Wilco

Jahfin

From CBSpressExpress.com:

GRAMMY® AWARD-WINNING CHICAGO ROCKERS, WILCO, TO PERFORM "LIVE ON LETTERMAN" WEBCAST, WEDNESDAY, SEPT. 21

CHEAT TWEET: Don't miss #Wilco #LiveOnLetterman webcast, Sept. 21, 8 pm et, CBS.com! http://bit.ly/pkaS0B

CBS Interactive Music Group's leading concert webcast series, LIVE ON LETTERMAN, will feature the Chicago rock band Wilco in a live webcast concert from the Ed Sullivan Theater in New York City, Wednesday, Sept. 21 (8:00 PM, ET/5:00 PM, PT). Wilco will perform fan favorites as well as songs from their forthcoming eighth studio record, The Whole Love, which features the new hit single, "I Might."

Fans can watch the Wilco webcast live or on-demand at http://www.cbs.com/late_night/liveonletterman/. In addition, the show is available live and on-demand through CBS properties, broadcast on select CBS RADIO stations, viewable live on CBS's JumboTron in Times Square, as well as via a live audio stream on Radio.com's mobile applications. The webcasts are also offered through VEVO's website, mobile and connected devices, and syndication partners.

Wilco was founded by Jeff Tweedy in 1994 after the dissolution of his previous group, alt-country standard bearers Uncle Tupelo. From its raucous roots-rock origins, Wilco has expanded its sound over the years to encompass classic pop and genre-spanning experimentalism. In their 17 years as a band, Wilco has been nominated for five GRAMMY® Awards and won two in 2005, including Best Alternative Music Album and Best Recording Package for A Ghost Is Born.

The Whole Love, which hits stores on Tuesday, Sept. 27, is the third album by Wilco's present lineup, which solidified in 2004 when avant-garde guitarist Nels Cline and guitarist/keyboardist Patrick Sansone joined bandleader Jeff Tweedy, founding bassist John Stirratt, drummer Glenn Kotche and keyboardist Mikael Jorgensen. The Whole Love captures the vibrant energy the band brings to its live performances and features 12 songs that showcase Wilco in a new light, through bold rock, somber acoustic ballads and punchy pop songs.

The band will spend most of the autumn on tour, starting Tuesday, Sept. 13 in Indianapolis and continuing with a European jaunt that begins Monday, Oct. 24 in Glasgow.

Wilco's LIVE ON LETTERMAN webcast will follow the taping of their performance on the LATE SHOW with DAVID LETTERMAN, which will be broadcast later that evening (11:35 PM-12:37 AM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

Edited by Jahfin

From NPR.org:

Today: Live Listening Party And Q&A With Wilco

Hear The Band's New Album And Send In Your Questions

Live At 12 Noon ET

wilco.jpg?t=1316020530&s=4

Courtesy of the artist

Join us live at 12 noon ET on Monday, Sept. 19, as we play the entire new Wilco album, The Whole Love, for a special online listening party. After that, Wilco's Jeff Tweedy, John Stirratt and Pat Sansone will join us to answer your questions about the new music. Just join us during the listening party and type your questions for the band in the chat window below. All Songs Considered hosts Bob Boilen and Robin Hilton will read your questions and throw in a few of their own.

Can't make the live listening party? Check back later and we'll have the entire new Wilco album available to hear as part of our First Listen series.

Edited by Jahfin

Hello friends, I was listening to the new wilco over at NPR. The first song was wrapped in such electronica that it immediately reminded me of Radiohead. Is this a new sonic direction for Wilco? Have some of their albums in the past sounded like Radiohead? Am I under a wrong impression here? Many regards!

Hello friends, I was listening to the new wilco over at NPR. The first song was wrapped in such electronica that it immediately reminded me of Radiohead. Is this a new sonic direction for Wilco? Have some of their albums in the past sounded like Radiohead? Am I under a wrong impression here? Many regards!

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot is the album where they really distanced themselves from the alt.country tag for good and were subsequently branded "iWilco" and the "alt.country version of Radiohead" (even though there was nary a hint of alt.country on that record), it was because of all of the sound effects along with the computer generated blips and surface noise. To many, it tied in with the overall theme of the record, like it was a random broadcast being heard over shortwave radio. At least that was the impression many had of it at the time. Since then, Wilco albums have continued to dabble more and more in experimentation but not nearly as much as they did with that record. I hope that helps answer your question.

Well, I guess it depends on the impression you had of Wilco. From your post, I am assuming you thought of Wilco as this good-timey alt.country band?

Actually, as far back as their second album, "Being There", they were experimenting with their sound and using electronica/noise techniques in recording. Just listen to the song "Misunderstood" off "Being There". Wilco continued to add flourishes to their sound, but it was with "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot" that they really opened people's eyes...especially the ones who still pigeon-holed them as an alt.country band.

Obviously Radiohead was the key influence, not just on Wilco but on many other bands, as well. It started with "The Bends" in 1995, but really the twin bombs of "OK Computer" and "Kid A" that exploded Radiohead's influence in the musical community. I mean, even the New Yorker's CLASSICAL MUSIC critic was writing paeans to Radiohead. Radiohead's run of albums from "The Bends" to "Amnesiac" will someday be looked on as great as some of the other great album runs, ie. Rolling Stones "Beggars Banquet" to "Exile on Main St.".

Of course, besides Radiohead, I believe there were two other acts that were key to getting people to think outside the box...that you didn't have to be constricted and bound by genre conventions. I speak of Beck and the Beastie Boys. Beck's "Odelay" in 1996 and the Beastie Boys' "Hello Nasty" in 1998 were each significant signposts in the 90s.

Anyway, by breaking the chains of the alt.country tag, Wilco were free to be whatever they wanted to be...who knows what the NEXT record after "The Whole Love" will sound like?

Now, back to the countdown, and here's a song that illustrates my point:

5!

Edited by Strider