Political correctness

bouillon

There have been some absurd examples in recent years, to the extent that the tail now appears to be wagging the dog. The recent 'Spring Spheres' episode turned out to be a hoax, but it could so easily have been genuine.

Talking of dogs, I had to pinch myself yesterday when I heard that a remake of 'The Dambusters' (screenplay by Stephen Fry) will feature a re-named version of Guy Gibson's dog. Apparently, he will now be known as 'Digger'.

What other ridiculous examples have posters seen recently?

There have been some absurd examples in recent years, to the extent that the tail now appears to be wagging the dog. The recent 'Spring Spheres' episode turned out to be a hoax, but it could so easily have been genuine.

Talking of dogs, I had to pinch myself yesterday when I heard that a remake of 'The Dambusters' (screenplay by Stephen Fry) will feature a re-named version of Guy Gibson's dog. Apparently, he will now be known as 'Digger'.

What other ridiculous examples have posters seen recently?

Hi Bouillon,

Yes, the days are gone when you called a Spade a Spade, no offence to any Diggers i can assure you as they are Australian Gold Miners, (i think) for the most part.

Regards, Danny

PS, Since the PC Brigade have taken over the world it has become very unfashionable to irritate the natives with our witty banter and name calling of those unmentionable, untouchable and irrelevant peasants of nations that are in reality beneath us, :o but just who US is i dont know any more. ;):lol:

The PC Brigade were about back in the early 80s, some East London Nursery Schools had to change the words to a Nursery Rhyme,

Baa Baa Black Sheep, became Baa Baa Purple Sheep...:wacko: Has anyone ever seen a Purple Sheep Grazing in a field..?

Some School's also now call 'Christmas', 'Winter Festival' as not to offend non Christians....:angry:

The little boy is Indian for fuck's sake. Where's the problem?

Sambo is a racial epithet, that's what.

Doesn't matter what the original story was, it was co-opted into a slur against African-Americans.

For fuck's sake.

The irony is Christmas IS a pagan holiday, the christians co-opted Saturnalia (old roman), and older solstice festivals and changed the date of Jesus's birth to coincide. The christians did this because they could not get the ex-pagans to give up this popular holiday. The christians later did the same with Samhain (Halloween), Oester (Easter), and Lupercallia (St. Valentine's Day). Also, Sambo's was bought out by Denny's in the early 80's over the controversy surrounding the name. I can't talk for England or any other place on the globe, I live in America; however growing up I witnessed some nasty segregation and prejudice against back people so I can understand if the black population in America was a bit offended. After all, once you have had a fire hose shoved up your ass and a german shepard take a bit out of you simply for being black in the wrong place at the wrong time, yeah, I can understand their point. As a white guy I have it damn good, and all white people have had it damn good for the past two thousand years so if we have to give some back I say god speed.

You know how in Britain we are all part of some "community" or other,except those that have no wish to be part of the wider British community,well I read some dope actually refering to,and I quote,"....the sex offender community". :slapface:

There was this chortlesome episode a while back:

http://abclocal.go.c...eles&id=7475737

And whilst searching for that, I found this:

http://cityhallblog....g-turns-ra.html

And this was a judge?

I mean really, WTF? WTF is their problem? Don't they realise that by showing their utter ignorance and paranoia they are simply adding to the stereotype that they are rightly trying to destroy, as well as holding themselves up to well-deserved ridicule?

But it's not just the USA. I believe there's a local council over here that has outlawed the use of the term 'black-balled'.

Maybe the word black, and all its derivatives, should just be banned altogether?

Well I just poured myself a bit of Glenfiddich single malt over ice.............lit up a cigarette and just for the hell of it decided to listen to "Brown Sugar" by the Stones. I'm old school don't you know.

I hope I just pissed off the PC brigade here to the point where their collective heads explode too. No loss.

Type O, how old are you? Are you sure Little Black Sambo was "co-opted" to slur black people? I ask because I was raised on that story along with many others and not once did I think about black people nor did my parents make a point that it was about black people............just the tiger that ran around the tree so fast it turned into butter. Have you ever read the story? Or did your teacher tell you this.

Well I just poured myself a bit of Glenfiddich single malt over ice.............lit up a cigarette and just for the hell of it decided to listen to "Brown Sugar" by the Stones. I'm old school don't you know.

I hope I just pissed off the PC brigade here to the point where their collective heads explode too. No loss.

Type O, how old are you? Are you sure Little Black Sambo was "co-opted" to slur black people? I ask because I was raised on that story along with many others and not once did I think about black people nor did my parents make a point that it was about black people............just the tiger that ran around the tree so fast it turned into butter. Have you ever read the story? Or did your teacher tell you this.

