Intelligent Design or Pure Chance.........

Walesdad

An interesting story I came across earlier today -- Tennessee passed a state law honoring the Ten Commandments. Why they'd waste time doing that I don't know, but let's see if they actually follow through with their beliefs and start passing blasphemy laws, criminalizing disrespecting your parents, banning working on the Sabbath, banning other religions aside from their version of Christianity, and criminalizing adultery.

Also, barring the worship of any other deities. Their god is a insecure and petulant god, who often stalks you, chain-calls you and hangs up. He'll beat up the other gods that you start talking to, and slash your tires when you go to worship at a different church.

In short, if he can't have you, he'll smite you. Because he loves you. CAN'T YOU SEE THAT HE LOVES YOU?

God: the original angry, drunken, abusive boyfriend.

Or Father maybe? :o

For someone who was brought up as a Catholic you are very Muslim in a Jewish kinda way. ;)

Regards, Danny

PS, It is very easy to trivialise what you cannot understand but that is no reason to continualy treat people with "Faith" as Interlectualy Inferior to yourself, so you suddenly Find Science and Lose God, do you really think that makes you a better person? because i see those people with "Faith" on this forum as much better Human Beings that the usual piss takers that ridicule them, this rant is not directed at just Electrophile but to all of the Interlectualy Retarded God Botherers. God be with you and all that sail in you. :P

An interesting story I came across earlier today -- Tennessee passed a state law honoring the Ten Commandments. Why they'd waste time doing that I don't know, but let's see if they actually follow through with their beliefs and start passing blasphemy laws, criminalizing disrespecting your parents, banning working on the Sabbath, banning other religions aside from their version of Christianity, and criminalizing adultery.

Also, barring the worship of any other deities. Their god is a insecure and petulant god, who often stalks you, chain-calls you and hangs up. He'll beat up the other gods that you start talking to, and slash your tires when you go to worship at a different church.

In short, if he can't have you, he'll smite you. Because he loves you. CAN'T YOU SEE THAT HE LOVES YOU?

God: the original angry, drunken, abusive boyfriend.

love this!

Or Father maybe? :o

For someone who was brought up as a Catholic you are very Muslim in a Jewish kinda way. ;)

Regards, Danny

PS, It is very easy to trivialise what you cannot understand but that is no reason to continualy treat people with "Faith" as Interlectualy Inferior to yourself, so you suddenly Find Science and Lose God, do you really think that makes you a better person? because i see those people with "Faith" on this forum as much better Human Beings that the usual piss takers that ridicule them, this rant is not directed at just Electrophile but to all of the Interlectualy Retarded God Botherers. God be with you and all that sail in you. :P

can't agree with you here, big dan.

i don't think people who don't believe in god think of themselves as superior at all. i respect that people really do believe what they do with all their heart.

and quite frankly, if anything, it's the other way around, in my experience. some people think that what i believe in is rediculous, and disrespect me for having my views. i'm not talking about just on this forum......

can't agree with you here, big dan.

i don't think people who don't believe in god think of themselves as superior at all. i respect that people really do believe what they do with all their heart.

and quite frankly, if anything, it's the other way around, in my experience. some people think that what i believe in is rediculous, and disrespect me for having my views. i'm not talking about just on this forum......

Hi Slave,

I was talking about the Piss Takers, not everyone who doesnt believe in God, we can all believe in what we want but there is no need or reason to continualy berate people who are believers as if they are lacking in inteligence as some do on here, not you but i'm sure you can see who the culprits are.

Kind Regards, Danny

Hi Slave,

I was talking about the Piss Takers, not everyone who doesnt believe in God, we can all believe in what we want but there is no need or reason to continualy berate people who are believers as if they are lacking in inteligence as some do on here, not you but i'm sure you can see who the culprits are.

Kind Regards, Danny

oh i know who the culprits are, dan.

but i just wanted to point out that there are just as many, if not more, who lean the other way.

jabes post ^^ is quite arrogant, imo.

