Teh Pizza thrad

TypeO

Hi all,

6th Century B.C.

At the height of the Persian Empire, it is said that the soldiers of Darius the Great (521-486 B.C.), accustomed to lengthy marches, baked a kind of bread flat upon their shields and then covered it with cheese and dates.

3rd Century B.C.

Marcus Porcius Cato (234-149 B.C.), also know as Cato the Elder, wrote the first history of Rome. He wrote about "flat round of dough dressed with olive oil, herbs, and honey baked on stones."

1st Century B.C.

In the translated version of "The Aeneid" written by Virgil (70-19 B.C.), it describes the legendary origin of the Roman nation, describing cakes or circles of bread:

"Beneath a shady tree, the hero spread

His table on the turf, with cakes of bread;

And, with his chiefs, on forest fruits he fed.

They sate; and, (not without the god's command,)

Their homely fare dispatch'd, the hungry band

Invade their trenchers next, and soon devour,

To mend the scanty meal, their cakes of flour.

Ascanius this observ'd, and smiling said:

"See, we devour the plates on which we fed."

1st Century A.D.

Our knowledge of Roman cookery derives mainly from the excavations at Pompeii and from the great cookery book of Marcus Gavius Apicius called "De Re Coquinaria." Apicius was a culinary expert and from his writings, he provided us with information on ancient Roman cuisine. It is recorded that so great was Apicius' love of food that he poisoned himself for fear of dying of hunger when his finances fell into disarray. Apicius' book also contains recipes which involve putting a variety of ingredients on a base of bread (a hollowed-out loaf). The recipe uses chicken meat, pine kernels, cheese, garlic, mint, pepper, and oil (all ingredients of the contemporary pizza). The recipe concludes the instruction "insuper nive, et inferes" which means "cool in snow and serve!"

79 A.D. - In the ashes after Mount Versuvius erupted and smothered Pompeii on August 24, 79 A.D., evidence was found of a flat flour cake that was baked and widely eaten at that time in Pompeii and nearby Neopolis, The Greek colony that became Naples. Evidence was also found in Pompeii of shops, complete with marble slabs and other tools of the trade, which resemble the conventional pizzeria. The Museo Nazionale at Naples exhibits a statue from Pompeii which because of its stance is called I pizzaiolo.

16th Century

1522 - Tomatoes were brought back to Europe from the New World (Peru). Originally they were thought to be poisonous, but later the poorer people of Naples added the new tomatoes to their yeast dough and created the first simple pizza, as we know it. They usually had only flour, olive oil, lard, cheese, and herbs with which to feed their families. All of Italy proclaimed the Neapolitan pies to be the best. At that time, the Tavern of the Cerrigloi was a hangout for the Spanish soldiers of the Viceroy. It is said that they flocked there to feast on the specialty of the house - pizza.

17th Century

By the 17th Century, pizza had achieved a local popularity among visitors to Naples who would venture into the poorer sections to taste this peasant dish made by men called "pizzaioli."

18th Century

Queen Maria Carolina d'Asburgo Lorena (1752-1814), wife of the King of Naples, Ferdinando IV (1751-1821), had a special oven built in their summer palace of Capodimonte so that their chef could serve pizzas to herself and to her guests.

19th Century

1889 - Umberto I (1844-1900), King of Italy, and his wife, Queen Margherita di Savoia (1851-1926), in Naples on holiday, called to their palace the most popular of the pizzaioli (pizza chef), Raffaele Esposito, to taste his specialties. He prepared three kinds of pizzas: one with pork fat, cheese, and basil; one with garlic, oil, and tomatoes; and another with mozzarella, basil, and tomatoes (in the colors of the Italian flag). The Queen liked the last kind of pizza so much that she sent to the pizzzaiolo a letter to thank him saying, "I assure you that the three kinds of pizza you have prepared were very delicious." Raffaele Esposito dedicated his specialty to the Queen and called it "Pizza Margherita." This pizza set the standard by which today's pizza evolved as well as firmly established Naples as the pizza capitol of the world.

In the late 19th century, pizza was sold in the streets in Naples at breakfast, lunch, and dinner. It was cut from a large tray that had been cooked in the baker's oven and had a simple topping of mushrooms and anchovies. As pizza became more popular, stalls were set up where the dough was shaped as customers ordered. Various toppings were invented. The stalls soon developed into the pizzeria, an open-air place for people to congregate, eat, drink, and talk.

Pizza migrated to America with the Italians in the latter half of the 19th century. Pizza was introduced to Chicago by a peddler who walked up and down Taylor Street with a metal washtub of pizzas on his head, crying his wares at two cents a chew. This was the traditional way pizza used to be sold in Naples, in copper cylindrical drums with false bottoms that were packed with charcoal from the oven to keep the pizzas hot. The name of the pizzeria was embossed on the drum.

20th Century

NOTE: For many people, especially among the Italian-American population, the first American pizzas were known as Tomato Pie. Even in the present 21st century, present-day tomato pie is most commonly found in the Northeastern United States, especially in Italian bakeries in central New York. Tomato pies are built the opposite of pizza pies - first the cheese, then the toppings, and then the sauce.

