Fast Times At Ridgemont High

Brad Hamilton

Fast Times Poll  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your favorite character in "Fast Times At Ridgemont High"?

• Brad Hamilton
    • Jeff Spicoli
    • Mark "Rat" Ratner
    • Stacy Hamilton
    • Mr. Hand
    • Linda Barett
    • Mike Damone
    • Mr. Vargas
  2. 2. What was the best line in the film?

• Jeff Spicoli: People on 'ludes should not drive!
    • Mike Damone:... And five, now this is the most important, Rat. When it comes down to making out, whenever possible, put on side one of Led Zeppelin IV.
    • Mr. Hand: What are you, people? On dope?
    • Brad Hamilton: Jeez. Doesn't anyone fucking knock anymore?
    • Jeff Spicoli: Heading over to the Australian and Hawaiian internationals, and then me and Mick are going to wing on over to London and jam with the Stones!
    • Brad Hamilton: I shall serve no fries before their time.
    • Mike Damone: You are a wuss: part wimp, and part pussy.
    • Jeff Spicoli: All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine
    • Stacy Hamilton: When a guy has an orgasm, how much comes out?
    • Linda Barrett: A quart or so.
    • Brad Hamilton: Mister, if you don't shut up I'm gonna kick one hundred percent of your ass!
    • Jeff Spicoli: Well Stu I'll tell you, surfing's not a sport, it's a way of life, you know, a hobby. It's a way of looking at that wave and saying, "Hey bud, let's party!"

Hey anyone else a fan of this film? I can't believe it's been almost 30 years since it came out.

I thought some people might want to discuss this film written by a big Zeppelin fan. I believe this was the first film where Jimmy and Robert allowed one of thier songs to be included in the soundtrack.

I love the film, it always brings a smile to my face and good memories of "good times"

Yeah, it's a classic. I have it on tape. Funny how the teen boys are in and out in 10 seconds.

'Was it good for you?'

:D

The whole cast is good.

B)

Reminds me of an old joke that goes:

Women might be able to fake orgasms, but men can fake whole relationships

.:)

Women fake orgasms? :slapface:

:lol:

A great triple feature I'd like to see at the local theater:

Fast Times At Ridgemont High

Napoleon Dynamite

The Last American Virgin

B)

Edited by redrum

• 5 years later...
On 5/23/2011 at 6:39 PM, Strider said:

Another of my favourite scenes is when the kids come and ask Damone if he has Blue Oyster Cult tickets, and Damone says "No I don't have any Blue Oyster Cult tickets...where were you 3 months ago? I was THIS close to working at 7-11."

He said he ate 37 Pairs where were u 3 months ago? I was this close to working at 7-11...

• 3 years later...

Loved that movie, it came out in my freshman year of HS', 1982 so it was quite relatable. The Last American Virgin really pissed me off at the time because it was kinda the story of my life (the virgin guy who gets shit on). I was super small for my age and looked about 10 years old in my freshman year so, so love for me. I did not grow until my senior year, went from 5'3" in 1984 to almost 6' by 85'. Talk about awkward and my mom was pissed because she thought she was going to have to pay for all the new clothes. I had a job at the local Alpha Beta bagging groceries and getting shit on by the manager so I told me mum no worries, I can buy my own clothes. That made momma happy 🙂 

I had such a crush on Jennifer Jason Leigh, still do in fact. Now she is an odd duck in real life. Married once, briefly and has one kid, lives alone with her dog and kid and just reads all day. Saw an interview where she said she is a serious introvert, does not like to be around people except while acting. Still think she is the bees knees though.

I remember when Fast Times came out and all the reviewers were having a hissy-fit saying the movie was exploitive, misogynistic, etc. and all my friends were just dumbfounded by this. At least for me and my friends Fast Times was a very accurate portrayal of HS life for middle and upper-class white kids. As in spot-on accurate. You cannot reflect society and then have others judge you for an accurate reflection. Of course it was exploitive and misogynistic because that was what it was like at the time.

