Osama bin Laden DEAD

SuperDave

It only took nearly 10 years. In any event, killing Bin Laden isn't the end of radical Islamic terrorism. He was just one head of the hydra, and when you cut it off, another grows back in its place. I echo Lake of Shadows sentiments about being worried about reprisals. They will happen. We need to be prepared. All this did was make him a martyr to that cause, no matter how much he deserved to be fish food.

I understand your concern because I think it's fair to say that all of us are . However, I believe we alway's did have to be prepared and if getting rid of this beast makes us all more aware of that fact then more than just justice itself has been served

Edited by ally

Seriously? Over 3000 innocent people died at the hands of this bastard. We (the USA) just served justice.

Where was I disagreeing with you? Did I say I wasn't sorry to see him go?

I can't believe so many people seem to have their heads in the sand and think there won't be further murderous acts against Americans as a result of this action, though.

Hi Joel,back again?

I don't think it's going to diminish the effects or activities of terrorism and this is more of a symbolic killing. Not that he didn't deserve it, but it's more of a retaliation/revenge action than an effective "lid tightening" with the extremist's.

Every terrorist had to change their underwear yesterday.

Unlike sudden death in sports, this is a never ending game.

I would suggest cracking a history book at some point.It never ends.

Hey, but look at what effect he has had on the world and mostly the USA. We've had an ongoing war for the longest time we've ever had one before, so at least the industrial/military machine can keep churning. Oh, and the undertakers are busier than in peacetime.

Your sick,wonderful comment as always,... :blink:

KB

On hearing the news this afternoon, I pretty much thought of the saying "Ding-Dong, The Bastard Is Gone!" :D Good riddance! B)

But unfortunately, on a grim and cautious note, there is a high probability of acts of "revenge" so to speak. We really need to be careful now, because who knows what might happen?! :unsure:

This whole "terrorism" movement is so wide-spread that it is just shocking! :unsure: We just need to keep on fighting! I consider this as a major breakthrough though! B) But there are more rats to flush out, that's for sure!! :wacko:

Don't you mean "Ding-dong! The witch is dead!"? Or is "the bastard" a Kiwi variation of the phrase? :)

Now that there has been confirmation of a DNA match, it looks like Osama bin Laden is not only merely dead, he's really most sincerely dead!

"DING-DONG THE WITCH IS DEAD!", indeed.

I'm not particularly religious so I have no problem celebrating bin Laden's death. I've worked with battered and abused women and children and there are some people in this world beyond redeeming. No amount of prayer or counseling is gonna change them.

As for the chance for repercussions, I understand the qualms a few of you have expressed, but there were repercussions having him alive, too. If given the choice between having him dead or alive, I'll take dead anyday.

And if there are any reprisals, so be it. We can deal with them. There was terrorism before bin Laden and there will be terrorism after bin Laden. I'm sure most people understand we still have to be vigilant and aware.

But every day Osama bin Laden remained free, it was like he and his supporters were laughing at us. The big, powerful, technologically superior United States couldn't find one little old man hiding in a cave. Well now they know that, even though it may take a little time, the United States gets their man. And, with bin Laden's death, and some of the other high-level al Queida deaths, maybe, just maybe it is them that are feeling a little unsure and afraid.

Oh sure, eventually someone will take Osama bin Laden's place as the figurehead and the "face" of terror. But I don't think there will be too many eager applicants rushing to fill his shoes, knowing that HE will be next in the U.S.'s crosshairs.

And if for no other reason, it was worth killing bin Laden just to give justice and closure to the families of the victims of Sept. 11...nay, to families of all the victims of bin Laden's terrorist plots around the world.

The world is a better place with bin Laden dead.

BIG CONGRATULATIONS TO THE NAVY SEALS, and everyone else involved with the planning and execution of this VSO. As a fellow vet, I'm so proud and I SALUTE you!

I've never trusted Pakistan, so it's about time we kept them in the dark. If they had known about this mission, no doubt they would've alerted bin Laden. You don't hide as long as bin Laden did wthout OFFICIAL help.

But the U.S. got him. Today is a good day.

Edited by Strider

What is also important is they got their hands on alot of inteligence. Lots of information that he had there. If they can take out the number two guy soon, it will be close to a fatality to Al Quada. They are already weakened greatly by Bin Ladens death. Hopeully they can get this other guy soon. They were surprised in a way he was not there as they believed they were usually together. I am a bit surprised to learn of the burial at sea. I am sure they took alot of pictures. Its just hard to believe he avoided capture so long. My understanding, as it was reported, he gave orders to his henchmen to kill him if he were surrounded. His last cowardly act from what I have heard is holding a woman in front of him as a human shield. A real piece of shit.

I just emailed the news to those I know that will not learn until morning. Much of the world is asleep and will awake to this. What in the devil will they do with the bastards body? did they ever really tell us the truth about Hitler? Dont the Russians have his remains? This is like the news of Hitler being killed.

Sage talk here :):):)

God bless you.

PS: This just in...AP report says binloaden was burried at sea.

