Vinyl collections!

Thelma Susanna

Hello everyone!

I've noticed that there are some topics about vinyls around here... I hope that I'm not repeating any of them! But since that there's a lot of people here that listen to vinyl records I thought that it would be interesting to discuss, to share, the vinyls we own.

I've been making a collection of vinyls for a very long time...

Is there anyone else collecting vinyls?

Tell us what you got! biggrin.gif

Hello Thelma,

I do collect vinyl but not nearly as often as I'd like and my interests in this field are limited to Led Zeppelin & The Rolling Stones. I have about 200 different pressings of original Led Zeppelin/solo albums & 130 vintage Led Zeppelin vinyl bootleg releases. Aside from the first three Led Zeppelin bootleg albums I ever acquired I'd say the most cherished records in my collection are a ten-inch, one-sided acetate pressing of Jimmy's 'Wasting My Time' single from Sterling Sound in New York dated 6/8/88 and various test

and acetate pressings of Robert's first few post-Led Zeppelin solo albums and singles.

Hey Steven, that's AWESOME! That's quite a collection!! You have there some big rarities, no?

I wish I had a Led Zeppelin vinyl, but their hard to find here and very expensive! :(

But I do have some of Robert's albums in vinyl! (they're my most precious records, haha) I have Manic Nirvana that a good friend of mine gave to me, Shaken N' Stirred that my parents already had (funny story: the vinyl was in a bag ready to be sell... thank god that I found it first!), and The Honeydrippers that I bought smile.gif

And I really wish to complete my Robert's vinyl collection, and someday, buy some Led Zeppelin vinyls too!

My collection is very small yet, I have around 33 vinyls. My favorites are, besides the Robert ones: The Doors, Simon & Garfunkel, Elvis, Hotel California (The Eagles), Van Morrison, Roger Daltrey, Queen and Dire Straits smile.gif

I do have some of Robert's albums in vinyl! (they're my most precious records, haha) I have Manic Nirvana that a good friend of mine gave to me, Shaken N' Stirred that my parents already had (funny story: the vinyl was in a bag ready to be sell... thank god that I found it first!), and The Honeydrippers that I bought

When Robert was doing a press interview in 1988 to promote Now & Zen he joked about Shaken n' Stirred, saying something to the effect of he'd have sold a lot more copies if they had included a ten dollar bill beneath the shrink wrap. I think that meant people weren't willing to take a chance with his new musical direction on that album without a money back guarentee. Then he added "trying to find a chorus on that record is quite an impossibility" and he often goes "up a gum tree".

When Robert was doing a press interview in 1988 to promote Now & Zen he joked about Shaken n' Stirred, saying something to the effect of he'd have sold a lot more copies if they had included a ten dollar bill beneath the shrink wrap. I think that meant people weren't willing to take a chance with his new musical direction on that album without a money back guarentee. Then he added "trying to find a chorus on that record is quite an impossibility" and he often goes "up a gum tree".

Hahaha laugh.gif I see what you mean!! And Robert sure has some point in there... haha

But my parents actually didn't even knew who Robert Plant was (what a shame!). They would by records in packs (that's how some people sell them at fairs), just because in the middle of 5 or 6 records, there would be 3 or 4 that they wanted and then they would only listen to those that they knew well. That's why they probably have never listened to Shaken N' Stirred and it was apart, ready to be sell someday... they didn't want it. Fortunately I found it, and if I remember well, it was from the moment when I found the record that I decided to start a vinyl collection!

Hello everyone!

I've noticed that there are some topics about vinyls around here... I hope that I'm not repeating any of them! But since that there's a lot of people here that listen to vinyl records I thought that it would be interesting to discuss, to share, the vinyls we own.

I've been making a collection of vinyls for a very long time...

Is there anyone else collecting vinyls?