Edited by BobDobbs

6 hours ago, Stryder1978 said:

Phoebe Cates got a LOT of guys through puberty with that scene......

I always thought Jennifer Jason Leigh way hotter.  

Cates has the kind of body that will keep any guy happy through the first two months of summer. But Jennifer had the kind of body that will take you all the way through the long winter and back to spring.

spacer.png

6 hours ago, BobDobbs said:

Loved that movie, it came out in my freshman year of HS', 1982 so it was quite relatable. The Last American Virgin really pissed me off at the time because it was kinda the story of my life (the virgin guy who gets shit on). I was super small for my age and looked about 10 years old in my freshman year so, so love for me. I did not grow until my senior year, went from 5'3" in 1984 to almost 6' by 85'. Talk about awkward and my mom was pissed because she thought she was going to have to pay for all the new clothes. I had a job at the local Alpha Beta bagging groceries and getting shit on by the manager so I told me mum no worries, I can buy my own clothes. That made momma happy 🙂 

I had such a crush on Jennifer Jason Leigh, still do in fact. Now she is an odd duck in real life. Married once, briefly and has one kid, lives alone with her dog and kid and just reads all day. Saw an interview where she said she is a serious introvert, does not like to be around people except while acting. Still think she is the bees knees though.

I remember when Fast Times came out and all the reviewers were having a hissy-fit saying the movie was exploitive, misogynistic, etc. and all my friends were just dumbfounded by this. At least for me and my friends Fast Times was a very accurate portrayal of HS life for middle and upper-class white kids. As in spot-on accurate. You cannot reflect society and then have others judge you for an accurate reflection. Of course it was exploitive and misogynistic because that was what it was like at the time.

Being a So Cal native Fast Times was a great film for us here.  So many things in there very accurate to the era. So many locations we were all very familiar with.  Everybody had a Spicolli or a Hamilton or a Mr Hand that they knew.

Jennifer was very sexy in that film. She portrayed a certain innocence, but we all knew she was a wildcat underneath--- which I guess was how she really was. The director (Amy Ketterling) said that in the pool house scene between her and Dimone, Leigh was willing to have done even more sexually explicit things than the director was asking for.

So, you bagged groceries at Alpha Beta?  One of SoCals many former grocery chains.  But did I hear you say you refer to your mother as " me mum"?  I've never heard anyone from SoCal say it like that who wasn't from the UK or Jamaica.

LOL  - no worries.  But your phrasing reminded me of the basement scene from Inglorious Basterds when the undercover British officer used the wrong fingers to ask for 3 glasses in  a way Germans would not do... and we all know how that ended up.... hehe

Now if you had said, "my moms"--- then that is how the brothers would say it.  And if you said, "my mah" that could be either East coast (NYC, Boston, Philly) or southern and/or Midwest, but not SoCal.

Factoid:  Alpha Beta grocery stores started in Pomona California 100 years ago.  The owner decided to use "Alpha Beta" (first two letters of the Greek alphabet) because in their store they stocked everything alphabetically-- assuming easier for shoppers to find.  So: applesauce, then bleach, then canned carrots, then dish soap--- and so forth.  What a terrible idea, and it didn't last that way for long.

When I was a kid there was a grand opening for a new Alpha Beta down the street (around 1966) and the sign said that there would be a "special appearance by Batman" from the TV show.  Turned out to be very disappointing, as it was just some pot bellied flunky with coffee and cigarette breath in a Batman costume.  Always hated Alpha Beta after that. Like "The Dude" (Big Lewbowski) we shopped at Ralphs.

spacer.png

Edited by kipper

• 1 year later...
On 1/12/2021 at 7:04 AM, BobDobbs said:

Why does Linda have a mustache? Interesting.

That is not a mustache. It's just that the artist made Linda's lipstick a weird color.

Coincidentally, we're all sitting around right now watching "Fast Times at Ridgemont High". Learnin' about Cuba. Havin' some food.