High School

lzzoso

Most people should be able to relate to this topic one way or another. Especially Americans and I say Americans because all (most) American kids have to go to public or private schools from the age of 5 all the way to 17/18. Elementary (K - 6), middle or junior high (7 - 8) and high school (9 - 12). Some states and school districts are different in their grades (K - 5), (6 - 8). You get the picture. Now I don't really know the educational systems in other countries for the rest of the world.

Anyway, I actually went to two different high schools. My freshman and sophomore years were spent at Parkway North High School in Creve Couer, Missouri (a middle to upper middle class suburb of St. Louis). Parkway being the name of the school district. Parkway North was a great high school that was huge for a school and it was pretty relaxed back then when it came to the students have certain freedoms (no hall passes, had a smoking lounge, etc...).

During the summer after my sophomore year my dad (and mom) worked for Southwestern Bell Telephone Company (as it was known back then) got transferred to New Jersey (of all places, I thought at the time). Hillsborough, New Jersey in fact. I had to literally start a new life in the middle of my teenage and high school years. Easy enough but still hard for me because I had to leave all my friends in St. Louis that I had known since the 4th grade. I remember getting stoned on my very first day of my junior year at this new school. Not such a good idea because my mouth got really dry, I was very nervous and the water fountains at the school only produced warm water. I had to go to the office and talk with whoever about where I needed to go for homeroom. And that was just my first day.

I will say that once I got acclimated to my new school and surroundings, I became friends with all the "popular" kids and had alot of fun. I graduated from Hillsborough High School in 1989.

Of course I have dozens, if not hundreds, of good times and stories I had in both high schools. I also had some bad times too. Luckily for me the good times outweighed the bad times 100 to 1.

What about you? Good Times? Bad Times? Any Times?

On my first day of high school a friend of mine was stabbed in the chest by a Mexican gang member. My friend had a punctured lung but he survived. He didn't even know the guy who stabbed him and there was no reason for the attack other than my friend was a surfer.

That was a bad time.

Sounds like a gang initiation rite. Some people will do anything to become a member of a gang.

On my first day of high school a friend of mine was stabbed in the chest by a Mexican gang member. My friend had a punctured lung but he survived. He didn't even know the guy who stabbed him and there was no reason for the attack other than my friend was a surfer.

That was a bad time.

We used to sneak off campus at lunch time everyday and drink beer. We all had fake I.D.s and could buy beer (Coors) at a local drive through dairy. We always had Led Zeppelin playing on the tape deck and everytime I hear the song 'Misty Mountain Hop' it reminds me of high school.

Those were good times.

When I was 16 I worked at a take out chicken place and my buddy and I would always cook too much chicken on Friday nights because the owner's son who was the night manager would make us take it home so that he wouldn't get in trouble with his father in the morning. So we would show up around midnight at parties with buckets of chicken for all of our drunk/stoned friends. Sometimes we would trade fried chicken for pot or pizza.

Your Good times remind me alot of my first high school. Instead of sneaking off and drinking beer we would sneak off and smoke joints or hit the pipe (weed) or do a few bong hits and then make it back into school and "enjoy" the rest of the school day.

The bad time you mentioned sucks. I am an American of Hispanic descent (not a redneck as I have been called) but a Mexican-American and I have never been exposed to any kind of violence in my life beyond the occasional schoolyard fight.

High school was fantastic. I went to a Catholic, all-girls, college preparatory school, so I was surrounded by basically 1,000 girls like myself -- studious over-achievers. It was great, because it pushed me to do even better in school than I had before I got there. I wouldn't have done anywhere near as well in college as I did if I had gone to some other high school, especially a public school. Public schools within the city of Chicago were and are complete trainwrecks, and you'd have to go to the suburbs to find any public schools worth a damn (New Trier, Niles).

There were tons of slumber parties, sleepovers, meetings at the HIP (a mall near the school), after-school functions.....no one was bereft of things to do when they were done with their homework.

I wish I could have gone to my 10-year reunion last year, but finances and the fact I no longer live in Chicago kept me from going, but I am planning on going to my 20-year reunion.....in 9 years. :lol:

High school was fantastic.  I went to a Catholic, all-girls, college preparatory school, so I was surrounded by basically 1,000 girls like myself -- studious over-achievers.  

Boy oh boy. :rolleyes:

That's not how I remember Catholic Girls Schools. My girlfriend in HS went to one and most I met were wild party girls. Seems they were supressed in a way that gave them the impluse to get crazy and busy at any opportune time. Anthony Keidis got it right !

1sh7op.jpg

catholic-school-girls-and-the-whole-apple-a-day-thingy-goes-demotivational-poster-1273417235.jpg

In the U.K it was called Secondary School and by God I couldn't wait to leave it at 16.I've never,ever wanted to go back.

Me too (I graduated at 17) - our high school was built for double-use as a bomb shelter

35888115.jpg

and had almost no windows, just being inside there was worse than some of the prisons I've seen.

High school was a bit ordinary as it was an all boys school and caning (corporal punishment) was dished out on a daily basis.

The girls school was next door so it wasn't all bad except if one was caught "out of bounds" talking to them and that was a caning offence!

I was glad to see the back of it and no doubt they were happy when I left too.

I went to one of the biggest high schools in the US. At the time of my attendance it was THE largest student count in the country. Over 9,000. 7 Floors, elevators, and escalators. It was a city within itself, and extremely diverse. Our school was also the first in the nation to have metal detectors in the entrances of the school. We had kids coming from both Manhattan, and the Bronx. We had extreme racial issues. Unwritten rules were enforced.

If you were white, you did not eat in the cafeteria. I learned that the hard way lol...Blacks and whites came in from the main entrance, latinos through the 4th floor entrance. You break this rule you risk your life. I was lucky for the simple reason I was a decent baseball player, and because of that I had a pass almost anywhere I'd gone.

It was a tough time. Drugs (crack in particular) were ramped, the birth of rap, the Bronx rebuilding it's burnt out phase. Tension's where high, and learning inside came second to surviving on the outside.

High school was fantastic. I went to a Catholic, all-girls, college preparatory school, so I was surrounded by basically 1,000 girls like myself -- studious over-achievers. It was great, because it pushed me to do even better in school than I had before I got there. I wouldn't have done anywhere near as well in college as I did if I had gone to some other high school, especially a public school. Public schools within the city of Chicago were and are complete trainwrecks, and you'd have to go to the suburbs to find any public schools worth a damn (New Trier, Niles).

There were tons of slumber parties, sleepovers, meetings at the HIP (a mall near the school), after-school functions.....no one was bereft of things to do when they were done with their homework.

I wish I could have gone to my 10-year reunion last year, but finances and the fact I no longer live in Chicago kept me from going, but I am planning on going to my 20-year reunion.....in 9 years. :lol:

I also went to a private Catholic, all boys school in my case. McQuaid Jesuit High School. The all girls school in the area is Our Lady Of Mercy. Both schools were great in sports. When I graduated in 1975 the tuition was $850 a year. It is now $6000 to go to the same school. Some famous people that went there and had ties there, the field goal kicker from the Chicago Bears, Bob Thomas, a former reciever of New Orleans, Goodall, or Good well, forget the spelling. Jeff Van Gundy, and there were more that I cannot recall. It is a very well respected school as is Aquinas, the arch rival.. It was tough in those days. Homework every night. And they could physically whip your ass if you were out of line. One big math teacher, who is now deceased, was known to pick a student up desk and all and toss him into the hallway. Another would dangle the poor little shit out of the window on the second floor saying "are you going to forget to do your homework again?"

Those were some willd times for me. B) One incident I remember is when someone called in a bomb threat and made everyone wait out in the parking lot for a couple hours while police checked for a bomb. Turned out to be a fake as they didn't find one and no bomb exploded.

I went to a very posh English private school, boys only. This was a shock to me, cos I was expecting to go to the local grammar school with some of my mates. But I did so well in the '11 Plus' exam that I was given a free place at this school, where I didn't know anyone at all (current cost around $20k pa). They used to give free places to the top 5 or 6 '11 Plus' candidates in the county every year. Before that, I was accustomed to coming top of the class in everything without making any effort, so I thought I'd struggle to keep up with my new mega-brained peers. But no, I continued coming top B).

Despite the grandeur of the surroundings, drugs were rife. One kid got thrown out aged 13 for having heroin substitute in his desk. And this was 1974 :D. Fortunately, the only violence was psychological.

I can confirm the comments above about private Catholic girls' schools. Our sister school was full of prissy teasers, but the girls at the local Catholic school were gaggin' for it, and always had a condom or five in their purses.

'All the way, that's the way they go...' :P

Oh, there were lots of girls at my high school who fit the stereotypical "Catholic school girl" mold, but they also made honor roll every quarter. So these were girls who liked to have a good time, but could also write a 20-page paper on comparative theology and get an A.

On the other hand, I know girls who went to other Catholic schools in the city (Mother Guerin, Resurrection, Madonna, Good Counsel), who were basically whores in plaid skirts, many of whom had to drop out to take care of the 2-3 kids they had before graduation.

Graduated in the early 70's, a white middle-class community. Not a good experience for me. Anti-semitism and just a general bad environment. Lot's of kids smoking, taking drugs, drinking and I suspect bad home lives. They took out their frustrations on unpopular classmates. A lot of the smoking, drinking, etc started in 8th and 9th grade. I never had a drink of alcohol until my senior year. Oddly enough, I had a fair number of acquaintances, but few close friends. I was one of the younger members of my class. It's only in recent years that I realized how the age difference may have had an impact on how I dealt with things and visa versa.

These days, I'm in touch with a lot of people from high school. I've managed to maintain a healthy weight and appearence, be one of the more successful and became financially secure. (Unlike a lot of them.)

Little Billy by The Who

Little Billy was the fattest kid in his class

Always the last in line

All the other little kids would laugh at him

Said he'd die before his time

Ha ha ha ha

Ha ha ha ha ha

Little Billy didn't mind

Most of the kids smoke cigarettes

Just to prove that they were cool

The teacher didn't know about the children's games

And Billy always followed the rules

Ha ha ha ha

Ha ha ha ha ha

Little Billy didn't mind

Billy was big on the outside

But there's an even bigger man inside

Ten million cigarettes burning every day

And Billy's still doing fine

Now Billy and his classmates are middle-aged

With children of their own

Their smoking games are reality now

And cancer's seed is sown

Ha ha ha ha

Ha ha ha ha ha

Little Billy's didn't mind

Most of them smoke maybe 40 a day

A habit Billy doesn't share

One by one they're passing away

Leaving orphans to Billy's care

Ha ha ha ha

Ha ha ha ha

Ha ha ha ha ha

Little Billy doesn't mind

Ha ha ha ha

Ha ha ha ha ha

Little Billy's doing fine

What was it about Catholic girls that makes young guys crazy? Forbidden fruit or the the mixture of sexuality and Catholic guilt?

I don't know...for me, it may have been a simple case of Catholic school girls were usually Catholic; which meant they were usually Irish; which meant there were quite a number of redheads.

And I love redheads...am completely GONZO over redheads. Always have, always will.

Still there was that skirt...that Catholic school girl skirt made everything hotter. You could put one on Janet Reno...

Oh, there were lots of girls at my high school who fit the stereotypical "Catholic school girl" mold, but they also made honor roll every quarter. So these were girls who liked to have a good time, but could also write a 20-page paper on comparative theology and get an A.

On the other hand, I know girls who went to other Catholic schools in the city (Mother Guerin, Resurrection, Madonna, Good Counsel), who were basically whores in plaid skirts, many of whom had to drop out to take care of the 2-3 kids they had before graduation.

Sad the way the females were so demeaned there.

Archived