Tell us what you got! biggrin.gif

I don't necessarily "collect" vinyl anymore than I collect CDs or cassettes but I sure do purchase a lot of them. Out of those, I probably have a handful of collectables including the Yardbirds at Anderson Theatre, Skynyrd's Street Survivors flame cover (which is actually more valuable if you own it on 8-track) and all of R.E.M.'s fanclub singles. Back in the 80s, all vinyl was removed from record store shelves to make way for CDs. In the intervening years I still picked up used records on occasion but it hasn't been until the last 3-4 years that I started buying a lot of brand new vinyl again, especially if it comes with a card with a download code on it. I'm presently in the market for a new turntable but am steering clear of the cheap plastic USB ones. I saw a Technics model recently that I sort of have my eye on. My collection (which is probably around 2000 LPs) has been storage since around '99. Living along the coast of NC, I got tired of having to pack all of them up every time there was the threat of a hurricane (which was quite often) so now that I've relocated to higher ground I'm looking forward to being able to listen to them again.

I have one of the old fruit boxes full of them that my nephew gave me. Lots of Grateful Dead, Old Fleetwood Mac, Stones, Cream, Jethro Tull, etc.

I don't have a record player though. :(

I remember my first vinyl was The Song Remains the Same after seeing a video of the film. The next LP was an 80s pressing of Led Zeppelin 3. Many records later I found in a second hand recording shop a British "Deluxe" pressing of Led Zeppelin 3 - "Printed and made by the E.J. Day Group London and Bedford".

The differences in the printing & paper quality is astounding. It also features the "Do what thou wilt" & "So mote it be" engravings. It is a real indication of the artistry that went into product design and manufacturing back then - something sadly missing in todays cds (and obviously non-existent in the 'download' world).

The stangest record I picked up appears to be a Japanese pressing of Led Zeppelin 3 (a bootleg I think) that was found in a reproduced cover of Led Zeppelin (a duotone image of the cover which was wrapped around an actual Japanese album cover of another artist!).

The text featured typical Japanese spelling: LED ZEPPLIN...Celerbation Day...Since I've Bee Loving You...Bron-Y-Aur Stoomp...Hats Off To (Ror) Haarper

The differences in the printing & paper quality is astounding. It also features the "Do what thou wilt" & "So mote it be" engravings. It is a real indication of the artistry that went into product design and manufacturing back then - something sadly missing in todays cds (and obviously non-existent in the 'download' world).

The Jethro Tull LP I have has beautiful scratchboard (woodcut?) artwork and it features a pop-up of the band when you open it.

B)

I remember my first vinyl was The Song Remains the Same after seeing a video of the film. The next LP was an 80s pressing of Led Zeppelin 3. Many records later I found in a second hand recording shop a British "Deluxe" pressing of Led Zeppelin 3 - "Printed and made by the E.J. Day Group London and Bedford".

Thankfully, the packaging side of music media has returned thanks to the resurgence (small as it may be) of vinyl such as this deluxe vinyl reissue of George Harrison's All Things Must Pass:

George-Harrison-All-Things-Must-Pass-ltd-ed-3LP-product-shot1.jpg

Then there's this:

Pink Floyd

The Piper at the Gates of Dawn

Saucerful of Secrets

Ummagumma

Relics

Obscured By Clouds

The Dark Side of the Moon

Wish You Were Here

Animals

The Wall

A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Delicate Sound of Thunder

The Division Bell

(I also have all three of David Gilmour's solo albums, the album he did with The Orb, Metallic Spheres, and Rick Wright's first solo album Wet Dream)

Led Zeppelin

Zep IV

Physical Graffiti

Presence

In Through The Out Door

Eagles

Eagles

Desperado

On The Border

One Of These Nights

Their Greatest Hits (1971 - 1975)

Hotel California

The Long Run

Eagles Live

The Greatest Hits. Vol. 2

Miscellaneous Artists

Goodbye Yellow Brick Road -- Elton John

Night Moves -- Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band

No Jacket Required -- Phil Collins

Best Of The Doobies -- The Doobie Brothers

Chicago IX -- Chicago

Spinners -- The Spinners

13 -- The Doors

Who's Next -- The Who

Bookends -- Simon and Garfunkel

Breakfast In America -- Supertramp

Born In The USA -- Bruce Springsteen

Belladonna -- Stevie Nicks

Saturday Night Fever soundtrack -- Various Artists

Since my collection were about 2100 albums the last time I counted them it would be too much to sum them up.

