Television Commercials

lzzoso

We all know and have probably seen over tens of thousands of American t.v. commercials so far in our lifetime. Obviously the older you are the more you have probably seen. I will admit that I am not familiar with other countries television and their programming and/or commercials.

I almost always change the channel when a commercial comes on during whatever show I happen to be watching. I admit that I am stubborn and set in my own ways and refuse to pander to the American commercial. If you have over 500 channels to choose from it is virtually impossible to completely ignore the typical American t.v. commercial. I already know what I want and know what I like. I do not need some commercial to persuade me to buy anything.

With that being said, the only times I have ever let a commercial change or sway my ways is when it comes to food. I saw a commercial a few weeks ago for "On the Border" for unlimited enchiladas for $7.99. The other time was because I saw a commercial for "Red Lobster" for the unlimited shrimps for something like $14.99. Good deals to me because I love to eat.

Besides that, I honestly cannot say that any of the thousands of commercials I have seen have ever really made be go out and buy their "product". I know that that may not be factually accurate, but I really cannot think of anything else at this moment (when I do I will post it here in this topic).

What about You?

In the U.K. there are four channels (BBC 1,2,3 and funnily enough 4) that show no commercials whatsoever.I hardly watch TV these days,but with the honourable exception of TCM,anything I do watch is usually on those channels.I cannot abide the bombarding of the viewer by the adverts on TV now,any film is,for me,virtually unwatchable on one of the commercial channels and almost all the programmes have no interest for me whatsoever.Regarding the ads themselves,I do not remember ever buying a product after seeing a TV commercial.Maybe its me,but we all have a multitude of channels to choose from but the programmes are complete lowest common denominator trash.

A couple of products I tried and loved after seeing the commercials were Mr. Clean Magic Erasers, Luvs diapers and Crest with Scope. They're all P&G products too (Procter & Gamble) so it's been easy to find coupons for them, which makes me love them even more. (Actually we don't use diapers anymore, but Luvs were always my favorite; they fit better, cost less, and coupons were plentiful).

I always flip the channel when a commercial comes on, know what I like/need so don't pay much attention. If I'm watching something I really am interested in, I might not switch during the commercials, but I probably have something I'm reading, or a sudoku or crossword puzzle in front of me that I'll loook at until the show is back on (or bathroom break or get some water or something).

The only thing I can think of right now is new movies that I haven't heard about yet, then I see a commercial, so I think about seeing it when it comes out. The one with Cameron Diaz and Jason Segel looks pretty funny from the commercial so I'll probably try to see it.

I usually work in the afternoons and evenings so I do not drink alot of coffee. I do like coffee although I do not need it everyday as some millions of people do.

I think that one of the dumbest t.v. commercials is from Dunkin Donuts. I should alter that and say that one of the dumbest slogans is by them. "America runs on Dunkin". In my opinion, absolutely beyond stupid and I cannot believe that Dunkin Donuts has the gall and the balls to say that. "America runs on Dunkin". One of the dumbest slogans I have ever heard.

I usually work in the afternoons and evenings so I do not drink alot of coffee. I do like coffee although I do not need it everyday as some millions of people do.

I think that one of the dumbest t.v. commercials is from Dunkin Donuts. I should alter that and say that one of the dumbest slogans is by them. "America runs on Dunkin". In my opinion, absolutely beyond stupid and I cannot believe that Dunkin Donuts has the gall and the balls to say that. "America runs on Dunkin". One of the dumbest slogans I have ever heard.

I've not been affected by their tv commercials, but IMO, they have the best coffee around. Way better than Starbucks :)

I loathe and despise TV channel commercial breaks. They steal your time, interupt your veiwing etc, etc, etc...............I effin' hate EM'

Thank F**k For sky+ and Freeview+. Now I can plan my live veiwing around the BBC. Everything me and the misses watch on AD-TV gets recorded (Absolutely no ITV though..with the exception of live footie)............It's F'ing great being able to zap through the breaks..................

TV ads should all be banned!!!!:):):)

One of the best ones I've seen of late is the Dorito commercial where the guy sets a rat trap with a chip as bait and he sits in a chair to watch the rat come out of the hole and BANG....a man sized rat busts through the wall, knocks the guy over and pounds the crap out of him.

:lol:

Good commercials are few and far between.

I get damned sick of the AARP ones. <_<

While commercials can be annoying in their deployment, I absolutely love an entertaining commercial.

They're like little 30 or 60 second movies, and often bring a great laugh.

It's actually pretty impressive and more than a little clever to be able to make a valid point or illustrate a concept in such a short time.

http://youtu.be/x0GsNhLt9Ds

And for those who've been around for a while, here's a classic blast from the past...

http://youtu.be/0yth2gwDWf0

But, to be absolutely clear, I don't care for commercials per se, but I do love and/or appreciate funny or well-done commercials.

well you're lucky then

most americans cannot see that caffeine is really just corporate speak for "non nicotine induced crack"

someday the smell of second hand cofee will be illegal indoors and in public places

where ya gonna get yer fix then

dunkin heads..........:blink:

A couple of products I tried and loved after seeing the commercials were Mr. Clean Magic Erasers, Luvs diapers and Crest with Scope. They're all P&G products too (Procter & Gamble) so it's been easy to find coupons for them, which makes me love them even more. (Actually we don't use diapers anymore, but Luvs were always my favorite; they fit better, cost less, and coupons were plentiful).

Sounds like you are a clean freak. Nothing wrong with that. Probably lots of men here in their fifties still wearing diapers. Ha. Anyway, I hate commercials. If they ever invent the TV that will automatically stop until the commercials are over Ill buy it.

well you're lucky then

most americans cannot see that caffeine is really just corporate speak for "non nicotine induced crack"

someday the smell of second hand cofee will be illegal indoors and in public places

where ya gonna get yer fix then

dunkin heads..........:blink:

You add nothing but pure garbage and trouble to this forum. You remind me of someone. I wonder if you can be that somone? That avatar fits you just right you fucking asshole.

Sounds like you are a clean freak. Nothing wrong with that. Probably lots of men here in their fifties still wearing diapers. Ha. Anyway, I hate commercials. If they ever invent the TV that will automatically stop until the commercials are over Ill buy it.

Oh no, not hardly :) But I love those magic erasers; makes it much easier to clean things!

• 6 months later...

This is 1 of my Fav Ads at the moment.. Has not made me run out to buy such garbage but just a fun Ad...

I recently heard a great radio commercial about ideas on getting rid of plumbers butt crack. :^)

Archived