Osama bin Laden DEAD

SuperDave

Briefly on either Saturday or Sunday just passed,a neck up photo was shown on either the main BBC newspage or The Telegraph (a British newspaper) newspage showing what perported to be a photo of the dead bin Laden.The body was obviously showing trauma to the left eye,in truth it looked more like a black eye with subsequent swelling than anything else.It was not gory at all and,having seen the photo myself,I would say that it was definately the man they were after.

Sorry mate that was a hoax - an existing pic of him doctored to look bruised and battered x

Spidersandsnakes,I could see you were online so I thought you would reply quickly.Thanks for that,but you have not aswered my point about your original post.You've mentioned the states above having "ties to the western world".Of course they have,every country in the world is now interconnected to many others in a million ways.That fact in itself proves nothing.As for Mubarak and his Swiss bank occounts,well are you surprised?Islamic banks do not allow the acrueing of interest,so Mubarak,like so many other despots with their eyes on their wallets decides to shop somewhere else.Who is world renowned for both healthy interest payments and secrecy?The land of the yodel.You've mentioned the Egyptian people getting "..sick and tired of it all" regarding Mubarak's ties to the west,but that did not start the recent uprising in that country.What kicked it off was the suicide of a young student,if I remember correctly,who killed himself in despair at the lack of economic opportunities in his country.It has spread to other country's from that fact.In essence they want what we in Britain,America,europe,Australia,Canada and Japan,etc all already have and take for granted.They want freedom and they want a future decided by themselves.Anyway,that you and I know and would probably agree on,but I would still like you to explain about the corruption you feel that the west has dumped on the middle east and how it has effected them.I cannot see it myself,but I'll read your argument for.By the way,RIGHT-WING is two words ;) ,and have you bought that Patti Smith photo book yet ?Good luck.

No worries, RIGHT-WING can be written both as 2 words and as a compound word...that's modern English for you:):)!

Corruption means buying your way to power....and if you think that is good, that is another topic we should start elsewhere:).

Would you like me to believe that if the peoples of Egypt, Tunisia, etc. had the $$$ they would have chosen the men who they are trying to get rid oF??? NO WAy man :):). That is where the whole corruption thing comes into it. I don't really have to explian more if I choose not to you know?!!:)...it's so clear. Corruption also meas using the $$$ those kingdoms have to try and crush the people's LEGIT uprising.

Said Obama: "The risks of release outweigh the benefits. Conspiracy theorists around the world will just claim the photos are doctored anyway, and there is a real risk that releasing the photos will only serve to inflame public opinion in the Middle East."

He added: "Imagine how the American people would react if Al Qaida killed one of our troops or military leaders, and put photos of the body on the internet. Osama bin Laden is not a trophy -- he is dead and let's now focus on continuing the fight until Al-Qaeda has been eliminated."

I bolded the important points. Let the conspiracy theorists hang themselves with their own rope. It's entertainment for the rest of us. Deathers, birthers, truthers......they're all fruits from the same cracked-out, brain-addled tree.

Briefly on either Saturday or Sunday just passed,a neck up photo was shown on either the main BBC newspage or The Telegraph (a British newspaper) newspage showing what perported to be a photo of the dead bin Laden.The body was obviously showing trauma to the left eye,in truth it looked more like a black eye with subsequent swelling than anything else.It was not gory at all and,having seen the photo myself,I would say that it was definately the man they were after.

Those early photos were said to be photoshopped.

No worries, RIGHT-WING can be written both as 2 words and as a compound word...that's modern English for you:):)!

Corruption means buying your way to power....and if you think that is good, that is another topic we should start elsewhere:).

Would you like me to believe that if the peoples of Egypt, Tunisia, etc. had the $$$ they would have chosen the men who they are trying to get rid oF??? NO WAy man :):). That is where the whole corruption thing comes into it. I don't really have to explian more if I choose not to you know?!!:)...it's so clear. Corruption also meas using the $$$ those kingdoms have to try and crush the people's LEGIT uprising.

Thanks again for the reply,but once again nothing in your answer backs up your statement about the west exporting corruption to the middle east.I am not harping on about this to be pedantic,you made a statement and I am truly interested in what facts or opinions draw you to come to the conclusion you have.I want to know.Of course you don't have to explain more if you choose not to,as you've said above,but I'd like to know all the same.I'll not post again on this topic,so the floor is yours.Good luck to you and yours.

I bolded the important points. Let the conspiracy theorists hang themselves with their own rope. It's entertainment for the rest of us. Deathers, birthers, truthers......they're all fruits from the same cracked-out, brain-addled tree.

:rolleyes: Another benefit - it distracts people like this from the crappy economy.

See? This is one of the reasons I spend time on this board. Intelligent analysis and responsible discussion. Mr Zakaria is one of the most brilliant political minds today.

Many thanks. :)

Clearly she is a critical thinker, for which you as the mother who raised her should be proud. If that article I posted from ten years ago brought you closer to the answer, I believe this article from today is the answer:

Al Qaeda is Over

By Fareed Zakaria, CNN

In the wake of Osama bin Laden's death, a number of people are saying that this does not mean that al Qaeda has been destroyed. Some argue that the organization may, in fact, be thriving. Front-page articles in both The New York Times and The Washington Post make this claim. Many officials from Obama downward are saying this.