The last 4 that got into my possession are:

Tama Impala: Innerspeaker

Astra: The Weirding

Genesis: Live

Alberta Cross: Broken side of time

My vinyls in fact are from my parents, I think they have almost 600, from classical music, jazz, flamenco, blues, pop, folk, rock to Led Zeppelin, of course. Sadly of Led we only have two: Presence and In through out the door. But we also have from Eric Clapton, The Who, Yes, Eagles, JJ Cale, etc. The oldest vinyl we have is one of Jesse Fuller, released in 1958, I think. It's a treasure :)

Uau Steve, it's awesome!!

I just started collecting them and was wondering if anyone knows a good place that they trust online for vinyl. We have a store here that I love going to but it is a bit pricey.

It depends on what you're looking for. For new vinyl, I've had MusicDirect recommended to me on a number of occasions. Thing is, no matter where you shop for new vinyl, it's going to be expensive, particularly when it comes to the high grade 180 gram vinyl. For used and rare vinyl, there's Gemm. I have never ordered from them but they have one of the widest varieties of used and rare I've ever seen online.

I still buy more CDs than I do vinyl but when I do buy vinyl I at least have several choices locally. There are two record stores (Schoolkids in Raleigh and CD Alley in Chapel Hill) that stock new and used vinyl and several more locations that stock nothing but used records. Yes, prices can sometimes be high but occasionally they have clearance sales where you can snag some pretty good deals.

I just started collecting them and was wondering if anyone knows a good place that they trust online for vinyl. We have a store here that I love going to but it is a bit pricey.

It may sound cliche, but aside from the vinyl I got from my father, I've never had any issues with Ebay. As long as you do your homework, set and keep to a budget, ask the seller all questions you can even think of about the item, and stick to your gut instincts, it's highly unlikely that you'll get ripped off.

There's a bunch on the same street in Tacoma, WA. 6th St. I believe. Don't know if they do on-line though.

Also, 'Buzzard's' in Tacoma.

• 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...

I have 1000 albums on the vinyl format plus an additional 200 singles (both 45's and 33 and 1/3's). The album wall is in alphabetical and chronological order. They sit in a cherry coloured mahogany shelf!

I would take the bus in Ottawa on Bank Street downtown and spend my money at the Turning Point and Legend Records and bunch of other shops as a child. I was sort of a loser, because although I was athletic (skiing, soccer, and hockey), my most powerful memory I have as a child was my father teaching me how to use his white marble turntable while I played “You Can’t Do That” by the Beatles and “You’ve Got To Hide Your Love Away” over and over.

• 6 months later...

So I just picked up a Zep album ( Led Zep IV) the outside cover is just the regular cover but the inside of the album is a from a Barry Manilow LP...does anyone have any info on this? I can find nothing about it on the net anywhere other than from where I got it. I am under the impression it is possibly only 1 of 1

So I just picked up a Zep album ( Led Zep IV) the outside cover is just the regular cover but the inside of the album is a from a Barry Manilow LP...does anyone have any info on this? I can find nothing about it on the net anywhere other than from where I got it. I am under the impression it is possibly only 1 of 1

That's a nice little find. Yes, it could be 1 of 1, but there probably are more, as part of a botched run. These attract some additional value, but they are not worth a fortune. Surprisingly, I have heard of many anomalies with LZ IV, for some reason, but I'm not sure if I've ever heard of a Barry Manilow version.

Archived