ALZHEIMERS DISEASE

Juliet

Hello:

A very close relative has been recently diagnosed with this disease...I'm not too happy right now..

I understand from info I have seen on tv etc that this disease is affecting alot of people now...and may affect even more in the future..

Any ideas on how to cope...

Juliet :(

Hello Virgina:

Thank-you so much...I knew that if I shared my thoughts here I would not feel quite so scared..

I have started to connect by joining Alzheimer Society Facebook pages..I'm feeling a bit better..if just for the fact that I see I do not have to walk this journey alone..

Juliet

There is no more a cruel death than dying of Alzheimer's, IMO. The person dies long before their body gives out. My grandmother had Alzheimer's before she finally died last November, and it was heartbreaking for my mom when she kept thinking she was her sister Pauline (my grandmother's sister, that is), and that my uncle was her late husband.

By the end she didn't know who she was, where she was, even what day it was. I'd rather die fast of something painful than die from that. You have my absolute and utmost sympathies, Juliet.

Hi Juliet,

I had a Grandfather diagnosed with it and about a year or so ago my Grandmother.

The steps you have already taken plus friends and Deborah J & Virginia's offerings/suggestions are all a great start.

Hopefully you have other family nearby to help each other too.

Steve

So sorry to hear this Juliet. Be strong and surround yourself with a good support network. Family, friends, organizations.

I have not had any first had experience in my family with this, thankfully, but have had friends that have had to deal with it.

Very difficult and heartbreaking for them.

I watched a medical show regarding this matter and there has been some strong links between alzheimers and the consumption of sodium nitrate, which is in alot of smoked processed meats.

To all who have made replies and/or viewed this topic:

Thanks...I appreciate your concern and ideas....I have had a few days off work this week to rest, relax and do research. Here's an interesting fact..The Alzheimers Society in Cardiff has a Facebook page.

I feel better today. I'm trying to keep positive and carry on my usual routines.

Once again...I appreciate your concern..ideas...thoughts and prayers...

Juliet xo

PS What have you done today to keep your brain active? A puzzle? Learned something new?

• 3 weeks later...

Hello:

The person I wrote about passed away @ 3 a.m. today...peacefully.....I spent much time wth him yesterday recalling good times.....holding his hand...telling him not to worry...I will be o.k....

R.I.P. Dad

Juliet xo

Archived