I understand why officials have to say this. They want to be cautious. They don't want to overpromise.

But the truth is this is a huge, devastating blow to al Qaeda, which had already been crippled by the Arab Spring. It is not an exaggeration to say that this is the end of al Qaeda in any meaningful sense of the word.

Al Qaeda is not an organization that commands massive resources. It doesn't have a big army. It doesn't have vast reservoirs of funds that it can direct easily across the world.

Al Qaeda was an idea and an ideology, symbolized by an extremely charismatic figure in Osama bin Laden. Bin Laden was this Saudi prince-like figure who had gone into the mountains of Afghanistan forsaking the riches of a multibillion-dollar fortune, fought against the Soviets, demonstrated personal bravery and then crafted a seductive message about Islam and Islamic extremism as a path to destroy the corrupt regimes of the Middle East.

History teaches us that the loss of the charismatic leader - of the symbol - is extraordinarily damaging for the organization. It is very difficult to keep such an organization together, particularly in the absence of great power backers.

In the case of al Qaeda, this is a virtual organization held together by its message and the inspiration it provided. A large part of that inspiration was bin Laden. Ayman Zawahiri may have been the brains behind the outfit, but he did not excite people. When people volunteered for jihad, they were volunteering to be bin Laden's foot soldiers, not Ayman Zawahiri's or Khalid Sheikh Mohammed's. The loss of bin Laden's personality is hugely important because it was so much part of al Qaeda's appeal.

In addition, we must remember that the death of bin Laden is not occurring in a vacuum. The Arab Awakening has already crippled the basic rationale of al Qaeda. Al Qaeda existed because bin Laden argued that the regimes of the Arab world were dictatorial and oppressive. He argued that the United States was supporting those regimes and, as a result, Muslims had to engage in terrorism against the United States and those regimes. He claimed that the only way to achieve change was through violence, terrorism and Islamic extremism.

In the past few months, we have seen democratic, peaceful, non-Islamic revolutions transform Egypt and Tunisia. We are seeing these forces changing almost every government in the Arab world. Al Qaeda is not in the picture. So when you combine the Arab Spring with bin Laden's death, you have a very powerful one-two punch to al Qaeda.

Certainly, there are groups of terrorists around the world, some of which now call themselves al Qaeda. These groups are loosely affiliated in some sense. But gangs of bad guys have always been around.

With the death of bin Laden, the central organizing ideology that presented an existential seduction to the Muslim world and an existential threat to the Western world is damaged beyond repair. We're left with free-lance terrorists who will, of course, be able to inflict some harm. But the Somali pirates are able to inflict harm on civilians, and that doesn't turn them into an existential threat to the Western world.

That existential threat is gone.

Osama bin Laden, as everyone knows, had the grave responsibility of having spread division and hate among people, causing the deaths of an innumerable number of people and exploiting religion for these purposes.

Father Federico Lombardi, the Vatican

Al Qaeda was an idea and an ideology, symbolized by an extremely charismatic figure in Osama bin Laden. Bin Laden was this Saudi prince-like figure who had gone into the mountains of Afghanistan forsaking the riches of a multibillion-dollar fortune, fought against the Soviets, demonstrated personal bravery and then crafted a seductive message about Islam and Islamic extremism as a path to destroy the corrupt regimes of the Middle East.

Fareed Zakaria, CNN

Edited by Silver Rider

Seriously, how do you and your girlfriend communicate? With flash cards?

Trying to have an reasonable, coherent conversation with this person is next to impossible. Perhaps if those flash cards were dipped in day-glo paint it might be possible but even then, I very highly doubt it.

What is the basis of this statement ? I've seen no evidence of anyone claiming that the currier information was obtained at Gitmo. I've seen no evidence that the information was obtained thru water torture, or by rewarding someone with a big steak. The only information I've heard is that the CIA obtained the information from an interview that occurred in a European prison.....and what proof do you have that the information couldn't have been obtained at any detention center no matter the location ? Remember....according to the last regime, the U.S. doesn't torture. :)

This seems clear enough.

http://americansforfreedom.org/articles/2011/05/obamas-cia-director-leon-panetta-admits-they-used-water-boarding-gain-intel-track-k

^He amicably shared stories over tea and chocolate chip cookies? George Washington would like that.

And in other news...

The Myth of Bin Laden

The false story of his life meets the false story of his death.

By William Saletan

slate.com

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bin Laden 'firefight': Only one man was armed

He was killed early on at guest house, and four others — including al-Qaida leader — never fired a shot

By Jim Miklaszewski Chief Pentagon correspondent

msnbc.com

Edited by Silver Rider

BTW, here's a picture of the POTUS and other important individuals watching live video of this raid:

white-house-situation-room1_620x350.jpg

Here's the story that goes along with it --> http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hGb8e8RitwaOR-V3kF-dQQyfPyOA?docId=e5dff7a904ec41fca5928f15842e9f98

Oops, not quite the truth.

Seems the above photograph was more for show than actually seeing the action live, as they first claimed.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/al-qaeda/8493391/Osama-bin-Laden-dead-Blackout-during-raid-on-bin-Laden-compound.html

No personal attack here, Electro.

You posted a legitimate link.

I'm only pointing out how that has since been revealed to be somewhat of a charade.

Sucks for all of us, really.

Edited by TypeO