What's wrong with honoring something? We honor the flag, we honor veterans, we even honor scientists who are atheists. I don't see anything wrong with honoring the 10 commandments or the code of Hammurabi for that matter. And it's not as if our Constitution, our Declaration of Independence and many other of our historic documents and institutions don't already have similar themes.

nothing wrong at all with honouring absolutely anything, so long as it does no harm to anyone. :)

perhaps electrophile was trying to point out how difficult it would be to enforce the laws she mentioned, in 2011 and beyond. :unsure:

and, not everyone believes in "god" or the bible, so why should it be made law at all? :blink:

but i just wanted to point out that there are just as many, if not more, who lean the other way.

Yes Slave, i get your point, me? i never burn all my bridges, if there IS a God then i dont want to piss him off by denying his existance nor do i want to appear uninteligent and deny the Scientists who say he doesnt exist, so i believe in GOOD.

I also like the Hypocratic Oath, "First Do No Harm", there will be many Deniers who will take the Last Rights, now how Hypocritical it that?

Kind Regards, Danny

Yes Slave, i get your point, me? i never burn all my bridges, if there IS a God then i dont want to piss him off by denying his existance nor do i want to appear uninteligent and deny the Scientists who say he doesnt exist, so i believe in GOOD.

I also like the Hypocratic Oath, "First Do No Harm", there will be many Deniers who will take the Last Rights, now how Hypocritical it that?

Kind Regards, Danny

hi dan

believing in ( and more to the point, doing ), good, is a great way to be. :)

Well I could understand that, but it might have been said in a better way.

I don't live in that state but to me it sounds like a reaction to other laws or law suits which seem to attack just about every aspect of the religious traditions in this society. I'm not saying that people should be forced to believe in anything, I may not even believe in all of it myself. But it's also a fact that there is a tradition with much of this that goes back even before our nation's founding. For example: in the Southwestern part of the country there are many places with crosses and other symbols on public buildings which goes back to the Spanish colonial times.. And then there are all these lawsuits to have these symbols removed because "some people" feel very bothered by that stuff.

Maybe if some people would chill out and stop complaining about things that are just traditions, then there wouldn't be this push back to make laws protecting what most people in this society aren't bothered by. Like Christmas trees and Menorahs. Why are some atheists so disturbed by these things?

yes, agreed!

over here in oz, some schools aren't allowed to call easter celebrations "easter". they call it "harmony day". and christmas trees are banned. not in all schools, but some. i think rather than "ban" the celebrations, why not celebrate them and all the other religious special occasions. :unsure:

What's wrong with honoring something? We honor the flag, we honor veterans, we even honor scientists who are atheists. I don't see anything wrong with honoring the 10 commandments or the code of Hammurabi for that matter. And it's not as if our Constitution, our Declaration of Independence and many other of our historic documents and institutions don't already have similar themes.

Probably nothing wrong with it, unless they take it further and criminalize adultery, blasphemy, disrespecting parents, working on the Sabbath and that kind of thing. You must wonder, what was their real intent by passing this law?

It's not about enforcing or creating any laws contained in the 10 commandments. Although, obviously murder and theft are enforced. I think the resolution in Tennessee was about allowing the 10 commandments (if counties wish to do so) to be displayed in county courthouses or other city buildings. Like I said before, if I had to guess this was a reaction to some lawsuit by some complainer who's whole day was ruined because they saw a copy of the 10 commandments displayed in a county building.

Post them all I say. 10 Commandments, code of Hammurabi, Magna Carta and Mr. Rogers' "Be a good neighbor" for all I care. Can't see where any of it should be a problem for anyone.

It shouldn't in certain contexts. I personally don't have a problem with stuff posted or displayed showing the historical context, etc. My problem is when somebody decides he/she has the right to shove their particular brand of whatever down everybody's throat. I live in Alabama, land of Judge Roy Moore, who did his bit with the huge granite (or marble, or whatever) Ten Commandments in the rotunda of the state courthouse. He made it quite clear he wanted to shove it down everybody's throat under the guise of claiming it was his duty.

