Intelligent Design or Pure Chance.........

Walesdad

No way of proving this one catagorically one way or the other.I've got to admit that I waver between,"When you see some of the appalling things going on in the world,how can there be a God?",to "When you look at all the diversity of life on the planet and all the real beauty all around us,surely it can't be the result of pure chance".Anymore for anymore?

Hi all,

Those is a great questions!I say questions because they are,...

"When you see some of the appalling things going on in the world,how can there be a God?"

This,IMVHO this point is about human nature/imagination and in part free will.God didn't want slaves,if he did,...he would have made them.This is not our experience,is it?

"When you look at all the diversity of life on the planet and all the real beauty all around us,surely it can't be the result of pure chance"

A person of science will explain to you that is was -chance-,certain events happening at certain times,thus the 3rd rock form the sun evolved into life as we know it,...

KB

Is there a God? In my opinion, no. God is a human construct, created by people to explain things they had no way to understand at that time. Why is it dark at night and light during the day? God. Why do we have seasons? God. Why do those people suffer, while we don't? God.

I believe in evolution, I believe in the Big Bang Theory. I don't think some old man in flowing robes said "let there be light" and then flicked a switch. I don't believe it took just 6 days to create the world, nor do I think said world is only 6,000 years old.....not when there's metric ass-loads of fossils that are dated back millions of years. I believe there is water in other locations of this universe than just the Earth, and thus primitive life forms exist (microbes, bacteria, single-celled organisms), but I don't believe in alien life forms, little green men, spaceships, or any other kind of UFO.

I don't believe in "intelligent design" either, as it's a way for schools to pussyfoot around the issue of creationism vs. evolution. I went to a Catholic high school, we learned evolution. We were told that Christians and other religions have their own version of how the world came to be, but that we would be learning that in our Comparative Theology class and not our science class. Which is frankly, how it should be.

No way of proving this one catagorically one way or the other.I've got to admit that I waver between,"When you see some of the appalling things going on in the world,how can there be a God?",to "When you look at all the diversity of life on the planet and all the real beauty all around us,surely it can't be the result of pure chance".Anymore for anymore?

Neither.

Nothing happens purely by chance in the evolutionnary world. There are many evolutionnary mechanism, one of which is environmental constraints.

One major thing I cannot get away from is the "Big Bang" theory.I can accept that event may have indeed happened and I can accept that the event was the start of what came to be the universe we live in.But where did all the chemical particles of what caused that explosion come from?Part of me say's that they could not have just appeared from literally nothing.Nothing is exactly what it say's on the tin,nothing.So how did they get there?Chance?Pretty hard to believe that was the case in itself,so if not chance then someone or something had to have put them there,no?For me,this is when the can of worms has been opened.I don't know the answer and I do not believe "science" has all the answers either.

One major thing I cannot get away from is the "Big Bang" theory.I can accept that event may have indeed happened and I can accept that the event was the start of what came to be the universe we live in.But where did all the chemical particles of what caused that explosion come from?Part of me say's that they could not have just appeared from literally nothing.Nothing is exactly what it say's on the tin,nothing.So how did they get there?Chance?Pretty hard to believe that was the case in itself,so if not chance then someone or something had to have put them there,no?For me,this is when the can of worms has been opened.I don't know the answer and I do not believe "science" has all the answers either.

Hi Walesdad,

The Big Bang Theory was an UnHoly, UnGodly, Fart, its the only answer that you can believe in with any certainty. :wacko:

Regards, Danny

Science is not a home depot of knowledge. Science is a method, a tool for humans to acquire knowledge. The proper way to rephrase your sentence would be: "I do not believe mankind has all the answers either".

Science will never have "all" the answers to anything. Science advances only as far as the technology and the people using it allow it to. It's a constantly evolving thing. Just because there's no answer right now, doesn't mean that maybe 100 years from now there still won't be. We've learned so many wonderful things about human life, the universe, everything....just in the last 50 years. Imagine what we'll learn in the next 50 years.

Hey, you know that fancy-schmancy ignore list this site has? Use it instead of following me all over the site just to post stupid and snide remarks/smiley faces in response to whatever it is I've said, regardless of whether I was talking to you or not. It's getting old, and you're acting like a child.

Is there a God? In my opinion, no. God is a human construct, created by people to explain things they had no way to understand at that time. Why is it dark at night and light during the day? God. Why do we have seasons? God. Why do those people suffer, while we don't? God.

I believe in evolution, I believe in the Big Bang Theory. I don't think some old man in flowing robes said "let there be light" and then flicked a switch. I don't believe it took just 6 days to create the world, nor do I think said world is only 6,000 years old.....not when there's metric ass-loads of fossils that are dated back millions of years. I believe there is water in other locations of this universe than just the Earth, and thus primitive life forms exist (microbes, bacteria, single-celled organisms), but I don't believe in alien life forms, little green men, spaceships, or any other kind of UFO.

I don't believe in "intelligent design" either, as it's a way for schools to pussyfoot around the issue of creationism vs. evolution. I went to a Catholic high school, we learned evolution. We were told that Christians and other religions have their own version of how the world came to be, but that we would be learning that in our Comparative Theology class and not our science class. Which is frankly, how it should be.

