2011 NFL Football Thread

Bong-Man

I've said it before and I'll say it again...Indianapolis is no place to hold a Super Bowl. It's not a party town. That's another reason why the game had the atmosphere of an International Aluminum Siding convention at the Ramada Inn.

People want to party on Bourbon Street!

I hear ya Rick (as they call you) I agree with your thoughts on New England. I just didn't feel that they didn't want it bad enough. I tell ya what, I'd be a little upset if I were a NE fan. They missed some key passes that were in the hands of several recievers, that could have turned the game around for them. IMO that was one of the most "boring" SuperBowls of recent history. Now referring back to the Saints win two years ago-that was as emotional as it gets, and I don't think it can be overlooked or topped in that sense. If only the game last night was half as exciting.......but it wasn't, and I'm looking forward to next year. Speaking of teams up and coming for prime SB canidates, the Saints will be another powerhouse again this year-they have already made some key changes which I think are good moves in the defensive department, staff wise and players. Also the Bowl is held here next year which would be very fitting and ideal if the Saints could get just one step closer to the big one this time. I still believe in my mind/heart that they are better than both of the teams that played last night...but as they say (and I've quoted here before) it is "any given Sunday" - and that's what matters in the end. Here's to next year :drinks:

Strider-I'm feeling your pain on M.I.A.

That was a disgrace......and people wonder why I HATE rap. Taste is not an ingredient of the genre.

The Saints are very good and will be on the short list of NFC contenders for sure. Of course they have a chance. Rick is my real name by the way. I have had many screenames here. Most recently Silvermedalist if you were around? The division you are in will get tougher now that Carolina is on the rise with Cam Newton. Atlanta is good too. You have to be not only good, but luckey too. Just ask San fran and Baltimore. And have somebody that can kick a field goal if necessary. We could not get through last nights game without Collinsworth bringing up Scott Norwood's name. Wide right. Those two dreaded words.

I've said it before and I'll say it again...Indianapolis is no place to hold a Super Bowl. It's not a party town. That's another reason why the game had the atmosphere of an International Aluminum Siding convention at the Ramada Inn.

People want to party on Bourbon Street!

Word to ya mutha Strider!

Just wait and see what all the fuss is about next year buddy..............Your T.V. will be wearing panties!

More random thoughts about the game...

I had my doubts about Gronkowski's status, and felt a less than 100% Gronk would affect the Patriots offense somewhat...BUT to THAT extent?!? The Patriots seemed crippled without Gronk. And Gronk's absence seemed to affect Welker and Hernandez...did you see all those dropped passes?

2. Even if Brady and the Patriots had won, I was not ready to anoint Brady the best quarterback ever...he is no Joe Montana. Now with this loss, he no longer deserves to be in the discussion. Best QB of the 21st century, maybe. Greatest all-time? No way.

3. I believe in Eli more than Peyton...Eli Manning has beaten Brady more than Peyton Manning has. Step aside big brother, little brother is coming thru.

4. Whither Chad Ochocinco now?

IMO, I thought it was a good game but yeah, it definitely seemed to lack a Super Bowl atmosphere. Maybe it's just me but I find that no matter what game NBC covers, it seems as though Michaels and Collinsworth are calling the game from somewhere other than the stadium itself. You never hear the crowd noise and without it, no atmosphere.

M.I.A. got her fifteen minutes, which is all that vulgarity was about. Hip hop is limited by definition as it is, so hey flip the finger on a global stage to prove your "street cred" ..........nobody will remember her in a years time anyway.

Oh just for the record, Tom Brady to me is still the best in the league and I'm no Patriot fan either.

I also agree that the game didn't have the usual intensity - long drives, with relatively no big plays and hardly any turnovers....leads to that kind of game. Plus like what was said earlier, Indy doesn't deliver that usual party, hype, hoopla that other cities do when they host the game. I really didn't care who won the game, but it's interesting that the Pats are now 0-2 in Super Bowls since "spy gate" unfolded. Plus they are now 3-4 in Super Bowls as a whole. Congrats to the Giants for winning another one the hard way - going on the road for most of the playoff journey. Did anyone catch the whole Gisele thing after the game, blaming the receivers and getting hassled by the Giants' fans as she left the luxury boxes (no pun intended!)?

I still think Madonna sucked and could have picked better song selections....she is an entertainer who has lost a step and the looks that put her in mega-stardom. Now she has to rely on her musical talent, which she really doesn't have much of, IMO. The new song was pretty bad too - but the lights effect they used for "Like A Prayer" was cool!

Back to football....

:peace:

M.I.A. got her fifteen minutes, which is all that vulgarity was about. Hip hop is limited by definition as it is, so hey flip the finger on a global stage to prove your "street cred" ..........nobody will remember her in a years time anyway.

Oh just for the record, Tom Brady to me is still the best in the league and I'm no Patriot fan either.

pats lost this game more than the giants won it.....which i can't say is true for the last super bowl they played

I really didn't care who won the game, but it's interesting that the Pats are now 0-2 in Super Bowls since "spy gate" unfolded. Plus they are now 3-4 in Super Bowls as a whole. Congrats to the Giants for winning another one the hard way - going on the road for most of the playoff journey. Did anyone catch the whole Gisele thing after the game, blaming the receivers and getting hassled by the Giants' fans as she left the luxury boxes (no pun intended!)? I still think Madonna sucked and could have picked better song selections....she is an entertainer who has lost a step and the looks that put her in mega-stardom. Now she has to rely on her musical talent, which she really doesn't have much of, IMO. The new song was pretty bad too - but the lights effect they used for "Like A Prayer" was cool! Back to football.... :peace:

I don't care what anyone says .... Spygate is a bunch of crap... Every team was filming,,, taking avantage of modern technology.... The year New England was "caught"... which was for 1 supposed infraction reported by the disgruntled Eric Mangini .... they went 18-1 ... ..

