Feather in the Wind - the latest book by Dave Lewis

austrianzeppelin

I just received my copy of Led Zeppelin - Feather in the wind - Over Europe 1980.

post-17489-0-71752500-1307717269_thumb.j

The latest book by world reknown Zeppelin chronicler Dave Lewis, takes an in depth look at the bands final tour before their untimely split.

Similar to his recent book about the Knebworth shows the book takes a 360 degree look at the tour that time seems to have forgotten. From inside the band, from the spectators in front of the stage and from people who spent time backstage. It analyses each show in amazing detail like no book before. It comes with a detailed look at bootlegs, official memorabilia and a great listing of sources that not only helped to shape this book, but are the key ingredients in the ongoing quest to keep the flame alive. Of course many of which are regulars here on this esteemed website.

I count myself lucky to have known Dave personally for a number of years and this book is further proof that his continuous contribution to the Zeppelin legacy can not be underestimated. Via his website, his TBL magazine and his books he chronicles the story of the greatest band ever with an attention to detail that many others can only dream of. His focus on the real story behind the band, its members and their music without the need to resort to the celebrity hype is unparalelled and long, long may it continue.

His books and the TBL magazine can be ordered via his website http://www.tblweb.com and anyone interested in the story behind his latest book should look at the pdf below which offers an in depth interview with TBL web editor Gary Foy about his time with the band on that final tour and the making of the book....fascinating stuff, and a must have for any serious Zeppelin fan.

Eye thank yew....

FITW-A3Press1-4.pdf

"I don't tend to trust people who don't like Led Zeppelin" - Jack White

This sounds very interesting. I might have to check it out. Hoping to find it somewhere for a good price. The cover art alone is pretty sweet. Thanks for the post. Always nice to know when things are coming out.

i'm considering buying this too but how honest is it? i know that dave lewis has a tendency to only see good in everything zeppelin did and rarely says that a gig was rubbish even if it plainly was, and some of the europe shows were a bit poor

i'm considering buying this too but how honest is it? i know that dave lewis has a tendency to only see good in everything zeppelin did and rarely says that a gig was rubbish even if it plainly was, and some of the europe shows were a bit poor

Anyone's review is inherently subjective because to some extent they are all self-referential. For example, Jimmy himself expressed post-concert disappointment with his playing in Berlin, but many whom were there have said they saw an outstanding performance.

Anyone's review is inherently subjective because to some extent they are all self-referential. For example, Jimmy himself expressed post-concert disappointment with his playing in Berlin, but many whom were there have said they saw an outstanding performance.

fair comment. i think what i mean is that i find dave's views to be very subjective and less objective than i would prefer. i have nothing against him and own several of his books

Steve,

Are you the same person who contributed to the "I was there" segment in this book, and attended ten of the shows that tour with your friend Richard?

What a great read, and what a great summer and memory you must have of the tour that time forgot! Incredible access you and Richard had to the band, the crew, etc..., and am also amazed at the fact that you were able to buy tickets to the first two nights of the tour, when you had to purchase tickets, and they were actually available! Here the great Led Zep hit the road for their first tour in 3 years, and you were able to buy tickets when you got to Germany! Unbelievable!

Steve,

Are you the same person who contributed to the "I was there" segment in this book, and attended ten of the shows that tour with your friend Richard?

No, that's Manchester-based Steve Jones, a friend of mine. I am SteveAJones, a name which is a sigil comprised of a base numeric of ten and the All Seeing Eye.

Dave did an interview yesterday on Planet Rock with Nicky Horne...in case you missed it here it is again.

Great stories in there, especially the one about Phil Carson doing a Peter Grant....enjoy

the interview starts straight after the news in the 2nd hour of the programme, although as always planet rock is worthy listening to all the time.

http://player.planet...=13&odItem=8310

Just got my copy and I highly recommend it! There are a ton of photos from the 80 tour (and in hotels) of which I have never seen before. (I have I have seen many)

My criticisms; One high quality photo of Plant on stage in Cologne is split over two pages but Plant's placement in the photo is dead center where the book binding is and you can't see him. There is another photo of Jimmy where the image is poor quality and it is blown up larger and you get the pixel problem. Also, I didn't care for the beginning of the book where the author and his friend are circled in a few Zeppelin concert photos.

Positives: The production qualty of the book is excellent. The sheer number of color photos are quite surprising. (Photos of the two locations where the band rehearsed are included) I look forward to reading all of the naratives in the next few days. Another big positive was the show by show breakdown of the tour including photos from each specific show along with songs and what Plant and Page may have said during the show including bootleg references.

There may have been one error in the book. It is notes that Bonzo shaved his beard before the last show but the photos identified from the show before the last clearly show Bonzo without a beard.

It was interesting the see a photo of the author in from of Bonzo's kit. It reminded me just how small of a kit he had. (Outside of the bass drum of course!) Bonzo used so few pieces in his kit and he got THAT sound!

Also of note, was Page's guitar tech's comments on the relationship between Paul Rodgers and Jimmy Page by the second Firm tour. (Hint: Seems Paul was suffering from a little LSD aka Lead Singers Disease)

Another interesting thing was read about the morning of Bozo's death. Apparently, after drinking too much and not much of a rehearsal, he went to bed at midnight and was checked on at 8 a.m. and seemed ok. Unfortunately, sometime after that he passed. (A similar fate to Page's photographer friend back in November 1979)

If your a Zeppelin fan, you will like this book.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived