Immigrant Song block chord?

selection7

I think the album version is probably the C9 without the 3rd, played as described in the first response of this thread:

-x

-x

-x

To my ears on the live version on the DvD he substitutes that chord for an E7#9 for the outro:

-x

On the album, why would you think he plays it as a C root when Page himself called it a G root chord? It also means you don't trust the tab from the magazine that interviewed Jimmy about it (the tabber specifically pointed out that the A-string 3rd fret is not being played but that people always think it is because JPJ's bass is in the mix)? Also consider that Jimmy specifically said the chord is unusual and you're suggesting very common chords instead. You could be right, but it's odd to gloss over that rather compelling evidence to the contrary. To clarify, when I was talking about the C9 no 3rd earlier, I was only referring to the chord that is formed when you add in Jonsey's bass playing the C.

The live version I know nothing about. It may not be an overtly hard chord for a good guitarist, but neither is it an easy chord to finger quickly and without unintentional mutings ...unless you're used to classical guitar voicings or something. He may have played it different ways over the years out of laziness.

Edited by selection7

It may not be an overtly hard chord for a good guitarist, but neither is it an easy chord to finger quickly and without unintentional mutings ...unless you're used to classical guitar voicings or something.

I'm not a good guitarist, but I find that chord (which I've always known as 'The Hendrix Chord') very easy to finger quickly & properly. It looks hard, but it's actually really easy.

The only really difficult JP chord for me is the one in No Quarter (add#11).

On the album, why would you think he plays it as a C root when Page himself called it a G root chord? It also means you don't trust the tab from the magazine that interviewed Jimmy about it (the tabber specifically pointed out that the A-string 3rd fret is not being played but that people always think it is because JPJ's bass is in the mix)? Also consider that Jimmy specifically said the chord is unusual and you're suggesting very common chords instead. You could be right, but it's odd to gloss over that rather compelling evidence to the contrary. To clarify, when I was talking about the C9 no 3rd earlier, I was only referring to the chord that is formed when you add in Jonsey's bass playing the C.

The live version I know nothing about. It may not be an overtly hard chord for a good guitarist, but neither is it an easy chord to finger quickly and without unintentional mutings ...unless you're used to classical guitar voicings or something. He may have played it different ways over the years out of laziness.

After watching that youtube video, I can see you are clearly correct about the chord having that G root (the one you wrote out is right). Sorry man, I glanced over your post and looked at the incorrect tab in the quote box. That chord sounded wrong to me (which it was), but the G note sounded off as a root, and I think its because my ears were just used to hearing the chord the way I've been playing it...the chord works good as a sub but whether or not its been used live I don't know. Like I said before I never thought the Em7#9 was what was used in the studio but the C9 without the 3rd, and now I see the version of it you wrote out is right likely for live playing and studio.

Edited by tdc

First, thanks for that Otto! Where were you weeks ago? I pretty much had 85% accepted that was the chord anyway but it's also cool to see such a great behind the scenes. :)

To tdc, anyone can have their opinion, I didn't care if you disagreed. I just found it annoying you didn't even say why...as if you were just ignoring my immediately previous post. As it turns out, well, you were, but apparently not on purpose so no harm done.

To bouillon, wrong chord. That purple haze chord is not how Jimbo plays it. On a related note, notice that after Page shows Perry the chord he flubs it the first time playing it in time, then doesn't really try it again. It made me wonder if his ego didn't want Page watching him have to practice his chord, lol.

Guitar playing is muscle memory. Even for guitar gods, if you've never done that exact chord shape before, you'll have to run through it some before you've got it down cold.

notice that after Page shows Perry the chord he flubs it the first time playing it in time, then doesn't really try it again. It made me wonder if his ego didn't want Page watching him have to practice his chord, lol.

Guitar playing is muscle memory. Even for guitar gods, if you've never done that exact chord shape before, you'll have to run through it some before you've got it down cold.

Thats exactly what I thought! You're totally right. :P Honestly, the first time I played that chord the same thing happened, so I don't blame Joe Perry. It's definitely not a commonly played shape...thanks again for posting that selection7 and otto, and my apologies for over-looking the initial post of selection7 the first time.

• 7 years later...
  • 1 year later...