Well you are in the minority and many smarter people than you say there is a God. You are entitled to your opinion. You can not disprove God exists any more than I can prove he does. I believe that after a thorough review of all things scientific and not, there is a better chance a supreme being exists. I do not believe in the old testament word for word. I do believe in the new testament and the resurection. And I am very confident there is other life out there but too far away to contact us. The big bang theory has alot of flaws. The expansion of the universe and the explsion and all make sense. I studied Astronomy in college. So I understand how it all works and how they measure distance to a star and what its made of and how old it is. But the big bang theory just like the extinction theories of dinosaurs, are just that, theories. So if you believe in a chain of events that lead to the big bang, you still must explain a beginning. You must explain how you get something from nothing. From a void. Cant do it.

Well you are in the minority and many smarter people than you say there is a God. You are entitled to your opinion. You can not disprove God exists any more than I can prove he does. I believe that after a thorough review of all things scientific and not, there is a better chance a supreme being exists. I do not believe in the old testament word for word. I do believe in the new testament and the resurection. And I am very confident there is other life out there but too far away to contact us. The big bang theory has alot of flaws. The expansion of the universe and the explsion and all make sense. I studied Astronomy in college. So I understand how it all works and how they measure distance to a star and what its made of and how old it is. But the big bang theory just like the extinction theories of dinosaurs, are just that, theories. So if you believe in a chain of events that lead to the big bang, you still must explain a beginning. You must explain how you get something from nothing. From a void. Cant do it.

Well you are in the minority and many smarter people than you say there was a Big Bang. You are entitled to your opinion. You can not disprove the Big Bang occurred. I believe that after a thorough review of all things scientific and not, there is a better chance the Big Bang occurred.

So if you believe in a chain of events that lead to God, you still must explain a beginning. You must explain how you get something from nothing. From a void. Cant do it.

You're actually reinforcing exactly what she's saying - when people can't explain something, they say "it must be because the magical invisible man in the sky wished it that way."

You're actually reinforcing exactly what she's saying - when people can't explain something, they say "it must be because the magical invisible man in the sky wished it that way."

I am just saying, how do you get something from nothing? Tell me? In a void where there is nothing? If you are going to say dust particles caused something to happen, where did the dust come from>? Come on?

Well you are in the minority and many smarter people than you say there was a Big Bang. You are entitled to your opinion. You can not disprove the Big Bang occurred. I believe that after a thorough review of all things scientific and not, there is a better chance the Big Bang occurred.

So if you believe in a chain of events that lead to God, you still must explain a beginning. You must explain how you get something from nothing. From a void. Cant do it.

:goodpost: well said!

exactly right. god created everything?

who created god?

chicken .... egg ...... oooh my head hurts!

One major thing I cannot get away from is the "Big Bang" theory. I can accept that event may have indeed happened and I can accept that the event was the start of what came to be the universe we live in. But where did all the chemical particles of what caused that explosion come from?

Hugh Ross, an astrophysicist, has written very persuasively on this topic. He again brings us into the philosophical implications. Ross says that, by definition,

Time is that dimension in which cause and effect phenomena take place. . . . If time's beginning is concurrent with the beginning of the universe, as the space-time theorem says, then the cause of the universe must be some entity operating in a time dimension completely independent of and pre-existent to the time dimension of the cosmos. This conclusion is powerfully important to our understanding of who God is and who or what God isn't. It tells us that the creator is transcendent, operating beyond the dimensional limits of the universe. It tells us that God is not the universe itself, nor is God contained within the universe.

You may also be interested to read Prof Stephen Hawking's new theory with regard to the Big Bang.

The best argument I've ever heard in support of intelligent design went something like this: to say our current existence is mere chance is to suggest that just given enough time and resources a fully functional Boeing 747 will assemble itself and take flight. The point is there has to be a higher power. We may never understand the purpose or meaning of life, nor how mankind came to exist, but it's still worth thinking about.

The best argument I've ever heard in support of intelligent design went something like this: to say our current existence is mere chance is to suggest that just given enough time and resources a fully functional Boeing 747 will assemble itself and take flight. The point is there has to be a higher power. We may never understand the purpose or meaning of life, nor how mankind came to exist, but it's still worth thinking about.

And who said that? Richard Dawkins.

Why there has to be a higher power? who said that? why life need's a meaning or a purpose? mankind came to exist with Abiogenesis and Evolution, no god nor higher power here.

Not only intelligent design, but VERY intelligent design.

I like to go to Vegas sometimes and play the odds, but the "chance" people need to believe in for us to have what is all around us, is just way too big of odds for me to believe. That kind of random chance is a religious faith in itself in my opinion. Because if you took just one factor out of the equation for the life we have on earth: there would be no life.

Call it a force or whatever you like. But if you can't see the intelligence in the design: then I don't think you have your eyes, or your mind open.

Hi Brad,

Is "Science" the New "Religion"?

I believe it is, because it has become a Belief System where some of its Theories are straight out of a Science Fiction Manual, Science is better understood when it relies upon Proof rather than Faith, and Faith is for Religious People not Scientists.

In My Honest Opinion.

Regards, Danny

Archived