President Obama in Ireland

Strider

President Obama is visiting Ireland this week, beginning today. I was hoping that some of the Irish board members here could provide some firsthand reports. From what I've seen so far, it looks like the Irish love him.

I just hope he doesn't wimp out like the Royals did and not drink the Guinness. Drink it, Barry!

P.S. This thread is about Obama's trip to Ireland. You want to bash the President, take it somewhere else!

Only after having the real stuff from Ireland and are too drunk to tell the difference. tongue.gif

Not according to all the Paddys I used to work with on London Building Sites in the 70s, I prefered Bottled Guinness, way more taste than the drawn stuff in my opinion.

Regards, Danny

Half Irish, and I drank Guinness till it came out me ears Mel. ;)

Regards, Danny

PS, That's 50% Irish, not the 3% Mr President claims to be, to be sure. :lol:

Well then, I like you already. So you are just 1/2 Lymie.tongue.gif

I am Irish but my family came over during the potato famine so I am a watered down, ex-Guinness drinker girl from Texas.

And I guess stout goes with ear wax.

The missus doesn't look convinced :lol:

Hey, at least she took a nip. Did you see that clip of the Queen and what's-his-name during their trip to Ireland last week? They both stared at the pint as if it was an alien. They looked ridiculous.

If being a royal means you can't have a bit of Guinness in public, then you can have the job.

One-half Irish, myself.

Well then, I like you already. So you are just 1/2 Lymie.tongue.gif

I am Irish but my family came over during the potato famine so I am a watered down, ex-Guinness drinker girl from Texas.

And I guess stout goes with ear wax.

Yes Mel thats me, Half Lymie/Limey Half Paddy, ancestors go back to Clonakilty, Connemara and Ulster, a right mix of rural paddys if ever you saw one. My Grandad, whos name was George, and was born on Orangemans Day hated the English with a vengence but only ever drank light and bitter, never ate stew and although he visited Ireland once he never wanted to go back because he missed his jellied eels to much, an East End Tradition of which I never liked, Pie and Mash and Green Liquor is another matter though. ;)

Regards, Danny

I realize Obama is checking out his Irish roots, but for the life of me, I don't see any Irish in his branches, leaves or bark! ;)

Couldn't spot any potential relatives either. I think he must've dyed his hair.

9213de31dc9849809fd82f7c125bfbd2b094675c.jpg

Maybe here,

66f794f5eb260e89531d3c5cf23af1309865ca6e.jpg

Well, Obama does kinda have leprechaun ears.

His great-great (there might be another great in here) grandfather was from Moneygall, Ireland so O'bama is too Irish. Look at him quaffing down that Guinness like he was born to it.

He also spoke a little Irish Gaelic when the Irish PM visited him a couple years ago. He said "Is feider liom" (yes we can)

The guy is alright in my book. I wish he was nicer and more respectful to our lovely British allies though. WTF did he mean by recently telling Sarkozy that France has been the U.S.'s greatest ally. Jayzuz, you could almost hear Churchill turning over in his grave. Aside from giving us the Statue of Liberty 100+ years ago, our relationship w/ France has been a bit rocky since then.

Hey, at least she took a nip. Did you see that clip of the Queen and what's-his-name during their trip to Ireland last week? They both stared at the pint as if it was an alien. They looked ridiculous.

If being a royal means you can't have a bit of Guinness in public, then you can have the job.

One-half Irish, myself.

What's-his-name would be the Queen's husband, the Duke of Edinburgh. It's actually against protocol for the Queen to drink in public, unless it's a toast. So even if she wanted to down the pint, she wasn't going to. At least not in public.

One-half Irish, myself.

It's hard on the waistline, so I don't blame her. But if you're having fish and chips it goes nicely with Guiness. Reminds me of a time sitting on the sand at the beach to a late lunch of that day's fresh catch and a Dos Equiis in a paper bag. And no one from the beach patrol mentioned a thing. Still the best meal ever by far.:suntan:

What's-his-name would be the Queen's husband, the Duke of Edinburgh. It's actually against protocol for the Queen to drink in public, unless it's a toast. So even if she wanted to down the pint, she wasn't going to. At least not in public.

I know his name and title. ;) I was just being a smart-aleck because I hear so many people refer to Prince Philip as "what's his name" when discussing Queen Elizabeth.

The second most asked question regarding the Queen's hubby is why is he a prince and not a king?

The short answer being that marriage confers no royal rank or privileges upon the male. But it does a woman. Hence, a man marrying a Queen can't be King, but a woman marrying a King can be Queen.

Archived