1905 - Gennaro Lombardi claims to have opened the first United States Pizzeria in New York City at 53 1/2 Spring Street. Lombardo is now known as America's "Patriaca della Pizza." It wasn't until the early 1930s that he added tables and chairs and sold spaghetti as well.

1943 - Chicago-style deep-dish pizza (a pizza with a flaky crust that rises an inch or more above the plate and surrounds deep piles of toppings) was created by Ike Sewell at his bar and grill called Pizzeria Uno.

1945 - With the stationing of American soldiers in Italy during World War II (1941-1945) came a growing appreciation of pizza. When the soldiers returned from war, they brought with them a taste for pizza.

1948 - The first commercial pizza-pie mix, "Roman Pizza Mix," was produced in Worcester, Massachusetts by Frank A. Fiorello.

1950s - It wasn't until the 1950s that Americans really started noticing pizza. Celebrities of Italian origin, such as Jerry Colonna, Frank Sinatra, Jimmy Durante, and baseball star Joe DiMaggio all devoured pizzas. It is also said that the line from the song by famous singer, Dean Martin; "When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that amore" set America singing and eating pizzas.

1957 - Frozen pizzas were introduced and found in local grocery stores. The first was marketed by the Celentano Brothers. Pizza soon became the most popular of all frozen food.

21st Century

December 9, 2009 - The European Union established a ruling to protect Naples' Neapolitan pizzas. The EU's ruling said Neapolitan pizza was now part of Europe's food heritage, and that all pizzerias aspiring to supply and make the real Neapolitan pizzas must comply to strict traditional standards regarding ingredients and preparation that include using only San Marzano tomatoes and fresh buffalo mozzarella cheese. This protect status will enable producers to not only boast about their exclusivity, but also charge a premium for the pizza.

Hey Type O. I wanted to apologize for my comment earlier. I realize that other people are entitled to their own opinions and that I shouldn't just hate on everybody who disagrees with what I think. I got carried away while typing that post.

Sincerest Apologies,

Starbreaker

Thanks.

No blood, no foul. lulz.

And again, this wasn't to suggest in the least that franchise stuff carries any weight compared to the types of pizzas described here.

Sometimes it's as simple as a matter of math - at a particular time, I might can afford a $6.99 pizza I have a coupon for, but not really up for spending $15-$20 (or possibly more) for a gourmet pie.

I'm actually looking forward to indulging when the opportunity presents itself.

Also, I should admit that my best friend delivers for Domino's part-time so 90% of the time it's a pie he's hooked me up with, rather than one I actually went out and purchased.

FREE makes up for a little. lulz.

I love pizza and you really have to work hard at messing it up.

My all time favorite is the stuffed pizza at Giordano's in Chicago. I even ordered it online and had it shipped to my house a few years ago.

Pizza and sex: Even when it is mediocre, it still is damn good.

• 1 month later...

Pizza and sex: Even when it is mediocre, it still is damn good.

Where does the pizza come with you - before, during or after? Or all three?

I'd rather have a great pizza with mediocre sex than vice-versa.

Being in Italy I eat lots and lots of pizza and consider it the only Italian "Fast Food"! :D One of my faves is also one that make all my Italian friends cringe, I call it the Brooklyn Special, a "white" pizza (pizza and mozzarella w/ no sauce) hot dogs, fries with kethcup an mustard.

24enar5.jpg

I feel sorry for those who have to suffer with limited choice such as dominos...dominos pizza is perpetrating a fraud calling itself pizza IMO. Nothing like a fresh baked pie on Arthur Avenue in the Bronx NY. Take your pick on what you like...I like it Naples style...

pizza.jpg

Being a Bronx Boy myself, I agree100%...although, I love Patsy's on 118th and 1st ave.

Pepperoni or plain cheese for me. Don't like to drown pizzas with toppings. Takes away from the flavor. Actaully, never had white pizza, but sounds good. It's topped with ricotta cheese and without sauce if I'm correct?

Yes, I think there are some variations with assorted cheeses. I'm not too much of a topping guy, I'm always with cheese and pepperoni. White is very good, greasy though.

Also, whats you guy's favorite franchise pizza place? I love Papa Johns, Dominos is a second, but Papa Johns is way better.

Where does the pizza come with you - before, during or after? Or all three?

I'd rather have a great pizza with mediocre sex than vice-versa.

That is a question you will not know the answer to. pwnd.gif

And, as for your second statement, you are speaking only for yourself. sarcastic_hand.gif

And DMachine, I posted earlier that it is hard to mess up a pizza... I stand corrected... you have gone and done that in a big way. tongue.gif

That is a question you will not know the answer to. pwnd.gif

And, as for your second statement, you are speaking only for yourself. sarcastic_hand.gif

And DMachine, I posted earlier that it is hard to mess up a pizza... I stand corrected... you have gone and done that in a big way. tongue.gif

:thumbsup:

I'm speaking for my wife too. Good food is far more important to us than good sex - which is just as well :(

Of course, to enjoy the ultimate pizza experience, one has to visit Scotland, or more specifically the Glasgow area. Their unique take on the classic theme is to take a pizza, and deep-fry it in batter. And then wash it down with a decent bottle of red, called Buckie

Archived