. Baltimore v. Houston will be a defensive struggle with the Ravens winning by about 10. Giants v. Packers is a tough one to figure out. The Giants have everything needed to go far, I think their defensive line will control the Packers banged up offensive line. But, the Packers should pull it out by a touchdown. 49'ers v. Saints, I agree with Strider - Candlestick is a tough place to play, especially in January. I think the 49'ers will win by 3, with Akers being a big part of the win - along with their great defense. No bets for me, never! Can't enjoy the games with money riding on it, so I don't partake. Enjoy the great weekend games ahead everyone!!

Strider, if you think New England and Denver is a toss up you should grab the 13 1/2 points and run with it. I do not think its a toss up. And you guys say you are not taking a shot, sorry I am not buying it. Everyone that bets on football games takes a shot. Even if its a fun light shot of ten bucks. So that is more of a fun bet than a real gamble. Come on now. Are you reallly laying off guys? If so that is your choice. I will take a light shot because from a money making standpoint I find the NFL to be far more difficult than the NBA or NHL> In the NBA I have not lost yet with the 76ers. I laid the 9 1/2 tonight vs Sac. And If you look, Wash has not won a single game yet. I took the Raptors. I have been betting the Blues in hockey alot. There are better bargains than in the NFL I believe, if you are truly trying to win rather than bet the fooball for fun. Which of course makes it more interesting. I agree with your take on the 49ers Strider and think it should be a tough job for the Saints. Now they finally have to play somebody just like Houston. Houston has had crap opponents all year. Now we see what they are made of. Good luck all.

^ so your saying the Saints haven't played anybody yet? (I don't think so)

The Saints have beat quite a good number of legitimate teams this year - and most by over 20 points per game. Green Bay and a handful of others have had less of a difficult schedule.

But isn't that the same ol' story though.......The Saints never get credit until they shut down another opponent and wake people up. Then they are taken seriously again. It happens week in and week out. It'll be a tough game for sure against SF - no doubt about it, but The Saints have the tools to get it done. Just depends on if it's their A game that day.

Edited by Rock Historian

I am saying San Fran and Houston have not had alot of competition. Not the Saints

quote: it should be a tough job for the Saints. Now they finally have to play somebody

^ Thanks for confirming. If read how it's written, it looks the opposite. Go Saints. I also hope The Giants can do it over GB, but that's a far cry from what we've seen so far.

I must correct myself on one point. San Fran did in fact beat the Giants.

So did The Saints. Beat em' pretty good too. 49-24

I don't think the Giants are that great of a football team this year-that's why hoping they beat Green Bay for the sake of playing the Giants here at home is just an act of wishful thinking

Edited by Rock Historian

^ yes and no, the giants didn't look that great back in 08...but they they have the parts to get through - good running game, great receivers and an underrated pass rush/defensive line. Those are solid foundations - and they didn't have them all in place until now. The major weakness is offensive line - which is what the Saints have and may be the difference in taking them all the way!