Pink Floyd to release unheard tracks

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011/may/10/pink-floyd-unreleased-tracks-on-emi

Pink Floyd to release unheard tracks

Why Pink Floyd...? releases on EMI include re-issues of all 14 studio albums and unheard recordings from archives

Alexandra Topping guardian.co.uk, Tuesday 10 May 2011 18.06 BST

EMI will begin re-releasing the band's back catalogue of albums starting in September.

More than four decades after they released their first album, previously unheard recordings from Pink Floyd are to be released this summer.

The tracks will be unearthed from the archives in a schedule of releases which will include collectors' box sets and remastered studio recordings. The unheard recordings include a version of the album title track Wish You Were Here featuring jazz violinist Stéphane Grappelli.

The releases draw a line under legal disputes between the group and their label EMI. In March last year the veteran rockers went to the high court to prevent EMI selling individual tracks online via sites such as iTunes, arguing that in 1999 they signed a contract that "prohibits the sale of albums in any configuration other than the original". Ten months later, the surviving band members – Roger Waters, David Gilmour and Nick Mason – agreed to the sale of single digital downloads.

All 14 studio albums will be re-released under the banner "Why Pink Floyd...?" from September. The Dark Side Of The Moon will be available in a six-disc "immersion" box set or a mere two-disc "experience" version, as well digitally and as a collectors' vinyl LP.

Wish You Were Here will be available on five discs, with material from the band's 1974 Wembley dates, including a 20-minute live version of Shine On You Crazy Diamond, or two. The Wall, which has sold 25m double sets, will be available in a seven-disc set, including a previously unreleased demo version of The Wall. A single album Best Of collection will also be released.

If more proof were needed that the band have finally embraced the digital age, or have at least loosened the concept of "artistic integrity", a campaign around the release will let fans make "their own creative contributions to the band's music" while iPhone Apps will chart the band's history and influence.

The replica memorabilia looks interesting, like ticket stubs and backstage passes, but all the music and such that they are selling here, I already have. If Pink Floyd did it, I own it. In about three formats. So I won't be buying this because I don't do repeats, but there is an allure there for people who don't have anything and are willing to spend the money for it.

It wouldn't surprise if they had previously unreleased material, most bands do.

There are umpteen bootlegs out there including The Dome Brighton 20 Jan and Guild Hall Portsmouth 21 Jan 1972 where they first performed DSOTM.

I have both of them and the sound quality is good and in the hands of a good engineer / producer wouldn't take much to improve on them.

Oh Yeah. I've got a lot of what is on these 2 releases, (DSOTM & WYWH) either official or on bootleg. As there is also much here that I have not got I'm having these ...Fuck the cost......Cheap really with the amount of material on them.

September 26 2011:

All 14 remastered studio albums Discovery editions

Box-set of all 14 albums with photo book

Audio downloads of Discovery albums and box-set

The Dark Side of The Moon Immersion and Experience editions, Vinyl LP and digital editions

November 7 2011:

A Foot In The Door -The Best of Pink Floyd

Wish You Were Here Immersion and Experience editions, Vinyl LP and digital editions

The long-awaited 5.1 version of ‘Wish You Were Here’, mixed by James Guthrie, will also be released in parallel via independent label Acoustic Sounds.

February 27 2012:

The Wall Immersion and Experience editions, Vinyl LP and digital editions

The boxset market really does seem to have caught fire recently, the only way they can make much money sell hard copies these days I spose. Its maybe not my most sort after material(although I'm looking forward to the rest of the Wembley 74 show finally seeing the light of day) but both Darkside and Wish You Were's boxsets do look pretty interesting, not just yout typical album + vinyl you'll never play.

Its a shame the post Syd/Pre Darkside years don't seem to be covered as thats probabley the biggest goldmine for unreleased material, The Man/The Journey, the Zabriski Point Outtakes, tracks like Fat Old Sun and Embryo heavly reworked live etc. An offical release of one of the 77 shows would be great to hear aswell, the infamous final show espeically which dispite Waters negative expereince is a great performance.

You have to wonder how long Page is going to hold off releasing more material at this stage too, I didnt think we'd see anything from Floyd but endless repackaging of the same albums so maybe its finally time to open the vaults again?