I don't have a problem with a state deciding to pass a law 'honoring' something, except that most of those seem to be a waste of legislative time. Legislators may not have time to get a budget passed or b eable to find their asses with both hands but they can pass laws honoring anything, nothing, everything... but I digress.

Christianity is deeply embedded within the cultural fabric of many southern states, including Tennessee and Alabama. It's understandable that some folks feel the need to push against it, just as it's not surprising that legislators would find the time to pass laws 'honoring' what is already steeply entrenched within the culture.

(Note to self-- why, oh why, am I replying in this thread?)

Yes, quite arrogant/pompous, but not intolerant.

Here's the deal:

Organized religion not in the equation.

The order in the universe and what a fleck we are in the finite we believe to understand in an infinity beyond our comprehension.

Something steadfast within me tells me this is no accident, or pure chance.

It makes not a wit to me what anyone else believes.

Spidersandsnakes,governments have no money except what they accrue from taxpayers.As a taxpayer in the U.K.,where I am ripped off left,right and centre with a quarter of my wages taken away from me even before I get it,why the **** should I subsidise someone elses wife/partner/soul mate etc,so that she can stay home and more than likely produce more kids for the rest of the population to pay for? :slapface:

I see where you're coming from, but perhaps I wanted to say that govts should IMPOSE companies and employers in general to give workers a REAL UP_TO_DATE pay so that women won't have to abandon the kids and the family which will bring more strife to society by causing more divorces, motherless or fatherless children, crime, drug-pushing...and should I go on??!:):)...these things are burdens on our hard earned before-tax pays too:):)!!!!

I read above that families should be "responsible" for bringing up kids....that I agree with...methinx that many peope....TOO many couples.....are making babies like they're having coffee at the cafè....they just don't think about the "aftermath" of having kids and the burden tha goes with it and that causes a BIG BURDEN on society too:):):)

I read above that families should be "responsible" for bringing up kids....that I agree with...methinx that many peope....TOO many couples.....are making babies like they're having coffee at the cafè....they just don't think about the "aftermath" of having kids and the burden tha goes with it and that causes a BIG BURDEN on society too:):):)

Hi Spider,

Over here in the UK i think people know only too well what Benefits having a baby can bring, Dont need to sign on, Dont need to Work, Free House/Flat, Free Perscriptions and Dental Care, easier that doing it the Right Way. ;)

As far as i'm concerned if you cant aford to have a baby then the Government should either place the financial burden on the Mothers Family or take the baby away and give it to someone who can, not allow you to profit from acting irresponcibly, just my thoughts you understand?

Regards, Danny

Hi Spider,

Over here in the UK i think people know only too well what Benefits having a baby can bring, Dont need to sign on, Dont need to Work, Free House/Flat, Free Perscriptions and Dental Care, easier that doing it the Right Way. ;)

As far as i'm concerned if you cant aford to have a baby then the Government should either place the financial burden on the Mothers Family or take the baby away and give it to someone who can, not allow you to profit from acting irresponcibly, just my thoughts you understand?

Regards, Danny

I feel ya only too well......it's sad to have to take a baby away from it's legit mother....SO SAD....but in times like these, if people can't afford to have babies, they MUST NOT!!!:):). However, even in cases like in the UK where the govt steps in to help, that won't get the family with many kids safely to the end of the month, will it??!!!

Well, kids cost BIG £££ right? How can parents get along for themselves and the kids at the same time???!......REMEMBer, kids cost BIG £££:):)!!!!!

Hi Spider,

But why should the Goverment accept responsibility for them? If Parents are as irresponcible as to have kids they obviously could not afford why should the Government bail them out?

I had a friend who had 7 kids while working and being looked after by the state, his Mrs also had another 3 kids, neither paid tax and were just parasites on the state, needless to say they didnt remain friends with me for long.

Regards, Danny

Hi Spider,

But why should the Goverment accept responsibility for them? If Parents are as irresponcible as to have kids they obviously could not afford why should the Government bail them out?

I had a friend who had 7 kids while working and being looked after by the state, his Mrs also had another 3 kids, neither paid tax and were just parasites on the state, needless to say the didnt remain friends with me for long.

Regards, Danny

Hold on..I'm NOT defending those 'culprits'...what I'm saying is would they make it through the month with the money for them and their numerous kids in any case?? I don't think so!! So they're fools 2 times not one:)!!!

I know of a family in Italy (where the govt hands out 1000 euro for each new born!!) that made 10 kids just to get a house and money from the govt. At a certain point, they couldn't make it anyway and the husband started to shoplift and went to jail :):)

Hold on..I'm NOT defending those 'culprits'...what I'm saying is would they make it through the month with the money for them and their numerous kids in any case?? I don't think so!! So they're fools 2 times not one:)!!!

I know of a family in Italy (where the govt hands out 1000 euro for each new born!!) that made 10 kids just to get a house and money from the govt. At a certain point, they couldn't make it anyway and the husband started to shoplift and went to jail :):)

Hi Spider,

Glad you're on side mate, i don't blame the people that do this, i blame the Governments the world over for allowing it to happen, i once thought it was just the UK but now it seems its Europe as well, maybe there are even more countries that dish out welfare as well, the World has turned upside down, no wonder the Armed Forces have to recruit as far a field as Fiji, because not enough recruits in the UK come up to standard, what a degenerate race we are becoming hey?

Regards, Danny

As the ancient Epicurus has realised, there can be no god and evil at the same time! On Earth we have evil, so there can be no god, because god is perfect in all aspects, which means also perfectly good and so there would be no evil, if he would exist!

He could create a world without disease, natural disasters and accidents,.... and he could also create only good people and free will would still exists, becasue there are deterministic philosophical theories that tell, that a man can be both defined and free! So your genes and your environment define you as a good person, that will for example never kill anyone, but does that mean you are not free!!?? You are free, because even if you are defined, you still make every single decision in a free manner!!

And the Bible describes the Cristian God as a horrible being! Some of the values that are in the Bible are important yes, but this are values that exist as long as humanity and their aim is, to make society work in the best possible way for everyone, but a lot of people don't follow that!

But the problem is, that the Bible, especially the old testament is a catastrophy! It has so much violence, sexism and it supports slavery, which is something that is pretty much happening in this crazy, animalistic capitalism of today, which needs goverment regulation!

The Biblical God is very violent and envious, he wants violence from his people, women are treated as all evil and inferior too men, slavery is supported and the Bible has been used many times through history to advocate slavery, in the American civil war for example!

The stories are many times illogical and tell nothing, the Bible demands capital punishment in very violent ways many times and at the same times you got one of the most important values in there, that the human life is sacret! There is also no proof for Biblical events, so those are lies and at the same time the Bible tells don't lie, which ofcourse is a very important value!

The new testament is better, but the problem is, that it relates to the old testament, that it also supports slavery, that sometimes Jesus demands violence and that a lot of the stories teach nothing, even if they talk about love and goodness and only modern psychology, sociology, art and philosophy can really make a difference!!

The Bible also makes people meek and puts them on their knees and tells them not to make anything out of themselves, but instead be tiny little worthless toads, that give all they got to the church and pray for the afterlife, which ofcourse is nonexistent, because god is nonexistent, in the presence of evil!

So what the world needs is atheism and strong ethics!!

As the ancient Epicurus has realised, there can be no god and evil at the same time! On Earth we have evil, so there can be no god, because god is perfect in all aspects, which means also perfectly good and so there would be no evil, if he would exist!

God lives in Heaven, which will remain, even though the earth may pass away.

Archived