Dispelling Myths About Where You Live.

Levee

Cornwall! [swoon] One of the most beautiful places I've ever been. Though I'd be nervous to drive there - all those narrow roads with blind curves and occasional fog. But oh my, what a place. When I visited last summer, it was fogged in for about 2 days. It was such a dreamy experience going around to ancient sites like Mên-an-Tol and Boscawen-Un under a misty veil. Zeppelin music and/or lyric fragments were often going thru my mind, their music seems conducive to the place (in Wales too).

DSCF0390.jpg

Hi Bro,all,

Just change the name,....if one looks into human history this is not new.

KB

It's not new to human history or other cities but, it's a major problem in this town . One that not too many get to see.

Although my husband and his friends used to call me a "bi-coastal kid" because I was partly raised on both coasts and my husband and I have spent a good part of our married life living outside the U.S., I was born (and for the most part) raised "on the isle of Manhattan" aka NYC - a place that has been greatly mythologized:

Not all of us moved there from somewhere else (and not all of us experience a sense of loneliness or alienation in the city) - one side of my family counts six generations who have continuously lived in Manhattan. Our neighborhood was a community with relatives, a family-owned restaurant, a family-owned bakery, church, school, dinners for the entire family at my grandparents every Sunday afternoon, etc. We had a neighborhood "Gladys Kravitz" and another older woman who would pour bleach on her front stoop to keep children and others from congregating there. One reason I was allowed to go alone with friends to concerts (including LZ) at such a young age was that family (grandparents) lived within walking distance of the venue.

Not all of us talk (or look or act) like Michael Bloomburg or Fran Dreischer...thanks to my father and aunts, I speak English without a NY (or any other strong regional) accent.

Not all of us are angst-ridden and neurotic like characters in a Seinfeld episode or a Woody Allen film.

Not all of us are loud, obnoxious or rude.

Not all of us "pretend" to be "cool" simply because we're from the city (and not all of us consider it to be the "cultural center of the universe" - some of us know better. ;) )

I don't want to dispel any of the myths about my current location - the myths are what keep too many people from discovering this place. ;)

I like this post, it's very interesant.

I live in Salamanca, Spain.

We are not like mexican. We don't have mexican accent. We don't have anything against mexican people, of course, but we are quite different each other :)

Most of us don't sing flamenco in the streets -well, some gypsies or "wanna-be-gypsy" do :lol: - or like bullfight. Indeed in Catalonia has been banished, I'm glad for it, it's a cruel and barbarous tradition. Few people like it nowadays, elder people above all.

I think these are the main myths foreign people have about my country...

Hi Bro,

Join the club.Now why would it be any different there?

KB

I think a lot of people have an image of Vancouver and it's not complete. Not making any political statement. Just pointing out the factsbut hey, if people are in fact well informed about this then I'll post a vid of a sunny day :P:lol:

I'm not sure what the myths are about where I live, but I'm sure I can top anything you can throw at me.

Are you referring to me or is "YOU" just a general statement meaning everyone here ?

The images of Detroit on the news are pretty haunting: loads of abandoned homes and packs of feral dogs roaming around. It resembles those "Earth After People" documentaries on Discovery and other channels, where they speculate how long it will take for the remnants of civilization to rot after humanity disappears.

Well! That's a cheerful thought.

• 2 weeks later...

In Yorkshire we do not all work down coal mines, or talk within via an unintelligible Norse inspired version of the English language. Or for that matter walk upon windswept moorlands looking for our Catherine's or Heathcliffs. In fact contrary to popular belief, we are quite cosmopolitan outward looking people nowadays.

In Yorkshire we do not all work down coal mines, or talk within via an unintelligible Norse inspired version of the English language. Or for that matter walk upon windswept moorlands looking for our Catherine's or Heathcliffs. In fact contrary to popular belief, we are quite cosmopolitan outward looking people nowadays.

[/

yeah, but do you make great puddings? ....... only joking! :D

I live in Boise, Idaho, United States.

Not all of us are farmers.

Not all of us raise farm animals.

We are not all hunters.

We are not all fishermen.

Not all of us are Mormon or Catholic (the two major religions).

Though our governor's name is Clement Leroy "Butch" Otter, no one else is named "Clem."

Not all of Boiseans smoke dope.

Not all Boiseans burn incense or smell like patchouli.

Not all Boiseans watch Boise State Football on the smurf turf (I do, but many of them have sworn of BSU ball)

Idaho isn't just the rich green forest; it also has a great range of other geographical ecosystems, including high desert.

Les Bois means "the trees," in some form of bastardized French.

Fur trappers were the first to settle the area I'm from--NOT the Mormons.

We don't all love potatoes.

We're not in the Midwest, we're in the Northwest. (Idaho/Iowa)

The Snake River Wineries offer some of the best vino in the US

A lot of us have higher education and work in white-collar jobs.

I'm not sure what else to add.

I live in the metro Detroit area, and yes, not only is Detroit every bit as bad as people think it is, it's worse. You can't comprehend the dilapidation, the hopelessness, the utter despair that it's so far beyond ever fixing. I believe it is beyond fixing, the suburbs are OK, but Detroit city proper should just be forgotten. Move everyone out of there, stop having the local governments try to figure out what to do with it. It's SO BAD and beyond repair.

Oh suck it up you Wuss !

The advantages to living in the Detroit area are endless ! Traffic jams are few and far between. What other city in America can you park for $3 bucks or nothing at all ? Our Art Museum is rated 3rd best in America....and The Henry Ford Museum is a must-see. You have another country on your door step, and you're surrounded by the best fresh water fishing in the world with the most pleasure craft to prove it. It's also called Detroit Rock City for a reason. We have 4 professional sports teams to follow and 4 distinct weather seasons to do it in. You've got local history up the yin-yang...The Battle of the Overpass....The Arsenal of Democracy....Henry Ford....Gar Wood...Joe Louis....Gordie Howe....Ty Fuckin' Cobb :slapface: !!

"From the rugged shores and woodlands, to the north's history

Of copper mines and iron ore, and the great lakes fisheries,

To the farm lands of the southern counties, we'll look around again

It all awaits the sporstmen in the state of Michigan.

Oh suck it up you Wuss !

The advantages to living in the Detroit area are endless ! Traffic jams are few and far between. What other city in America can you park for $3 bucks or nothing at all ? Our Art Museum is rated 3rd best in America....and The Henry Ford Museum is a must-see. You have another country on your door step, and you're surrounded by the best fresh water fishing in the world with the most pleasure craft to prove it. It's also called Detroit Rock City for a reason. We have 4 professional sports teams to follow and 4 distinct weather seasons to do it in. You've got local history up the yin-yang...The Battle of the Overpass....The Arsenal of Democracy....Henry Ford....Gar Wood...Joe Louis....Gordie Howe....Ty Fuckin' Cobb :slapface: !!

"From the rugged shores and woodlands, to the north's history

Of copper mines and iron ore, and the great lakes fisheries,

To the farm lands of the southern counties, we'll look around again

It all awaits the sporstmen in the state of Michigan.

It doesnt sound like you two will be meeting for a drink at the local Detroit watering holes anytime soon. ha. I have not heard good things either. My daughter's best friends parents are from the region though and she graduated from Michagan state. Now in Chicago. Known for the auto industry for sure, but the inner city he is probably pretty right on the money describing it from what pictures I have seen. I have only been to the airport to change planes. That is the extent of my Detroit visit. There are good and bad things about all cities. Detroit is poverty and crime stricken for sure. I have no reason to ever ggo there.. Would prefer to stay alive a bit longer. Lake Michigan is a beautiful place. My daughter used to her friends cottage there and all I know is she had to fly into Grand Rapids to get there.

The Mormons did not COME from Utah. Upstate New York was Smiths stomping grounds.

As well as no, we're not all Mormons.

You CAN get a drink here.

And no we're Not In Nevada. :blink: ....I actually used to get that question back in the old days tripping around. :slapface:

Glad I found this thread b/c I would love to set the record straight. Here in south Louisiana we DO NOT all:

- live on the bayou (maybe near one, but not on it)

- hunt alligators or eat alligators

- catch catfish with our hands

- speak so that sub-titles are needed

- have missing teeth

- have pet raccoons (but if I did have one, his name would be Rocky)

- get from place to place in a small flat bottom boat

- practice voo-doo

- live in trailers in the woods or swamps

- have smoked so much dope that our brains are fried

- WE ARE ALL NOT LIKE SWAMP PEOPLE!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!

There actually are highly educated people in South Louisiana, who have normal jobs and drive cars and go to grocery stores to get their food and go to restaurants. Just normal people like everyone else - we just live in a very unique area with a rich cultural heritage.

Archived