The boxset market really does seem to have caught fire recently, the only way they can make much money sell hard copies these days I spose.

To the contrary, I think it's also a big part of what has caused the upsurge in the sale of vinyl. Though we may be in the minority, there are some of us that value the hard work that goes into the packaging of records. That goes for box sets as well as vinyl records. On the downside, for completists you now have at least three formats to choose from: digital, compact discs and vinyl. In the case of the last Drive-By Truckers record, Go-Go Boots, they included several bonus songs but in order to obtain them you had to buy the album in all three formats. Including the bonus tracks is a way to get you to buy the physical project instead of illegally downloading it but as you might have guessed, that approach isn't going to deter people from finding alternative means of obtaining those bonus tracks. In the case of the Drive-By Truckers, this approach is their record company's idea, not theirs.

The boxset market really does seem to have caught fire recently, the only way they can make much money sell hard copies these days I spose. Its maybe not my most sort after material(although I'm looking forward to the rest of the Wembley 74 show finally seeing the light of day) but both Darkside and Wish You Were's boxsets do look pretty interesting, not just yout typical album + vinyl you'll never play.

Its a shame the post Syd/Pre Darkside years don't seem to be covered as thats probabley the biggest goldmine for unreleased material, The Man/The Journey, the Zabriski Point Outtakes, tracks like Fat Old Sun and Embryo heavly reworked live etc. An offical release of one of the 77 shows would be great to hear aswell, the infamous final show espeically which dispite Waters negative expereince is a great performance.

You have to wonder how long Page is going to hold off releasing more material at this stage too, I didnt think we'd see anything from Floyd but endless repackaging of the same albums so maybe its finally time to open the vaults again?

None of their 1977 concerts were recorded, so there will never be an official release from that tour. The best you're going to get is bootlegs, and the best bootleg from that tour is Mr. Pig (Oakland; May 9th, 1977).

Also, The Man and the Journey, Zabriskie Point, and The Embryo are all available as bootlegs. Fat Old Sun is on Atom Heart Mother, but the live versions of that song are on bootlegs as well. So all of that is out there for people if they want it. It's unreleased but only in an official capacity.

• 1 month later...

NICK MASON TALKS PINK FLOYD REISSUES

Brought To You By VH1’s Dave Basner

Pink Floyd and EMI Music plan to put out both previously released and unreleased music from the band during a campaign called Why Pink Floyd. Over the next nine months, “Experience Editions” of the group’s records will come out featuring the original album and a second disc of related content from that effort. Drummer Nick Mason told us about his favorite bonus features.

“The alternate takes, the alternate versions of things were probably for me more interesting than the various different qualities and the various different formats that is one of the elements of these collections of discs.”

The legendary rocker went on to explain why he likes listening to the alternate versions.

“It’s that thing of revisiting things that you did and thinking, ‘Oh yeah, I can see how that led to that.’ And in my case, on one or two rare occasions, making that judgment… listening to something and going, ‘Oh yeah, well we improved on that,’ and then finding out that it was done afterwards so it’s a complete sort of reversal in my mind of what I thought.”

The music will also be available as “Immersion Box Sets” that boast CDs, DVDs, Blu-rays and memorabilia. The first re-release is Dark Side of the Moon, which comes out in various packages on September 26th. Learn more at PinkFloyd.com.

None of their 1977 concerts were recorded, so there will never be an official release from that tour. The best you're going to get is bootlegs, and the best bootleg from that tour is Mr. Pig (Oakland; May 9th, 1977).

Also, The Man and the Journey, Zabriskie Point, and The Embryo are all available as bootlegs. Fat Old Sun is on Atom Heart Mother, but the live versions of that song are on bootlegs as well. So all of that is out there for people if they want it. It's unreleased but only in an official capacity.

Has there ever been an "offical" statement about the 77 tour? Oakland would be my next favourite but the last show just has a savagery to it that we rarely heard in the latter years..

I'v had all this stuff on bootleg for years but its nice to see it get an offical release, tracks like Fat Old Sun and Embyro differ greatly from the studio recordings afterall and would I'd guess interest many casual fans.

