100 Greatest Blues Guitarists

Stevie Ray Vaughan's ranking at #3 in particular shows the true nature of the list. Seriously, a Hendrix imitator, with a one-dimensional schtick wearing those hats poncho and boots, pretending to be some kind of traveling blues nomad, gets placed as the third "greatest" blues guitarist? Seriously? Over Robert Johnson, who essentially INVENTED the blues guitar as we know it.

I just want to point out that Robert Johnson did not invent blues guitar (although when you add the "as we know it" part you're getting closer). I say this because Johnson had plenty of contemporaries who were just as good, take Blind Lemon Jefferson. They just haven't had the pleasure of being cited by dudes like Eric Clapton as "the most important blues singer who ever lived". I'll say that I also would have put Hendrix somewhere on the list based on the strength of "Red House". As it goes, if one were to make a list of "greatest blues guitarists" and solely used the factor of influence, than you could make a case for just ranking it by earliest to latest (because there really isn't a way to measure influence except by word-of-mouth - which is why doing a list like that is almost impossible).

Where is Howlin' Wolf? That's my question.

Edit: Also here's the link to the site where the list was taken from: http://www.digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_bluesguitar.html.

Archived