I'll be 51 in July.

Yes, I know the original story.

I've eaten in a Sambo's restaurant as a kid.

Regardless, the term Sambo is a perjorative slur for African-Americans.

Along the same lines as jiggaboo, spade, darkie and jungle bunny.

Again, it doesn't matter that the original story wasn't about African-Americans.

The word Sambo was used in a derogatory fashion to reference African-Americans.

And it doesn't matter if you never knew about it, or that your parents never told you that.

Simply because you are personally unaware of a particular fact, that does not negate it's validity.

So no, I'm not some young liberal wienie spouting things I only know from hearing about them.

I'm actually very conservative, politically and socially.

Now, in regards to the 2 stories bouillon referenced.

The first story perfectly illustrates what I've known for a long time.

The NAACP is not a black organization FIRST.

It is a LIBERAL organization FIRST.

In fact, it should be re-named the NAALCP - National Association for the Advancement of LIBERAL Colored People.

The have been co-opted by liberalism and they now place politics ahead of race.

Much the same as how NOW places politics above gender.

That's the reason they disingenuously hyperventilate over idiotic stories like the Hallmark card, but are oddly silent when conservative African-Americans are mercilessly slurred in mainstream newspapers and national magazines.

The second story illustrates idiots come in all skin colors.

And racists, too.

Yeah, I said it.

The guy that always challenges racist comments.

Despite what some people would have you believe (many of them African-American), black people can be racist, too.

And African-Americans who play the race card in cases like those referenced are most certainly racists, or at least race-baiters, which is practically as bad.

It's going to be a long hard road for both sides of the race aisle as long as this type of bullshit persists.

Racial insensitivity on one side and racial hyper-sensitivity on the other.

I, for one, will be happy (although obviously not around) when the people of the world become (as in one of Arthur C. Clarke's SF novels, maybe the Foundation series) varying shades of tan.

But even then, the lighter tans will probably dislike the darker tans, and vice-versa...

I, for one, will be happy (although obviously not around) when the people of the world become (as in one of Arthur C. Clarke's SF novels, maybe the Foundation series) varying shades of tan.

Brave post there, TypeO :bravo:

You'll be pleased to hear that I've done my bit to stir the pot (and thereby help strengthen the gene pool). My wife and I have a delightful little daughter, who is halfway between her mother's unusually dark Thai tone, and my hideous ghostly pallor. She certainly won't be needing to join the chavs down at the tanning salon. And as an added bonus, she has her mother's looks and my intelligence. Thank god it wasn't the other way round :D.

Btw, the Foundation trilogy was written by the king of the genre, Isaac Asimov.

Btw, the Foundation trilogy was written by the king of the genre, Isaac Asimov.

D'oh!

Right you are.

Relying on my memory gets me just what I deserve, lulz.

I did read the Foundation series a couple times, but it was easily 10 years ago or more since the last time.

my hideous ghostly pallor.

I often describe my own hue as a kind of fish-belly white. lulz

Actually, when I do get in the sun for extended periods, enough to get some color, I actually tan fairly dark for a white guy.

But it's been quite a while since I had an outside job that resulted in a tan.

I often describe my own hue as a kind of fish-belly white. lulz

Actually, when I do get in the sun for extended periods, enough to get some color, I actually tan fairly dark for a white guy.

But it's been quite a while since I had an outside job that resulted in a tan.

Hi TypeO,

I have been following your posts in this topic and i can see you are a well balanced guy, just let me say this? Colour Predudice is just one form of Predudice as you know, if its not someones skin tone it will be their hair colour, (right Gingers?) the fact that they wear glasses (Four Eyes) they have protruding teeth, (Goofy) cannot walk normaly, (Spastic) and there are many other forms that i have not mentioned, most of us if not all have been subjected to some form of bullying or other, but few of us have benn subjected to Racism.

Being Bullied because of your skin colour is not Racism, it is Bullying, Racism is MUCH worse than Bullying. Where i live here in London i have been subjected to Racism, from Black/Caribean/African People, from Jewish People, from Pakistani People, from Irish People, from Scottish People, even French, German, Spanish, Italian, Welsh, Greek, Turkish, Arab and Muslim People, and almost every other minority people that i have ever come in to contact with in this so called Racist Country of England, and i'm sure all those People have suffered Racism towards them from English People as well.

So to my point, Predudice, Bigotry, Racism is everywhere and commited by every Race, Colour and Creed against every Race, Colour and Creed thats just the way the worlds people deal with IGNORANCE and HATRED, we must never ignore it but we must get over it and try to be unlike the Racist, Predudiced Bigots that make the world a miserable place for so many to live in.

Peace to you all, Regards, Danny

Hi TypeO,

I have been following your posts in this topic and i can see you are a well balanced guy, just let me say this? Colour Predudice is just one form of Predudice as you know, if its not someones skin tone it will be their hair colour, (right Gingers?) the fact that they wear glasses (Four Eyes) they have protruding teeth, (Goofy) cannot walk normaly, (Spastic) and there are many other forms that i have not mentioned, most of us if not all have been subjected to some form of bullying or other, but few of us have benn subjected to Racism.

Being Bullied because of your skin colour is not Racism, it is Bullying, Racism is MUCH worse than Bullying. Where i live here in London i have been subjected to Racism, from Black/Caribean/African People, from Jewish People, from Pakistani People, from Irish People, from Scottish People, even French, German, Spanish, Italian, Welsh, Greek, Turkish, Arab and Muslim People, and almost every other minority people that i have ever come in to contact with in this so called Racist Country of England, and i'm sure all those People have suffered Racism towards them from English People as well.

I don't necessarily agree that bullying "because of your skin colour" is not racism.

I think that is the very definition of it.

Targeting someone because of their race (skin color) is racism.

And I don't think hair color, glasses, bad teeth, etc. is equivalent to racism, mostly because any race can share any of those qualities.

And you don't really see people not getting a job because they have red hair, or being trailed in an expensive store because they are wearing glasses.

Picking on people because of hair, or glasses, or whatever is certainly mean-spirited and would be most likely considered bullying, but that's really as far as the comparison goes.

So to my point, Predudice, Bigotry, Racism is everywhere and commited by every Race, Colour and Creed against every Race, Colour and Creed thats just the way the worlds people deal with IGNORANCE and HATRED, we must never ignore it but we must get over it and try to be unlike the Racist, Predudiced Bigots that make the world a miserable place for so many to live in.

This I can definitely agree with.

Don't know if you've ever seen the movie Crash, but it's one of the very best movies I've ever seen, specifically in addressing race relations.

It points an unflinching spotlight in all directions, sparing no one.

Definitely gives you something to think about.

Two shows I still love to watch:

'Sanford & Son' and 'All In The Family'

From Sanford & Son

Fred is defending Lamont in traffic court....

Fred to police officer: 'How come you never arrest any white people?'

Officer: 'I do!'

Fred: 'Well, where are they? Lookit all these niggers in here (courtroom). There's enough niggers in here to make a Tarzan movie!'

From All In The Family...

Jefferson (black neighbor) to Archie: 'You people don't know nothin'!'

Archie: 'You people???? You people are YOU people!'

I'm sure the PC censors would just LOVE to ban any of that dialogue.

Idiots!

<_<

Wow. I didn't realise we were even allowed to write that word any more. And you've done it twice.

Then again, maybe you're black, redrum? ;)

It shouldnt matter a dam what coloure he is Bouillon, the law should never allow one coloured group to use a word and not allow another coloured group to use it, in fact to be called a Racist for using it is fcuking Racist in any sane persons mind right?

This whole world is turned on its head, Racism exists everywhere but only Racism against BLACK people can carry any weight in this poxy liberal world we live in, i personaly have heard enough about White Racism, doesnt anyone bother to find out about all the Black Racism that is about in this world, and dont even get me going on about the Holacaust and how the Jews want everyone to feel sorry for them about what the Nazis did to them while at the same time commit atrocities against humanity every single day against the Palestinians, lets get it right for once and stop all this nonsence about using words when people the world over are being killed because of TRUE RACISM. THANK YOU.

Kind Regards, Danny

Any kind of identification or allegiance to a group, whether it be race and skin color, nationalism, rich or poor, straight or homosexual, baptist or catholic, whatever, leads to predjudice and bigotry.

I don't see any of the "us versus them" or "we're better than you are" or exclusion in any way different than racism.

There'll never be all-inclusiveness in this world. It's all about competitiveness, outgaining, separation, and elitism.

Until there's absolutely no discrimination of selection in all things material and cultural, racism will no only exist, but thrive.

Someone said something about all races blending, and everyone eventually being a shade of brown or tainted, if you will. But look out, someone will have a shade lighter or darker and 'racism' will still be found. Until we're all mentally and spiritually impure, that is, colored or blended, MIXED, the oneness won't exist. Until perception is neutered and sensitivity becomes numbness we will always see and feel our differences, and speak them.

And those changes ain't gonna ever happen.

Archived