An official statement meaning, has the band come forward and said none of the shows were professionally recorded? Not in so many words, no. However they have lamented over the years that none of their tours (from the classic era) were properly filmed/recorded. Of all the dates on the '77 tour, Oakland is the best, with Boston coming in a close 2nd. Boston's show was recorded by Dan Lampinksi, who also recorded their show in Boston on the '75 tour, so the quality is there. There are other sources circulating from that date, but his is the best I've ever heard.

Now, there are two video bootlegs out there of concerts they DID have professionally filmed, but scrapped because they didn't like it. One was in August of 1980 during the Wall tour (which you can see on YouTube), the other in November of 1987 during the Momentary Lapse of Reason tour (which you can also find on YouTube). They also did several performances for the BBC in the late 60s and 1970s that were obviously recorded, but they were never meant to be official releases or live albums. The three best are 1970, 1971, and 1974.

, the other in November of 1987 during the Momentary Lapse of Reason tour (which you can also find on YouTube).

I don't know if you made it to any of the "Momentary Lapse Of Reason" concerts, that was one of the top concerts of my life; 2 nights in Phoenix. Where are the best video boots from that tour in your opinion that show the lasers the best? Well, I suppose I should say 'all-around' good quality with lasers. And, do you know if any video boots exists from the Phoenix show, a friend of mine has it on audio, Been looking for years...

I find it very disappointing that PF have stooped to this level of fan exploitation. Sure, you don't have to buy this stuff, but many will, and most of them will be people who really can't afford it but feel compelled to own every last thing the band releases.

The fact that the 'Household Objects' experiments are finally being exhumed sums it up, IMO. When I spoke to DG about the project in the late 70s, he described it as a load of crap that was going nowhere, and would never see the light of day. Now it's being included as a tasty morsel in the WYWH package. How times change...

I don't know if you made it to any of the "Momentary Lapse Of Reason" concerts, that was one of the top concerts of my life; 2 nights in Phoenix. Where are the best video boots from that tour in your opinion that show the lasers the best? Well, I suppose I should say 'all-around' good quality with lasers. And, do you know if any video boots exists from the Phoenix show, a friend of mine has it on audio, Been looking for years...

I was five when they toured for AMLoR, so I wasn't able to go to any shows, though they spent plenty of time in Chicago on that tour. As for the Phoenix show, there's no video boots circulating that I know. The PF Concert Database is pretty much the final word on what exists as far as boots go (audio and video) and what doesn't, and they show no record of it. Doesn't mean it can't be out there somewhere, just that it's unlikely.

I was five when they toured for AMLoR, so I wasn't able to go to any shows, though they spent plenty of time in Chicago on that tour. As for the Phoenix show, there's no video boots circulating that I know. The PF Concert Database is pretty much the final word on what exists as far as boots go (audio and video) and what doesn't, and they show no record of it. Doesn't mean it can't be out there somewhere, just that it's unlikely.

Thank you.

Any back song and/or unreleased track by PF would be FAR better than that CRAP called The Wall:):):):):)

Couldn't agree more. Can't understand why or how anyone would want to listen to multiple versions of this overblown, over-extended and overrated buffoonery. I bought that live thing about 10 years ago - listened to it once. The best thing on there was Laughing Roger's 'Weak People' rant. Ever wondered why 'Comfortably Numb' is so popular? Cos it's the only decent song they've done since 1977.

Give me pristine versions of 'Vegetable Man' and 'Scream Thy Last Scream' anytime over this nonsense.

Couldn't agree more. Can't understand why or how anyone would want to listen to multiple versions of this overblown, over-extended and overrated buffoonery. I bought that live thing about 10 years ago - listened to it once. The best thing on there was Laughing Roger's 'Weak People' rant. Ever wondered why 'Comfortably Numb' is so popular? Cos it's the only decent song they've done since 1977.

Give me pristine versions of 'Vegetable Man' and 'Scream Thy Last Scream' anytime over this nonsense.

.......and CN is the only track I can bear to listen on The Wall:):)......NO I mean, how can anyone who knows Floyd well ever listen to The Wall after having listened to masterpieces like See Emily play, Careful with that axe Eugene, Arnold Layne, etc. I think poor Syd would be turning in his grave:(:(

Archived