The Mothers Of Invention

redrum

Most of that album was recorded in 1965!!! Way ahead of its time. Sir Paul McCartney famously said that Brian Wilson's Pet Sounds inspired Sgt. Pepper but Brian said Freak Out inspired Pet Sounds! Then Zappa puts out We're Only in it for the Money, with a Sgt. Pepper parody album cover. I think Flower Punk is the first punk rock song.

Rest in peace, Edward (Eddie) Nalbandian

articles.latimes.com/2006/feb/28/local/me-nalbandian28

Edward G. Nalbandian (December 29, 1927 – February 22, 2006) was the owner of Zachary All Clothing, a store he opened in the 1950s at 5467 Wilshire Boulevard (just west of La Brea Avenue) in Los Angeles, California. The store was located in the Miracle Mile shopping district of Wilshire Blvd.

In the 1950s and 1960s, Nalbandian became a minor celebrity, making frequent appearances in commercials for his store and even on talk shows such as The Tom Duggan Show. Most of these commercials featured the line "Come on down to 5-4-6-7 Wilshire Boulevard". In one commercial, Nalbandian said of his low prices, "My friends all ask me, 'Eddie, are you kidding?' And I tell them no, my friend, I am not kidding." This inspired the Frank Zappa song Eddie, Are You Kidding? from the album Just Another Band from L.A. (1972), as well as Mark Volman's monologue to the audience in the track Once Upon a Time from the album You Can't Do That on Stage Anymore, Vol. 1 (1988).

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Nalbandian

He'll always be Zachary All to us.

By Cole, Benjamin Mark

allbusiness.com/north-america/united-states-california-metro-areas/443937-1

In the 1960s, Nalbandian rivaled Cal Worthington as a TV fixture-pitchman.

The man remembered by millions as Zachary All pulls his hand out of his pocket, brandishing a thimble on the pinkie finger. "Yeah, I still do tailoring," he says, in the earnest voice instantly familiar to native Angelenos and old timers.

"You gotta keep your overhead down. Besides, I like doing it."

Before there was C&R Clothiers, before Men's Warehouse and back when television was black-and-white, there was Zachary All: the clothing store on the Miracle Mile strip of Wilshire Boulevard.

A seemingly ubiquitous figure when Southland television was young, Zachary All - whose real name is Edward Nalbandian - was a pioneer in broadcasting, an entrepreneur who staked his wad that pitches from the sets of early local talk shows, such as Joe Pyne, Tom Dugan, and Hank Weaver, would attract customers to the Miracle Mile.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nalbandian himself became a celeb of sorts, and found himself in late-night haunts with stars from the TV chats. "Lenny Bruce is not what you think," avers Nalbandian today, holding forth from a cramped office at the back of his store, still at the same location on Wilshire. "He was quiet. We would go over to Canter's (the restaurant-deli) after a show, have a cup of coffee, and he was almost reserved. A really nice guy."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFvWvfKqgwA

"Just Another Band From LA" is my favourite Mothers album...yes, even over Live from the Fillmore East and the others. It doesn't get the critical respect other Mothers albums get, but to me it's the peak of the Flo n Eddy period.

Maybe it helps if you lived in Southern California at the time, for the album is rife with LA references...Zubin Mehta(conductor of the LA Philharmonic at the time), Cal Worthington Dodge, Ralph's supermarkets, the Johnny Carson Show, LAPD Chief Reddin, and Zachary All (referenced in both "Eddie, Are You Kidding?" and "Billy the Mountain").

In fact, "Billy the Mountain" is 30 minutes of the most hilarious music performance art I've ever heard...and it still holds up today.

Studebaker Hawk FOREVER!

"Just Another Band From LA" is my favourite Mothers album...yes, even over Live from the Fillmore East and the others. It doesn't get the critical respect other Mothers albums get, but to me it's the peak of the Flo n Eddy period.

Maybe it helps if you lived in Southern California at the time, for the album is rife with LA references...Zubin Mehta(conductor of the LA Philharmonic at the time), Cal Worthington Dodge, Ralph's supermarkets, the Johnny Carson Show, LAPD Chief Reddin, and Zachary All (referenced in both "Eddie, Are You Kidding?" and "Billy the Mountain").

In fact, "Billy the Mountain" is 30 minutes of the most hilarious music performance art I've ever heard...and it still holds up today.

Studebaker Hawk FOREVER!

With his stunning wife, Ethel, a tree...yeah, that album had me :hysterical:

Caution - song contains language suitable for mature audiences only.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1mR8ZakiD4&feature=relatedhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmqrO8ghPqw&feature=relatedhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZ1Jge3itBE&feature=related

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived