Does a recording Perth 72 really exist ?

lynxwizard

I remember a few years back there was talk of a Perth Soundboard and soundcheck that existed, The rumor was the show was recorded for a radio broadcast that was never aired.

Cant remember what site it was (think it might of been here) but there was a topic on this and it was dropped, I inquired and was told the reason was 'To help with the release of this show', strange.

Anyone know anything about a possible recording of this show ?

I remember a few years back there was talk of a Perth Soundboard and soundcheck that existed, The rumor was the show was recorded for a radio broadcast that was never aired.

Cant remember what site it was (think it might of been here) but there was a topic on this and it was dropped, I inquired and was told the reason was 'To help with the release of this show', strange.

After thinking about it the topic was on this site, looks like not talking about it did not help in its release if in fact there are tapes, not sure but I thought also I heard that Page got wind of these tapes and tracked them down and he has them now, again not sure about that

G'day

As far as I know (and I play golf with a guy who won tickets for the show at Subiaco Oval) it was promoted by FM radio and Channel 7 TV, and professionally recorded to be aired on the radio. No one I know in Perth can recall it ever being aired, but Australia in the 70's were strict on non-Australian music on the radio (apparently) so AM & FM consisted mostly of home grown talent. This statement comes from a mate who grew up here. Perhaps some Aussie forum members can elaborate further on Australia back then. Back to the Perth Show, I reckon the soundboard exists, and would love to hear it as Perth is my 'adpoted' home town. Strange that it hasn't filtered out into the boot scene though in the practically 40 years since the show.

As a by line, the State Premier at the time authorised a raid on the bands hotel by the drug squad...and all they came away with were autographs!! As it turns out, the Premier was the grandfather of my last boss at work...spooky!!

I look forward to more facts on this thread.

Kind regards everyone from Perth, Western Australia.

After the Perth concert they reportedly visited a local night club and ended up jamming on favorites, including Elvis Presley's 'Teddy Bear'.

No recording has surfaced and I've been unable to confirm the name of the night club.

• 2 weeks later...

G'day

As far as I know (and I play golf with a guy who won tickets for the show at Subiaco Oval) it was promoted by FM radio and Channel 7 TV, and professionally recorded to be aired on the radio. No one I know in Perth can recall it ever being aired, but Australia in the 70's were strict on non-Australian music on the radio (apparently) so AM & FM consisted mostly of home grown talent. This statement comes from a mate who grew up here. Perhaps some Aussie forum members can elaborate further on Australia back then. Back to the Perth Show, I reckon the soundboard exists, and would love to hear it as Perth is my 'adpoted' home town. Strange that it hasn't filtered out into the boot scene though in the practically 40 years since the show.

As a by line, the State Premier at the time authorised a raid on the bands hotel by the drug squad...and all they came away with were autographs!! As it turns out, the Premier was the grandfather of my last boss at work...spooky!!

I look forward to more facts on this thread.

Kind regards everyone from Perth, Western Australia.

I'm sorry but your mate has been spinning you a story. Perth did not have an FM radio station in 1972. The first commercial FM radio station in Perth was 96fm Stereo which first broadcast in August 1980. Incidentally they were the first radio station in Perth to break the news of John Bonham's death and interrupted their programming schedule to play Led Zeppelin for an hour. The first FM station in Perth was narrowcaster 6UVS-FM, which broadcast only classical and jazz music, in 1977. There was no FM radio network in Australia in the 1970s either. Australia's first commercial FM station was 3EON (now Triple M) in July 1980 (Yes, that's how far Australia was behind with the rest of the world). There is no way that an FM station or network could have possibly taped and broadcast the show when the medium didn't exist.

The website statement that an FM recording exists of this show is thus nonsense.

Only 3 AM stations in Perth in 1972 would possibly have covered that concert - 6PM, 6IX, and 6KY. Before being sold to a christian broadcasting association in 1976 and playing insipid "nice and easy" music for years, 6KY was the heavy rock/prog rock radio station in Perth, playing Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Yes, etc at night and more commercial stuff during the day like Status Quo and Pilot. When the station was sold to new management, their entire rock music archive with carts was sent to the tip at Balcatta. Sad but true. Although they may have reported on it, I doubt they recorded the entire concert or broadcast it though - they never did live concert broadcasts. 6IX might also be a candidate - they were owned by the TVW Ltd and shared studio facilities in Tuart Hill at the time. They later moved studio facilities to Mandurah in the mid-1980s with a change of ownership. Their radio format consisted mostly of sports - local WAFL football, horse racing, trots, etc mixed with Top 40 pop and soft rock, nothing too heavy. Although they may have reported on it, I don't think they would have broadcast Zeppelin either. 6PM was affiliated with Channel 9. They carried syndicated programmes like eg. Wolfman Jack at night, and Casey Kasem's American Top 40 on weekends, and had talkative jocks like Lionel Yorke and Gary Shannon. They played mostly Top 40 pop and dance, nothing too heavy. Like the others, they may have reported on it, I don't think they would have broadcast Zeppelin.

Sydney AM station 2SM covered the Australian tour. They did a short studio interview with Robert Plant and Jimmy Page, which later went to air but there is no known broadcast of any Led Zeppelin concert during that tour. There is of course the GTK footage in Sydney which has appeared on boots and on an edited 2003 DVD, but that's the only official recordings I'm afraid. There was a search for more ABC-TV footage in their archives but nothing further was found.

After the Perth concert they reportedly visited a local night club and ended up jamming on favorites, including Elvis Presley's 'Teddy Bear'.

No recording has surfaced and I've been unable to confirm the name of the night club.

It's entirely possible you can't confirm the name of the club, because nobody gives a shit.

It's been nearly 40 years.

Hi Steve,

Going by the information in this link, it looks like the night club was the Latin Quarter.

http://www.shirleysm.../home/biography

good detective work there, fortuna!

there is a link to contact shirley, so maybe someone may want to write and ask her if she did jam with zep .

Hi slave to zep,

I have never heard of Shirley or the Latin Quarter before as it was a bit before my time.

It certainly would be interesting to hear about her guest appearance though.:)

Hi slave to zep,

I have never heard of Shirley or the Latin Quarter before as it was a bit before my time.

It certainly would be interesting to hear about her guest appearance though.:)

yeah, i hadn't either.

are you going to write to her?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived