As Long As I Have You

mckjuana

As Long As I Have You, in my opinion was one of the standout songs on their early sets.

The energy and raw power in this song was tremendous, and the level of exploration it afforded them was great.

I have an old bootleg double CD from the 27 April '69 Fillmore show, which contains a relatively clear version:

http://www.discogs.com/Led-Zeppelin-Live-At-Fillmore-West-April-27-1969/release/1780309

I have only heard about two other versions of it though, and I was wondering what people's opinions are on the best version for performance and also for sound quality?

This is one of those songs that the I would love to think exists as a studio outtake somewhere in Jimmy's archive, though the reality is that the amount of time spent in the studio for LZ1 means it probably doesn't.

So it looks like I will have to make do wtih the Garnett Mimms original and the few bootleg version I have.

The 4/27/69 version is the definitive version, in terms of both sound quality and performance. 4/24/69 is high energy but inferior sound quality. The recently unearthed 1/5/69 version is also pretty good.

If you're a fan of the song then you might also want to check out versions by http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j41Jp2A7S6o, The Junco Partners (1965), and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TAdjKYwU0Q.

Robert Plant also performed it several times with The Priory Of Brion.

The three versions already mentioned are certainly the best sound quality. Another really strong performance (possibly my favourite) is 26.4.69 Winterland, which also features the first performance of WLL. The sound's not too good, though.

Actually the 27 of april is considered the best version of all.

Worth mentioning the 1/23/69 Boston and the 27/05/69, also are good but not as 27 of april.

When Zep wrote more songs this set was substitute with songs of Led Zep II.

• 2 weeks later...

The April 27 version is probably my favorite as well as the night before from Winterland. The Winterland version may have more of a higher energy performance but the sound quality isn't quite as good, but not too bad.

Thanks for the suggestions gents.

I have subsequently downloaded a few more versions. There's a great (probably SBD) recording from another Fillmore show from 24th April I think - its the dancing avocado release. The recording is decent quality, The drums sound amazing and have that LZ1 or LZ2 crispness. The bass is a little in the forefront and could do with some tweaking to soften it down abit, and Robert's vocals are a tiny bit lost in the mix. But its still great to hear different versions of the early live stuff.

Its testament to the skill of this band, and their improvisational abilities, that the same song 3 days later is radically different in structure and almost 5 minutes longer.

Listen to the original version of the song and you will see that Jimmy is replicating two guitar parts AND a horn section.

and some might argue he's doing a better job :)

I'm very familiar with the original song. I first heard it on a great cd called the roots of led zeppelin, released about 10 years ago with Uncut magazine, I believe.

Listened to some of the pre-Zep versions. Really liked the Garnett Mimms and Boston Crabs versions. Amazing how Jimmy and the rest of the band took this song to another level.

I agree, its just a shame that its not better documented.

The april 24th is one of my favorite zep live tracks ever. Agreed, the drums sound amazing. Moment after moment is riveting. I definitely prefer it to the 27th, though I'm not saying that one isn't good too ...and the 27th has a clearer sound quality.

You do have to pay attention to which boot of the 24th you get though. Earlier on there was only the inferior sounding version (that I first heard on my bootleg collection boxed set I bought in the mid-90s...whatever that was called).

just as an FYI to anyone who is interested.

I have just officially retired my old double CD bootleg of the 27.4.69 show in favour of a version I was able to locate (download) online called "The Devil's Blues", which is a remastered DVD Audio rip. Its a splice of mostly soundboard with some audience recordings to fill out some of the blanks.

So far Ive only heard As Long As I Have You (entirely sbd) and it sounds absolutely amazing.

I thought my original version was the best sounding one I was going to get but knocks it for 6!

I'm curious to hear what they've done to the edit in The Lemon Song.

caveat: I'm basing this off one track alone at the moment but the instruments are all levelled perfectly, the sound has been cleaned up, the volume levels are constant and don't ever drop.

Archived