Jimmy Plays With Donovan

crabbygirl

Bummer, I was thinking about going to this, but just never got round to it, due to lack of time and money!

Oh well, win some, lose some....

Perhaps last night's event will ultimately be made available as an official dvd release.

Jimmy Page Rocks Surprise Appearance at Donovan ShowThe pair performed Donovan's classic 1965 album 'Sunshine Superman' in London

Jimmy Page joins Donovan on stage at Royal Albert Hall, London, June 3, 2011.

Photograph by Virgilio Fino/Govinda GalleryBy Ravi Somaiya

June 4, 2011 10:30 AM ET

Backstage at London’s Royal Albert Hall last night, as the psychedelic folk-rock legend Donovan prepared to go on stage, a woman wheeled a harp hurriedly through a corridor, a Buddhist monk in flowing robes pressed fake pearls into the hands of passing strangers and a security radio crackled to life. “When Jimmy goes on,” said a concerned-sounding male voice to nobody in particular, “it’s going to be very, very loud, okay?”

At that moment Jimmy Page – in a black short-sleeved shirt and black jeans, his shoulder-length gray hair tied in a very small ponytail – sauntered past, head down. Page, and his black Gibson Les Paul Custom, had been called into service to help Donovan, his arranger John Cameron and the London Contemporary Orchestra, to recreate his classic 1965 album Sunshine Superman virtually note-for-note for the thousands who had crammed into the venue.

“In 1965, Jimmy had just left the Yardbirds and hadn’t started on Zeppelin yet," said Donovan, who resembled a particularly spry woodland faun in a flowery shirt and waistcoat. "So we hired him to do a session at Abbey Road.” The price, for three hours on the album’s title track, was 13 pounds.

Before Page appeared on stage to reprise his work, ominous spotlights hit the Royal Albert Hall’s ceiling and the orchestra played a portentous low note. Though Page’s cameo was supposed to be a surprise, word had spread and fans were already on their feet. “Hurry up!” yelled one, moments before Page arrived. With legs spread wide, left foot tapping and his head bopping, Page joined the band in a wailing rendition of "Sunshine Superman," arching his back as he pushed down on his guitar’s gold Bigsby vibrato arm. It was, as predicted, loud.

The 100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time: Jimmy Page

After an end-of-show encore, and a Page-assisted version of "Mellow Yellow" (with dark accents and blues inflections that made you ponder why he missed that session) the men retreated to a roped-off indoor tent in the bar of the nearby Gore Hotel.

“Though he’s known for his power guitar, Jimmy is a real folk aficionado,” said Donovan, sipping a flute of Beaumont des Crayères champagne. Page, sat to his right amid piles of cushions in the snug tent, agreed. “A lot of my songs were written on the acoustic guitar. And so much of the first album of Led Zeppelin was acoustic too.”

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/jimmy-page-rocks-surprise-appearance-at-donovan-show-20110604

“In 1965, Jimmy had just left the Yardbirds and hadn’t started on Zeppelin yet," said Donovan, who resembled a particularly spry woodland faun in a flowery shirt and waistcoat. "So we hired him to do a session at Abbey Road.” The price, for three hours on the album’s title track, was 13 pounds.

After an end-of-show encore, and a Page-assisted version of "Mellow Yellow" (with dark accents and blues inflections that made you ponder why he missed that session) the men retreated to a roped-off indoor tent in the bar of the nearby Gore Hotel.

Donovan's recollection is wrong; Jimmy was still doing sessions. In fact, Jimmy's first performance with The Yardbirds wasn't until June 21, 1966 at the Maquee in London.

Donovan's recollection is wrong; Jimmy was still doing sessions. In fact, Jimmy's first performance with The Yardbirds wasn't until June 21, 1966 at the Maquee in London.

Donovan and Ronnie Wood seem to be a bit memory challenged when it comes to Zeppelin, don't they?

Donovan and Ronnie Wood seem to be a bit memory challenged when it comes to Zeppelin, don't they?

Yes, though I appreciate it was all a blur back then. In fact I think that makes something like this weekend all the more special. They're all taking nothing for granted now.

Yes, though I appreciate it was all a blur back then. In fact I think that makes something like this weekend all the more special. They're all taking nothing for granted now.

Agreed, I'm glad the invitation was extended and I'm even more glad Jimmy accepted...

Fairport Convention were formed in 1967.

Two years after Donovan started to weave his magic.

No doubt he was an influence on them.

I love Donovan's music. That said, he wrote his own songs and did a few covers, but recorded very few folk songs--actually none, unless you count Guthrie's Car Car. Fairport wrote their own songs but also recorded many electric versions of English folk songs (hence folk rock), as did bands like Pentangle and Steeleye Span. I don't think Donovan was much of an influence on any of them.

Anyway, back on topic--many thanks to Donovan for making this manifestation possible, and let's hope it sparked Jimmy's taste for what it feels like to play live in front of a huge crowd. ;)

Oh, and regarding a potential DVD of the night--Britt Ekland was complaining on Twitter about the camera dolly going back and forth throughout the show, to the point that she walked out, so it was certainly all filmed. (And no, I do not "follow" Britt Ekland on Twitter! :D )

from Tight But Loose

Jimmy Page made his first live UK appearance in three years last night when he joined 60’s folk rock legend Donovan at his Sunshine Superman performance at the Royal Albert Hall in London. Dave Lewis files this exclusive on the spot report for TBL.