He is in God's hands now.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bin Laden's body cleansed before sea burial

msnbc.msn.com

CAIRO — Al-Qaida leader Osama bin Laden was buried at sea from the deck of a U.S. aircraft carrier in the north Arabian Sea after being washed according to Islamic custom during a religious funeral, a U.S. defense official said Monday.

"Preparations for at-sea burial began at 1:10 a.m. EST and were completed at 2 a.m. EST," the official said. "Traditional procedures for Islamic burial were followed."

The official described the procedure to NBC News as follows:

• The deceased's body was washed and then placed in a white sheet.
  • The body was placed in a weighted bag.
  • A military officer read prepared religious remarks that were translated into Arabic by a native speaker.
  • After the words were complete, the body was placed on a prepared flat board, tipped up, whereupon the deceased's body eased into the sea from the USS Carl Vinson.

The rites sparked a debate about Islamic customs, with some Muslim clerics calling the procedure humiliating and others saying it was proper.

But Mohammed Qudah, a professor of Islamic law at the University of Jordan, said burying the Saudi-born bin Laden at sea was not forbidden if there was nobody to receive the body and provide a Muslim burial.

"The land and the sea belong to God, who is able to protect and raise the dead at the end of times for Judgment Day," he said. "It's neither true nor correct to claim that there was nobody in the Muslim world ready to receive Bin Laden's body."

Bin Laden Buried at Sea

navy.mil

The deceased terrorist was buried at sea because no country would accept bin Laden's remains, a senior defense official said.

And in other news..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

'I'm the guy who liveblogged the Osama raid without knowing it'

Computer programmer unwittingly tweets description of operation which killed al-Qaida leader

msnbc.msn.com

Edited by Silver Rider

Where was I disagreeing with you? Did I say I wasn't sorry to see him go? I can't believe so many people seem to have their heads in the sand and think there won't be further murderous acts against Americans as a result of this action, though.

Not at all. I did not read any expression other than fear. My thoughts at the time of this bastards death was not one of fear, but of justice. As to the point you did make, I think rational people understand we are at risk of retaliation. It is in fact a serious concern/factor, just not my first thought in hearing a mass murderer had been shot in the face.

.. "I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

Numb nut

.. "I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

Again. :blink:

:goodpost:

Is there actually any hard evidence that he is dead as yet?

So far all we have had is news reports stating he is dead, no hard facts or evidence.

The fact that they have already disposed of his body seems a bit iffy to me.

How could anyone have gotten His DNA, prior to his death? and had it tested so quickly to get a match.

It is all moving a bit too quick for my liking.

So far all we have had is news reports stating he is dead, no hard facts or evidence.

How could anyone have gotten His DNA, prior to his death? and had it tested so quickly to get a match.

Apparently the U.S. government has an unreleased photograph of Osama bin Laden's remains.

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The White House says it has made no decision on whether to release photographic proof that Osama bin Laden is dead.

John Brennan, President Barack Obama's counterterrorism adviser, says the administration will do everything it can to make sure no one can deny U.S. claims that the al-Qaida leader was killed during a firefight with U.S. forces in Pakistan.

But Brennan says still to be determined is whether to release a photo of bin Laden's dead body. Brennan says one concern is whether doing so could potentially jeopardize similar operations and intelligence sources in the future.

weau.com

Not at all. I did not read any expression other than fear. My thoughts at the time of this bastards death was not one of fear, but of justice. As to the point you did make, I think rational people understand we are at risk of retaliation. It is in fact a serious concern/factor, just not my first thought in hearing a mass murderer had been shot in the face.

It's a very serious concern, realistically--and the gloating I read in many news reports about him being shot in the face make me wonder if the writers are any better morally than he was.

It's a very serious concern, realistically--and the gloating I read in many news reports about him being shot in the face make me wonder if the writers are any better morally than he was.

I'd say it's safe to think they (the writers) are safe from a morality comparison to Bin Loaden.

The US government has photographic evidence of his dead body, not to mention photographs taken throughout the mansion that he was killed in that clearly show a giant pool of blood. There is also according to reports I've been reading, DNA proof that it's him. You don't need DNA from that person to prove that the body you have is him, sometimes DNA from familial relations can be enough to prove a relationship, which would then prove the identity. The man had 20 wives and over 50 children......there's DNA out there. The reason his body was disposed of as quickly as it was had to do with eliminating the possibility that his body and/or grave could become a pilgrimage site for like-minded individuals. This was absolutely 100% the right way to deal with his remains.

Take off the tinfoil hat, please.

Yeah...10 years is way to soon to fake this right? Seriously...

Hi all,

Where did I say that?

How about right above the quote from Dr. King where you typed the words "Numb nut". That might be a good place to start looking. Also, you are correct in that Dr. King didn't directly reference Bin Laden as there was no reason for him to have done so at the time he made that statement. However that doesn't negate the man's point, now does it?

While I fully believe Bin Laden deserved to take the eternal dirt nap, the fact that his death will no doubt cause reprisals against our military forces already in the area and potentially our embassies around the world, means I'm not exactly standing on the hood of a car screaming "AMERICA, FUCK YEAH!" while a Lee Greenwood song blares in the background.