Remember how other teams were getting pissed that New England were "running up the score".... They were destroying everyone in their path.. after SPYGATE .... so much for them cheating.

The Giants outplayed them .... TWICE ..... simple as that.

Easy now Chase - I was only pointing out fact, there are plenty of other "rumors" about The Hoodies' level of cheating, errrr taping that are out there and haven't mentioned one of them! Just thought it was an interesting fact.

New YAWK!!!! :^)

I couldn't even see the game because of this lousy digital (government) TV, so I listened to the game on the radio which I didn't really mind as I've listened to a lot of 49er games that way.

Easy now Chase - I was only pointing out fact, there are plenty of other "rumors" about The Hoodies' level of cheating, errrr taping that are out there and haven't mentioned one of them! Just thought it was an interesting fact.

Sorry Walter. I didn't mean to make it directed at you.

I meant it more as a general rant...

I still think Spygate is a load of bullshit though.

Sorry Walter. I didn't mean to make it directed at you.

I meant it more as a general rant...

I still think Spygate is a load of bullshit though.

No problems, Chase...I know NE fans are sensitive about that subject! My family is originally from VT, so I understand the extreme loyalty to the Pats, Sox, Celtics, etc.

B)

Well I am sure this thread will soon fade into the archives. But i ask you fans, do you not agree the kick off rule must change? Its crazy. Just look at all the stupid automatic kneel downs and the kicker can easily just put it in the cheap seats if he wants to. Or dare you to run it out. It takes away the only weapon some teams have. A good return game. Also hate the force out rule. That makes no sense. You cant change rules that have withstood decades. Its not fair to the game or those that played it years ago.

Haha, I'm not so sure about that, LZF77...with the draft and free agency, there is no off-season anymore it seems.

Plus, there is the $28 MILLION QUESTION: Do the Colts pay Peyton Manning or cut him and draft Andrew Luck?

If Peyton is released, which quarterback-deficient team steps up to the plate and gets him? Buffalo? Miami? Kansas City? Washington?

Haha, I'm not so sure about that, LZF77...with the draft and free agency, there is no off-season anymore it seems.

Plus, there is the $28 MILLION QUESTION: Do the Colts pay Peyton Manning or cut him and draft Andrew Luck?

If Peyton is released, which quarterback-deficient team steps up to the plate and gets him? Buffalo? Miami? Kansas City? Washington?

He's getting cut - no doubt. it's too much of a gamble

No there is no off season. They'll be in mini camps late spring.

Peyton is released before his bonus $ can be awarded.

Don't know the answer to number 3 but with Snyder's track record. He'll race to the front of the line and then It is sealed. He'll never complete the season.

Peyton is a goner in Indy. And there are rumblings that Washington wants him. Of course alot of teams will want him. But they are concerned about his health, and righfully so given the money he will want. The Bills are not on the list. I was on a chat with sportswriter Sully in the Buffalo News and he told me Zero chance the Bills will pursue him. They will go with Fitz and build the defensive line.

I realize Peyton is a gamble, but so was Drew Brees back in 2006. Miami took a pass because of doubts about his shoulder...ask Miami if they rue that decision now? Brees seems to have done alright in New Orleans.

Saw the early odds for next season...San Francisco is 10-1; I like those odds and I might take $100 of the money I won on the Super Bowl and place a futures bet on the 49ers.

I realize Peyton is a gamble, but so was Drew Brees back in 2006. Miami took a pass because of doubts about his shoulder...ask Miami if they rue that decision now? Brees seems to have done alright in New Orleans.

Saw the early odds for next season...San Francisco is 10-1; I like those odds and I might take $100 of the money I won on the Super Bowl and place a futures bet on the 49ers.

Not a bad idea. I have about $79 in futures going on Bet Us who I use. Now they give you a gift card and load your winnings onto it. I have just made my thrid withdrawal in three weeks. So I am killing the NBA, Football is far more difficult to win at. IMO. 49ers and Baltimore will both be on the short list of favorites. Teams like Chicago and Detroit would not be a terrible stab and Philly if Vick stays healthy. You know me. Bills. Just imagine those odds. Ha. I think San Diego will finally make some noise. You would think anyway. But I have to see the draft and the free agency before I bite.

The general concensus is that Peyton will land in Washington. I hope not. Number one I hate the Redskins. Number two I hate Shanahan. Why would he want to go there? He will get rich wherever he goes so it cant be money. His father played for the Saints so we know that him and Eli can never wind up there as they have Breese,. My team is too fucking cheap as long as Wilson is still around. I know the Jets have had it with Sanchez and I expect his career to end this year. But I do not see him playing for a long hated rival. I would imagine there would have to be an injury clause in any contract. After all he is coming off what is normally a career ending injury as far as football is concerned. I had the exact surgery. I still feel it when I play tennis on my Wii game.

Archived