In a move that mirrored the events of 21 years ago (see latest DL Diary entry), at very short notice yesterday afternoon I zipped in to London to attend Donovans’ Sunshine Superman performance at the Royal Albert Hall.

The first half of the show saw the 1960’s folk rock legend running through some of his greatest hits. He commenced proceedings with acoustic performances of Catch The Wind, Colours and Buffy St Marie’s Universal Soldier. He was then joined by the London Contemporary Orchestra conducted by John Cameron and soon had the receptive crowd with him every step of the way as he ran through Jennifer Juniper, Hurdy Gurdy Man, Goo Goo Barabajagal,There Is A Mountain and Mellow yellow.

The second half featured the complete performance of his 1966 album Sunshine Superman. Early in this part of the set he explained how he began recording the record in 1965 in Abbey Road Studios with a young session guitarist – ‘and it’s great to have him here tonight- please welcome Jimmy Page’’

Jimmy entered stage right dressed in black shirt to a rapturous reception. Strapping on a Gibson Black Les Paul Custom with Bigsby arm, he accompanied Donovan on the track Sunshine Superman. Strumming along on the descending chord sequence he then opened up with a neat solo as the chorus came in. Smiling and waving to the crowd he then left the stage. Donovan went on to perform the entire album accompanied by the orchestra and guests including Shawn Phillips on sitar and his son Donovan jr.

Before performing the uplifting finale of Atlantis, Donovan acknowledged the band and guests and Jimmy briefly came on to take the applause. That appeared to be the end of the evening but as the crowd gave Donovan a standing ovation he remained on stage and announced they were going to reprise the title track and once again Jimmy entered proceedings strapping on the Gibson as they once again ran through the jaunty Sunshine Superman with all and sundry on stage.

This was the cue for the TBL editor to make something of a Who/Kids Are Alright leap of faith from the stalls area down to the front and very soon I found myself directly in front of Donovan and Jimmy at the front of the stage. It was a tremendous thrill to be in such close proximity to the guitarist – not unlike the view I had in Cologne on the Over Europe tour all of 31 years ago this month.

After a triumphant Sunshine Superman, they all remained on stage for a rousing reprise of Mellow Yellow – this had Jimmy running through the strutting rhythm of the song smiling at Donovan and leading into a solo. Finally at the close of it all, Donovan and Jimmy embraced and they ambled off stage right as the crowd bayed for yet more.

This time it was all over.

To summarise: It was an absolute joy to see Jimmy Page once again adorn a stage with guitar in hand. He looked relaxed and full of smiles throughout. It was a real privilege to be in attendance at this celebration of the music of Donovan – a legendary folk/rock artist who in acknowledging his heritage, inspired a unique reunion with the guitarist who first lit up his Sunshine Superman album back in the mid 1960s.

‘’They call me mellow yellow – quite rightly”.

It’s that refrain that will be ringing in my ears all weekend as I recall the memorable events of the night Jimmy Page returned to a UK stage.

[Plus some great Dave Lewis pics]

June-3-010-Copy.jpg

June-3-011-Copy.jpg

I love Donovan's music. That said, he wrote his own songs and did a few covers, but recorded very few folk songs--actually none, unless you count Guthrie's Car Car. Fairport wrote their own songs but also recorded many electric versions of English folk songs (hence folk rock), as did bands like Pentangle and Steeleye Span. I don't think Donovan was much of an influence on any of them.

Anyway, back on topic--many thanks to Donovan for making this manifestation possible, and let's hope it sparked Jimmy's taste for what it feels like to play live in front of a huge crowd. ;)

Oh, and regarding a potential DVD of the night--Britt Ekland was complaining on Twitter about the camera dolly going back and forth throughout the show, to the point that she walked out, so it was certainly all filmed. (And no, I do not "follow" Britt Ekland on Twitter! :D )

It's all a matter of opinion and supposition and while I like all the bands you mentioned, especially Steeleye Span, Donovan leaves them all way behind.

Influence or not.

Google it and according to many sources on the web, Folk - Rock was invented in the USA?

Shall we agree to disagree?

BTW, Jimmy has played enough over the last couple of years, so if he hasn't got the hunger by now he never will.

It's all a matter of opinion and supposition and while I like all the bands you mentioned, especially Steeleye Span, Donovan leaves them all way behind.

Influence or not.

Google it and according to many sources on the web, Folk - Rock was invented in the USA?

Shall we agree to disagree?

BTW, Jimmy has played enough over the last couple of years, so if he hasn't got the hunger by now he never will.

Let's do that. (But I don't need to Google it, I grew up with it. :D And it wasn't a question of who's better than who. Like I said, I love Donovan's music, and have done since I first saw him on Ready Steady Go, got all his albums.)

Has Jimmy really played that much, though? Put it this way, he hasn't played anywhere near me!

Archived